Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch strain

Posted by Angie on 5/15/00 at 17:22 (020410)

I am new to the board. I have been suffering with PF since Oct 99. The last two months I have not been having the 'morning' pain any longer, and the only considerable pain I have been having the last two months is a terrible strained feeling in my arch-but only when I stand still (like in a grocery line!). The strain runs from the inside portion of the heel and runs up just below my ankle bone. My question is - has anyone had this happen? I don't know what to think- is it healing because I no longer have morning pain- and if so how do I take the strain off of the inner portion of my heel. I do tape and strap-wear orthotics. I have not tried the ankle braces yet. I am thinking that maybe that might help???? Any suggestions??? Angie

Re: Arch strain

Bob G. on 5/15/00 at 21:57 (020418)

Ouch! that sounds like my pain. Hello, Angie, I've been pain-free ten weeks. The NightSplint was a big help in getting cured, so that is my suggestion to you. Best of luck!

Nancy S. on 5/16/00 at 03:33 (020428)

Hi Angie -- I've had some different pains like you describe since lengthy rest and PF improvement. And I've found an ankle support a great help at times. I have the Futuro ankle support, but I've seen others that look like they'd help as well. The Futuro is elastic, ace-bandage-like, and it gives extra support to my arch as well as keeping my kind of wobbly ankle more stable. I would recommend that you give it a try -- it's only eight bucks. --Nancy

ChuckC on 5/16/00 at 15:39 (020450)

Angie, I had that also. It feels like your skin is tightening. When it first started happening, it was only when I was standing still. After a few weeks I started feeling that way when I was sitting. It was never too bad when I was moving. At first the tightness was only on the bottom of my foot and up to the inside ankle bone. Over a few weeks it got worse and progressed to the top of my foot. It then started very gradually going away--just like the sharp PF pains did.

Mine also started when my the sharp pains from my PF subsided (last September). Presently, every once in a while I will get the feeling, but not very often. I think Vitamin B-12 and wearing a massage sandal that has a good arch support helped mine fade.

Angie on 5/16/00 at 16:37 (020452)

Bob- did you do any other conservative treatments to cure yourself (other than the night splint)? Angie

Angie on 5/16/00 at 16:45 (020454)

Has anyone ever asked the doctor why this happens? I am wondering if it is because the PF is now weakened from the trauma???? It is almost like the fascia is now bearing too much weight and is too strained. I am not overweight though. That is why I am so confused. Should I be doing fascia strengthening exercises so that it can begin to bear the weight??? Any thoughts or ideas anyone can give is surely appreciated. I am open to all ideas. ANgie

ChuckC on 5/16/00 at 17:10 (020459)

I did not bother to go back to my podiatrist and ask about the straining of the skin. I had given up on him helping me. He was wasting my time and my money (he was not worth the $5 co-payment).

I cannot recommend stretching and strengthening exercises. I tried them for a couple of months and it did not seem to improve my foot. I then talked to a friend who was cured from PF and he said don't do any stretching or strengthening exercises until the PF is gone. I took his advice and shortly after that I started improving.

I do not think weight had anything to do with the straining of my skin. I too am not overweight--probably a little underweight if anything.

Everybodys PF seems to be different. We are willing to try anything to get rid of it. I hate to say it, but the only cure seems to be time and what is required varies from one person to the next.

Bob G. on 5/15/00 at 21:57 (020418)

Ouch! that sounds like my pain. Hello, Angie, I've been pain-free ten weeks. The NightSplint was a big help in getting cured, so that is my suggestion to you. Best of luck!

Nancy S. on 5/16/00 at 03:33 (020428)

Hi Angie -- I've had some different pains like you describe since lengthy rest and PF improvement. And I've found an ankle support a great help at times. I have the Futuro ankle support, but I've seen others that look like they'd help as well. The Futuro is elastic, ace-bandage-like, and it gives extra support to my arch as well as keeping my kind of wobbly ankle more stable. I would recommend that you give it a try -- it's only eight bucks. --Nancy

ChuckC on 5/16/00 at 15:39 (020450)

Angie, I had that also. It feels like your skin is tightening. When it first started happening, it was only when I was standing still. After a few weeks I started feeling that way when I was sitting. It was never too bad when I was moving. At first the tightness was only on the bottom of my foot and up to the inside ankle bone. Over a few weeks it got worse and progressed to the top of my foot. It then started very gradually going away--just like the sharp PF pains did.

Mine also started when my the sharp pains from my PF subsided (last September). Presently, every once in a while I will get the feeling, but not very often. I think Vitamin B-12 and wearing a massage sandal that has a good arch support helped mine fade.

Angie on 5/16/00 at 16:37 (020452)

Bob- did you do any other conservative treatments to cure yourself (other than the night splint)? Angie

Angie on 5/16/00 at 16:45 (020454)

Has anyone ever asked the doctor why this happens? I am wondering if it is because the PF is now weakened from the trauma???? It is almost like the fascia is now bearing too much weight and is too strained. I am not overweight though. That is why I am so confused. Should I be doing fascia strengthening exercises so that it can begin to bear the weight??? Any thoughts or ideas anyone can give is surely appreciated. I am open to all ideas. ANgie

ChuckC on 5/16/00 at 17:10 (020459)

I did not bother to go back to my podiatrist and ask about the straining of the skin. I had given up on him helping me. He was wasting my time and my money (he was not worth the $5 co-payment).

I cannot recommend stretching and strengthening exercises. I tried them for a couple of months and it did not seem to improve my foot. I then talked to a friend who was cured from PF and he said don't do any stretching or strengthening exercises until the PF is gone. I took his advice and shortly after that I started improving.

I do not think weight had anything to do with the straining of my skin. I too am not overweight--probably a little underweight if anything.

Everybodys PF seems to be different. We are willing to try anything to get rid of it. I hate to say it, but the only cure seems to be time and what is required varies from one person to the next.