Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One step forward... One step back... Frustration!

Posted by Beverly on 5/15/00 at 00:33 (020375)

My feet were doing so much better! No, I was not pain free, but I was getting around more. Like, I could go to the grocery store with only moderate discomfort.

Earlier this week I went to a play and I was on concrete alot. But mostly, I was sitting, but it was a hard concrete floor. And yes, I probably did stand around more than I should have.

Since then I feel like my left foot is really relapsing. It not only hurts. Sometimes it tingles. I barely made it for my trek to Barnes and Noble.

My soft orthodics should be in by the end of the week. I'm hoping they will help.

One good thing, my Tennis Elbow is just about healed. I wish I could say that much for my foot.

What I am learning from all of this is to stop when I start to hurt.
I did a few basic life neccesities this weekend life eat, and I went to church,and when I got bored, I surfed the Net, but other than that, I kept my feet up and on ice alot. I never knew I was going to get so reaquainted with Nick at Nite and all my childhood TV shows like 'My Three Sons.'

One thing I'm curious about, how does being on the computer affect you? Almost all of my work is done sitting down. I know I'm lucky. And most of you know, I work mostly at home. But I have noticed that if I sit for a long time at the computer (even taking walk around the house breaks), my feet start to bother me.

To those of you out there who have been dealing with this awhile, what do you think? (I'm at 2 months.) I keep getting kinda better, but then
I fall backwards. Yet, I know I have as good as chance as anyone could since I don't spend much time standing on my foot and I control my own schedule, and I caught this early. But it seems like this ought to be getting better faster. I have a friend who had PF, and she got over it in 2 months, and now feels completely normal!

Compared to where I was at my worst when I was literally limping, I feel about 20% - 40 %, better depending on the day. Today I'm at the low end of that scale.

Beverly

Re: One step forward... One step back... Frustration!

Bob G. on 5/15/00 at 01:24 (020377)

Hello Bev!

You are on the right track - if it hurts, stop doing whatever. I feel you will recover if you take care of those feet. I am hoping you are having, or will have, much success with the NightSplint. You may lose some sleep getting used to it, but walking pain-free is a nice reward.

I do a lot of work on my computer and have not suffered any ill effects. But I keep active, up and down and around a lot - and I hit my FootFlex often with very gentle stretches.

Your soft-gel inserts will probably provide some welcome relief. I know I had insert adjustments, more or less, as I tried to lessen the pain and increase the comfort zone.

Fred McMurray? And Rob, Chip and the one with the wing-tipped shoes! Just guessing.

Best of luck to you!

Mary J. on 5/15/00 at 06:10 (020382)

Beverly, I have tennis elbow in my left elbow, also. It started about 4 years ago when my PF on my left foot started. The doctor says there is no connection. The funny thing is when I take anti-inflammatories for my foot, the tennis elbow gets well. But the foot pain stays. Weird!

Re: tingling

alan k on 5/15/00 at 07:35 (020385)

Tingling is not generally associated with pf, except insofar as pf can lead to nerve impingement problems and sometimes tts. Get that tingling checked out. Also, do a 'tinnel's sign' test (do word search).

Keep off your feet. My recent relapse due to overactivity (walking for hours on hard pavement) has taken many weeks to return back to where I was before (not quite there yet). That'll learn us.

To keep off nerve impingements:

1) rest

2) massage calves

3) massage feet

4) gentle strengthening

5) gentle stretching

I do a regular song and dance with mild tts, thus proving that there is something one can do about it. Whether my work with mild tts would help those with more severe tts is unknown.

Probably you have very mild tts at most.

alan k

Re: correction

alan k on 5/15/00 at 07:47 (020389)

Actually I didn't mean to say that you probably have tts, but that probably there is some very mild nerve impingement that can go away with rest, but that you should also see a professional about the tingling just to nip it in the bud.

alan k

Re: Tennis elbow

Kim B. on 5/15/00 at 17:01 (020408)

So Mary, if you treat your elbow, your foot will feel better! Just kidding, it's obvious that your elbow responds to anti-inflammatory and your foott don't. My feet barely if ever, respond to those kinds of meds either.

Do a search on 'tennis elbow' or 'air cast'. I posted a while back how I relieved some of my elbow pain and eventually got rid of my tennis elbow.

Regards, Kim B,

Bob G. on 5/15/00 at 01:24 (020377)

Hello Bev!

You are on the right track - if it hurts, stop doing whatever. I feel you will recover if you take care of those feet. I am hoping you are having, or will have, much success with the NightSplint. You may lose some sleep getting used to it, but walking pain-free is a nice reward.

I do a lot of work on my computer and have not suffered any ill effects. But I keep active, up and down and around a lot - and I hit my FootFlex often with very gentle stretches.

Your soft-gel inserts will probably provide some welcome relief. I know I had insert adjustments, more or less, as I tried to lessen the pain and increase the comfort zone.

Fred McMurray? And Rob, Chip and the one with the wing-tipped shoes! Just guessing.

Best of luck to you!

Mary J. on 5/15/00 at 06:10 (020382)

Beverly, I have tennis elbow in my left elbow, also. It started about 4 years ago when my PF on my left foot started. The doctor says there is no connection. The funny thing is when I take anti-inflammatories for my foot, the tennis elbow gets well. But the foot pain stays. Weird!

Re: tingling

alan k on 5/15/00 at 07:35 (020385)

Tingling is not generally associated with pf, except insofar as pf can lead to nerve impingement problems and sometimes tts. Get that tingling checked out. Also, do a 'tinnel's sign' test (do word search).

Keep off your feet. My recent relapse due to overactivity (walking for hours on hard pavement) has taken many weeks to return back to where I was before (not quite there yet). That'll learn us.

To keep off nerve impingements:

1) rest

2) massage calves

3) massage feet

4) gentle strengthening

5) gentle stretching

I do a regular song and dance with mild tts, thus proving that there is something one can do about it. Whether my work with mild tts would help those with more severe tts is unknown.

Probably you have very mild tts at most.

alan k

Re: correction

alan k on 5/15/00 at 07:47 (020389)

Actually I didn't mean to say that you probably have tts, but that probably there is some very mild nerve impingement that can go away with rest, but that you should also see a professional about the tingling just to nip it in the bud.

alan k

Re: Tennis elbow

Kim B. on 5/15/00 at 17:01 (020408)

So Mary, if you treat your elbow, your foot will feel better! Just kidding, it's obvious that your elbow responds to anti-inflammatory and your foott don't. My feet barely if ever, respond to those kinds of meds either.

Do a search on 'tennis elbow' or 'air cast'. I posted a while back how I relieved some of my elbow pain and eventually got rid of my tennis elbow.

Regards, Kim B,