Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ART

Posted by Barbara on 5/16/00 at 13:01 (020439)

I've been reading alot about the ART sessions many on this board have received.

I've received ART for my tennis elbow. I asked my ART Chiropractor about ART technique on feet and he said it really cannot be done.

True ART (Active Release Technique) is deep massage done on a joint while the the joint is moved (through it's full range of motion) by the patient. Thats why it's called ACTIVE release. Since you cannot move your arch or heal it is not true ART. What all of you have really been getting is just very deep massage. But as long as it works!!!

There was a great article about ART in Mens Health magazine a few months ago. It explained everything.

Re: ART

ChrisO on 5/16/00 at 14:21 (020443)

Hi Barbara - your information on the ART for PF is something I'd not heard at all. But I also had not necessarily researched the various applications of ART. Because I found it here on the website, I just assumed it'd be good for PF. I've had about 8 treatments now - which my chiro has referred to as ART. It's definately helping but I kinda wish my Chiro would have educated me as you have done here.

PattyS on 5/16/00 at 15:00 (020446)

I don't care what they call it-ART worked for me! I would have to agree that it really felt like deep massage, but it has been 2 weeks since I had my last treatment and my feet have never felt better. I am still wearing the Birks, almost exclusively and still searching for walking shoes that will really work for me. I have been to Vegas and North Carolina for weekend trips which have both involved lots of walking. I will be going to Lake Tahoe over Memorial Day Weekend, but think I will not go on the strenuous hikes my kids and hubby have planned ( as I am convinced that the PF was a result of hiking in Yosemite) Otherwise, I feel pretty much back to normal and am slowly increasing my walking for exercise. Patty

ChrisO on 5/16/00 at 15:07 (020448)

Patty it is such good news that you're progressing so well! I too have really enjoyed the ART stuff and always look forward to it. I can honestly say that that is the single thing that has done the most for me but I think I still have a ways to go. It's pretty smart of you to decide not to hike in Tahoe ( think pool, think margarita, think sunshine!) and I'll bet you'll be way happy to not have done it.

Kim B. on 5/16/00 at 16:12 (020451)

I was under the impression that the ART therapy is to relieve the entrapment and pinched nerves on or around the ANKLE. It makes since to me that this can lead to relief because... (all together now)... the ankle bone's connected to the heel bone...

Anyway, the information you provided is very interesting.

Regards, Kim B.

100 bottles of Beer on the wall, 100 bottles of beer!...

Re: ART - to Patty and Chris - I am feeling little improvement after two ART sessions

Helen on 5/17/00 at 20:13 (020511)

To Patty and Chris and others who have tried ART:

How long did it take until you noticed results with ART? I have had two treatments and so far only had a couple of good days after the first treatment. After second treatment I have had mostly bad days. Any information on how your recovery was, quickly or slow and steady? Did you do other things to help it ie PFTs or golf balls under the feet? I am currently doing both, and icing. I am also wondering if I should be a lot more careful at this point, and not walk much outside on the sidewalk. Really, this is very hard to manage, as it is warm lovely weather and I have to take my one year old out for walks.

Best of luck,

Helen

Re: ART - to Patty and Chris - I am feeling little improvement after two ART sessions

Ruth M on 5/18/00 at 00:29 (020516)

Helen,
Who is doing your ART treatments? Not all ART practitioners are equal. Patty's ART therapy has been beneficial because Dr. Joe Leahy did it. He and his brother Mike, by the way, developed this procedure. For those of you who are interested in ART do a search and read my posts from about 2 years ago and more recently from 2 or 3 months ago.

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 09:42 (020531)

Hi Helen - I think it took me 3 or 4 ART's to start feeling some relief. The first three were quite painful but it's lessened progressively since. I've had about 9 now, I think and I've gotten to the point where I practically crave them! I think that the ART has been the single most effective thing I've done to date.
I also ice 2 or 3 times a day, apply Ibuprofen cream after that and do some gently stretching by simply pushing my big toe back gently, no hold, about 30 to 40 times. I'm one of the 'lucky' ones who doesn't have small children (I sure miss that, though!) but I can completely understand your frustration and not being able to take the little one on a simple walk! Perhaps you could play in the grass with him instead? Best wishes.

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 09:46 (020532)

Hi Ruth - My ART is with a Chiro here in the San Diego area. He was one recommended by Dr. Leahy's office. However, it's a 30 minute drive for me so I'm going to call around my 'covered' Chiro's in my immediate area to see if any have the training and simply didn't make it to Dr. Leahy's list. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. One of our local schools-of-medicine provides the coursework for ART certification. I take it you had the ART - did you like it?

PattyS on 5/18/00 at 17:51 (020557)

Helen,
I felt relief immediately. It was not 100% after the first session, but at least 50% better. Each session built on that. The first session was painful, though not excrutiating. Got better after that. Dr. Leahy did tell me that if you did not experience relief after the first few treatments that it might not work for you. My insurance does cover chiro, but Dr. leahy was not on the list. I decided to pay for it myself since he had such a good reputation. Patty

Re: thanks for the information on ART experience

Helen on 5/18/00 at 19:51 (020562)

Hi and thanks to those of you who responded to my questions re ART. I may have had some improvement. It's just that whenever I pick up my daugther - and I have to do this every day a few times as she is just over one year old - it flares again. I am wearing some good sandals which are now helping. I will have a real conversation with Dr. Scapaticci next time. He is supposed to be very good - treats famous athletes, etc. But he is only seeing me once a week, and this time he had to cancel a session so there will be a two week gap. In the mean time, I am rolling golf balls under my foot as instructed.

Happy Heeling.

