Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 more weeks in my cast so no Barn party for Laurie R

Posted by Laurie R on 5/11/00 at 20:44 (020238)

Hi everyone,
I went to see my wonderful Pod today and I told him my cast is helping so much with the pain he wants me to leave it on other 3 weeks.He wants to make sure this time my foot really heals,it is a pain but it is worth it to me to get a good start on my treatment,and the most important thing is the pain is down if you guys can remenber 2 weeks ago I was ready to do surgery my self on my foot thank god I didn't (I really wouldn't ) but it did sound good at the time.

Boy this has been a hard week for alot of us I just want to say my heart really goes out to Wendyn I hope she is feeling better tonight ,also to Cindy I hope she can find a doctor that will help her .and my best to everyone else .Laurie R PS Ok Nancy I could come to the party only if you let me sit down all night ,but of course I will make you your Martini first oh yea someone said they wanted a sunrise I could do that too......

Re: 3 more weeks in my cast so no Barn party for Laurie R

NanaFitz aka Msfitz on 5/12/00 at 00:01 (020246)

Laurie R...I was put in a cast a few days ago (for my right heel cuz that's the worst) and what a difference it's made already. I think my foot and ankle feel more relaxed in the cast if that makes any sense. Anyway, I haven't been almost pain free in about l8 months. I think the cast will be on for about 4-5 weeks. How long has your cast been on so far, Laurie? Do you do anything else like take antiinflammatories or elevate it? The cast really makes you aware of the importance of rest......and to think the only reason I haven't had surgery is because my other POD. dropped my health insurance. Funnyl how things work out sometimes. Keep up the positive thinking and the sense of humor. Lots of luck...keep us posted. Thils is the first time I've had a positive feeling since my pf started. Thanks everyone. Nanafitz

Re: Burn the barn down...

Bob G. on 5/12/00 at 02:11 (020248)

Hang in there, Msfitz! You are a winner!

Nancy S. on 5/12/00 at 06:24 (020252)

Yes, good luck to Laurie and NanaFitz while resting your feet in your casts! I wish my ex-pod had suggested this back in September after a cortisone shot and $300 orthotics didn't magically cure me. He was lacking in the imagination department, and also . . . blah blah blah.
BOB: Please don't burn my barn down.
--Nancy

john h on 5/12/00 at 09:16 (020261)

when i had my cast on after surgery my foot felt great. when i took it off it felt so good i thought i was cured and as per my MO walked to much,etc. when your cast come off treat your foot carefully no matter how good it feels. the same thing sort of applies to cortisone shots. you feel good in many cases and tend to do to much. it is going to take time. my shot i had 16 days ago is still working.

mss on 5/12/00 at 20:32 (020308)

As ya'll's feet begin to feel better and better in the cast, remember not to overdo any activity that would make it hurt. I have been out of a removeable cast for 10 days and wearing new orthotics which seem to be working pretty good. After five weeks in the cast I begin to wear shoes, with orthotics, one hour more each day to let the foot return to normal. The doctor then casted feet for the orthotics and told me to wear the cast until they came in, which I think was a plan to keep me in a cast for three more weeks. It was a good idea, the last couple of weeks there was basically no pain at all. This made a total of 8 weeks. I think the thing that is good about a removeable cast is the same thing that is bad about it, it can be taken off. I had to hide all the right shoes so I did not cheat the last couple of weeks. I agree with everyone who says to take care when the cast comes off and slowly build up. I sure hope that plan continues to work for my foot. I learned this trick from people on this board so when the doctor said it, I understood how important it was. Good Luck to everyone!

NanaFitz aka Msfitz on 5/12/00 at 00:01 (020246)

Laurie R...I was put in a cast a few days ago (for my right heel cuz that's the worst) and what a difference it's made already. I think my foot and ankle feel more relaxed in the cast if that makes any sense. Anyway, I haven't been almost pain free in about l8 months. I think the cast will be on for about 4-5 weeks. How long has your cast been on so far, Laurie? Do you do anything else like take antiinflammatories or elevate it? The cast really makes you aware of the importance of rest......and to think the only reason I haven't had surgery is because my other POD. dropped my health insurance. Funnyl how things work out sometimes. Keep up the positive thinking and the sense of humor. Lots of luck...keep us posted. Thils is the first time I've had a positive feeling since my pf started. Thanks everyone. Nanafitz

Bob G. on 5/12/00 at 02:11 (020248)

Hang in there, Msfitz! You are a winner!

Nancy S. on 5/12/00 at 06:24 (020252)

Yes, good luck to Laurie and NanaFitz while resting your feet in your casts! I wish my ex-pod had suggested this back in September after a cortisone shot and $300 orthotics didn't magically cure me. He was lacking in the imagination department, and also . . . blah blah blah.
BOB: Please don't burn my barn down.
--Nancy

john h on 5/12/00 at 09:16 (020261)

when i had my cast on after surgery my foot felt great. when i took it off it felt so good i thought i was cured and as per my MO walked to much,etc. when your cast come off treat your foot carefully no matter how good it feels. the same thing sort of applies to cortisone shots. you feel good in many cases and tend to do to much. it is going to take time. my shot i had 16 days ago is still working.

mss on 5/12/00 at 20:32 (020308)

As ya'll's feet begin to feel better and better in the cast, remember not to overdo any activity that would make it hurt. I have been out of a removeable cast for 10 days and wearing new orthotics which seem to be working pretty good. After five weeks in the cast I begin to wear shoes, with orthotics, one hour more each day to let the foot return to normal. The doctor then casted feet for the orthotics and told me to wear the cast until they came in, which I think was a plan to keep me in a cast for three more weeks. It was a good idea, the last couple of weeks there was basically no pain at all. This made a total of 8 weeks. I think the thing that is good about a removeable cast is the same thing that is bad about it, it can be taken off. I had to hide all the right shoes so I did not cheat the last couple of weeks. I agree with everyone who says to take care when the cast comes off and slowly build up. I sure hope that plan continues to work for my foot. I learned this trick from people on this board so when the doctor said it, I understood how important it was. Good Luck to everyone!