Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

some success-

Posted by ChrisO on 5/12/00 at 16:44 (020284)

Hey everyone - just thought I'd share an itty bitty amount of success from the San Diego corner of the USA!
For me there is no question the ART and WAITING is producing some success. I also decided to get rid of the 'structure-changing' orthotics from the Chiropractor and go back to the softer ones, shaped by computer to my very own foot. I have a sort of circular driveway which takes about 3 minutes to walk around. Two days ago, I walked it, then jogged it for a total of 4 times around. I stopped to cut some roses with each lap! Certainly no huge triumph but no pain either! Yesterday I actually did an entire step-aerobic workout with my step all-the-way low and cross-trainers with inserts. I kept my 'effort' as minimal as possible and I can't say that my pain increased at all. In fact, I can pretty much get around the house for about 6 hours with minimal heel pain - a year ago I was lucky if that was 6 minutes. I'm becoming more and more certain that my remaining pain, high up on the arch of the foot that had been casted, is a result of the cast causing some sort of inflammation - I didn't have it before the cast nor before the rigid inserts. My husband had TTS for a while after his PF surgery and I suspect strongly that that may well be what I'm dealing with now - I'm asking the Pod for an MRI. For those of you who will quickly caution me to not overdue - well, I'm the GURU of not overdoing - I'm SO paranoid! My next workout will be on my recumbant bike so that I won't do 'foot' stuff more than a single day in a row. Now, may I ask all of you a question? Do you find that when you are distracted your foot doesn't hurt as much? Mine hurts a lot more when I'm sitting still at the computer or resting it. Sometimes I think that I allowed it to get too stiff through disuse over time and it needs some movement to 'warm up' - just like a sore muscle. Last, both BobG and Nancy have been consistently telling us that the traditional treatments, over time, seem to be working - albiet slowly. I depend on that information quite a bit and can't help but wonder if those traditional treatments (that our Docs keep talking about) really are what those Docs say they are - the answer, (not withstanding other structural or neurological issues )over time.

Re: some success-

john h on 5/12/00 at 16:47 (020286)

step aerobics!!!!! cannot think of anything worse except maybe tyboe. what was that old 60's saying 'if it feels good do it'! CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION!!!!!!

ChrisO on 5/12/00 at 16:58 (020289)

Yes! Absolute caution. Sure was nice to feel 'aerobically' good for a day though! Thanks.

Nancy S. on 5/12/00 at 19:00 (020303)

Chris, like you, I've definitely experienced stiffness from my 'radical rest.' (But the rest was definitely needed, healing, and worth it.) As soon as I started tryingto get back to some activity, I felt stiffness in my achilles tendon and even had a little swelling around the ankle. The whole foot felt weak -- so I've been doing the heat,massage, ice bit, much more religiously than before, plus gentle calf stretching and a strengthening exercise Alan wrote about around a week or two ago. I think you're right that movement helps, but I've been taking it slow at that, just gradually building up what I do and how long I stay on my feet between rests. So far so good, and the stiffness is decreasing now. I do think the key after disuse is to build back up very very slowly. In this case, paranoia is a good thing! Better to increase activity more slowly than necessary than too quickly. We all know where that lands us! Setback City. --Nancy

Bob G. on 5/12/00 at 23:39 (020318)

Hard to say, Chis, each of us is differenct. Glad to hear you are progressing.

You may be dealing with something I have no experience with, but for me, total rest came first. Then, I began working my way back into activities.

From what you are posting and from what I know, I would suggest resting it. But I am not a doctor. There may be other solutions more appropriate that would require medical prognosis.

Best to you!

john h on 5/12/00 at 16:47 (020286)

step aerobics!!!!! cannot think of anything worse except maybe tyboe. what was that old 60's saying 'if it feels good do it'! CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION!!!!!!

ChrisO on 5/12/00 at 16:58 (020289)

Yes! Absolute caution. Sure was nice to feel 'aerobically' good for a day though! Thanks.

Nancy S. on 5/12/00 at 19:00 (020303)

Chris, like you, I've definitely experienced stiffness from my 'radical rest.' (But the rest was definitely needed, healing, and worth it.) As soon as I started tryingto get back to some activity, I felt stiffness in my achilles tendon and even had a little swelling around the ankle. The whole foot felt weak -- so I've been doing the heat,massage, ice bit, much more religiously than before, plus gentle calf stretching and a strengthening exercise Alan wrote about around a week or two ago. I think you're right that movement helps, but I've been taking it slow at that, just gradually building up what I do and how long I stay on my feet between rests. So far so good, and the stiffness is decreasing now. I do think the key after disuse is to build back up very very slowly. In this case, paranoia is a good thing! Better to increase activity more slowly than necessary than too quickly. We all know where that lands us! Setback City. --Nancy

Bob G. on 5/12/00 at 23:39 (020318)

Hard to say, Chis, each of us is differenct. Glad to hear you are progressing.

You may be dealing with something I have no experience with, but for me, total rest came first. Then, I began working my way back into activities.

From what you are posting and from what I know, I would suggest resting it. But I am not a doctor. There may be other solutions more appropriate that would require medical prognosis.

Best to you!