Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hope this helps

Posted by Bob G. on 5/15/00 at 01:05 (020376)

At the 10-week pain-free mark, here's my report. Last July, August, September I was in such pain, at times could barely walk on my left foot. For those of you like Steve P., you CAN do something. This is what is working for me.

Stop doing activities that injure. That could be running, tennis, whatever. Even little things like cleaning the tub. Sorry, life's not fair. (Of course, clean the tub, but don't re-injure your PF) Rest for as long as it takes to allow your PF to heal - could be MONTHS, or longer. I used the NightSplint to hasten the healing and highly recommend it. I just now went 3 nights without wearing my NightSplint and could feel the PF coming back (scary!) - no pain, BUT I could feel it coming on. Hey, I don't want to go back. I must continue to wear my NightSplint more often than not.

Stretching is very important, but I have learned this subject varies with the individual. My first time around (9 years ago) the doctor prescribed the straight-legged wall stretch and it worked. This time around, stretching was re-injuring and set me back. So you gotta be the judge in your own case.

The FOOTFLEX is located between my computer and desk, so I get to do many little GENTLE stretches all day long. It works great. Three or four short (1 or 2 second holds) straight and bent-leg stretches while I'm working.

My foot is feeling better each day and is gaining strength. When I was not exercising (10 months) I completely cut-out fast foods. Now, please don't temp me!!!

Hope y'all (California accent) had a wonderful Mother's Day. I got to see mine. :)

Re: Hope this helps

Lori R. on 5/16/00 at 20:27 (020466)

My foot was feeling great and then I took my daughter's tennis lesson on Sunday and I ran but not 100% of the time. It is amazing how the pain just occured again. The good thing is I now massage the area and give it pressure points and it feels so much better. Stretching it on stationary bike and a machine where you slide feet alternating and move your hands has also been very helpful. The health club and a trainer have shown me good things to do with strengthening my calf muscle.

I loved your story and it gives me so much incentive. Thanks again.

Bob G. on 5/17/00 at 05:57 (020476)

Thank you, Lori! Best of luck to you and your recovery!

Lori R. on 5/16/00 at 20:27 (020466)

My foot was feeling great and then I took my daughter's tennis lesson on Sunday and I ran but not 100% of the time. It is amazing how the pain just occured again. The good thing is I now massage the area and give it pressure points and it feels so much better. Stretching it on stationary bike and a machine where you slide feet alternating and move your hands has also been very helpful. The health club and a trainer have shown me good things to do with strengthening my calf muscle.

I loved your story and it gives me so much incentive. Thanks again.

Bob G. on 5/17/00 at 05:57 (020476)

Thank you, Lori! Best of luck to you and your recovery!