Helen

Ruth M on 5/19/00 at 00:28 (020574)

Hi Chris,
If you go back a couple of years you can read about my foot and ART experience in excruciating detail....but the long and short of it is that I could barely walk before ART and my foot is normal now.

PattyS on 5/19/00 at 15:28 (020608)

Helen,
You really should try to see the chiro 3x a week in the beginning of your treatment. I don't think that 1x a week is enough. patty

ChrisO on 5/16/00 at 14:21 (020443)

Hi Barbara - your information on the ART for PF is something I'd not heard at all. But I also had not necessarily researched the various applications of ART. Because I found it here on the website, I just assumed it'd be good for PF. I've had about 8 treatments now - which my chiro has referred to as ART. It's definately helping but I kinda wish my Chiro would have educated me as you have done here.

PattyS on 5/16/00 at 15:00 (020446)

I don't care what they call it-ART worked for me! I would have to agree that it really felt like deep massage, but it has been 2 weeks since I had my last treatment and my feet have never felt better. I am still wearing the Birks, almost exclusively and still searching for walking shoes that will really work for me. I have been to Vegas and North Carolina for weekend trips which have both involved lots of walking. I will be going to Lake Tahoe over Memorial Day Weekend, but think I will not go on the strenuous hikes my kids and hubby have planned ( as I am convinced that the PF was a result of hiking in Yosemite) Otherwise, I feel pretty much back to normal and am slowly increasing my walking for exercise. Patty

ChrisO on 5/16/00 at 15:07 (020448)

Patty it is such good news that you're progressing so well! I too have really enjoyed the ART stuff and always look forward to it. I can honestly say that that is the single thing that has done the most for me but I think I still have a ways to go. It's pretty smart of you to decide not to hike in Tahoe ( think pool, think margarita, think sunshine!) and I'll bet you'll be way happy to not have done it.

Kim B. on 5/16/00 at 16:12 (020451)

I was under the impression that the ART therapy is to relieve the entrapment and pinched nerves on or around the ANKLE. It makes since to me that this can lead to relief because... (all together now)... the ankle bone's connected to the heel bone...

Anyway, the information you provided is very interesting.

Regards, Kim B.

100 bottles of Beer on the wall, 100 bottles of beer!...

Helen on 5/17/00 at 20:13 (020511)

To Patty and Chris and others who have tried ART:

How long did it take until you noticed results with ART? I have had two treatments and so far only had a couple of good days after the first treatment. After second treatment I have had mostly bad days. Any information on how your recovery was, quickly or slow and steady? Did you do other things to help it ie PFTs or golf balls under the feet? I am currently doing both, and icing. I am also wondering if I should be a lot more careful at this point, and not walk much outside on the sidewalk. Really, this is very hard to manage, as it is warm lovely weather and I have to take my one year old out for walks.

Best of luck,

Helen

Ruth M on 5/18/00 at 00:29 (020516)

Helen,
Who is doing your ART treatments? Not all ART practitioners are equal. Patty's ART therapy has been beneficial because Dr. Joe Leahy did it. He and his brother Mike, by the way, developed this procedure. For those of you who are interested in ART do a search and read my posts from about 2 years ago and more recently from 2 or 3 months ago.

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 09:42 (020531)

Hi Helen - I think it took me 3 or 4 ART's to start feeling some relief. The first three were quite painful but it's lessened progressively since. I've had about 9 now, I think and I've gotten to the point where I practically crave them! I think that the ART has been the single most effective thing I've done to date.
I also ice 2 or 3 times a day, apply Ibuprofen cream after that and do some gently stretching by simply pushing my big toe back gently, no hold, about 30 to 40 times. I'm one of the 'lucky' ones who doesn't have small children (I sure miss that, though!) but I can completely understand your frustration and not being able to take the little one on a simple walk! Perhaps you could play in the grass with him instead? Best wishes.

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 09:46 (020532)

Hi Ruth - My ART is with a Chiro here in the San Diego area. He was one recommended by Dr. Leahy's office. However, it's a 30 minute drive for me so I'm going to call around my 'covered' Chiro's in my immediate area to see if any have the training and simply didn't make it to Dr. Leahy's list. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. One of our local schools-of-medicine provides the coursework for ART certification. I take it you had the ART - did you like it?

PattyS on 5/18/00 at 17:51 (020557)

Helen,
I felt relief immediately. It was not 100% after the first session, but at least 50% better. Each session built on that. The first session was painful, though not excrutiating. Got better after that. Dr. Leahy did tell me that if you did not experience relief after the first few treatments that it might not work for you. My insurance does cover chiro, but Dr. leahy was not on the list. I decided to pay for it myself since he had such a good reputation. Patty

Helen on 5/18/00 at 19:51 (020562)

Hi and thanks to those of you who responded to my questions re ART. I may have had some improvement. It's just that whenever I pick up my daugther - and I have to do this every day a few times as she is just over one year old - it flares again. I am wearing some good sandals which are now helping. I will have a real conversation with Dr. Scapaticci next time. He is supposed to be very good - treats famous athletes, etc. But he is only seeing me once a week, and this time he had to cancel a session so there will be a two week gap. In the mean time, I am rolling golf balls under my foot as instructed.

Happy Heeling.

Helen

Ruth M on 5/19/00 at 00:28 (020574)

Hi Chris,
If you go back a couple of years you can read about my foot and ART experience in excruciating detail....but the long and short of it is that I could barely walk before ART and my foot is normal now.

PattyS on 5/19/00 at 15:28 (020608)

Helen,
You really should try to see the chiro 3x a week in the beginning of your treatment. I don't think that 1x a week is enough. patty