Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pills and shots from PODS

Posted by Dakota on 5/16/00 at 16:53 (020455)

I went to the POD today, and because I refused the cortisone shot the DR was rather upset with me. He also gave me Celebrex. I had a cortisone shot in my other foot in 1996 and it didn't help. Why go through that painful shot when it doesn't work. Has anyone else found that cortisone shots didn't work for them? What else can I do besides where higher heels and take the Celebrex? Also it feels as if there are pebbles in my heel and he said it was an inflamed sack. It just doesn't feel the same pain as my left foot in 96. Thank you.

Re: pills and shots from PODSRe

Laurie R on 5/16/00 at 17:07 (020458)

Hello,
First of all it makes me so mad that a doctor would get mad because you don't want a cortisone shot,that is up to you it is your foot not theirs. I did have 2 shots and neither one worked for me but I waited to even try those my Pod never got mad at me for not wanting the shots. I would look for a new doctor one that does not get mad if you don't want to try a treatment.The only shots that helped me were the ones I got to numb my foot it would only last for 12 hours but it did help when my pain was really bad.....My very best to you...Laurie R

Re: pills and shots from PODS

wendyn on 5/16/00 at 17:21 (020460)

I agree with Laurie - get yourself another doctor. I had two doctors (one pod one sports med) insist that I needed a cortisone shot in the Tarsal Tunnel for TTS. Both were not happy when I refused.

I finally got to the top of the food chain (the Orthapedic foot and ankle surgeon) and he did not recommend the shot - or the surgery which is what the other two thought I needed.

Glad I left well enough (or even bad enough) alone long enough to talk to someone who knew for sure. At least (in my case) I didn't risk further damage for a procedure that would not have helped.

BJC on 5/16/00 at 18:22 (020461)

Cortisone shots have been very effective for many, and often that is all some people need. I have had mixed results: it did not work initially, but subsequent shots have given me relief for up to 4 months. It is probably frustrating for the dr. for you to come for treatment, and then not take his advice. I know it can be a hard decision, but with all the pain I had I figured what did I have to lose but the pain? BUT my pod always gives me the choice.

ChrisO on 5/16/00 at 20:00 (020464)

I wonder if you were to tell your Pod to 'go take a flyin' leap...' if he would end up with PF.......
But really, it seems consistent that the one thing NO ONE, not even Docs, knows is what works for PF across the board. Cortisone has been shown to be possibly damaging in the long run so it's reasonable to want to refuse it. Your Pod might take a lesson from mine.... when I ask mine if I can try a particular thing he's all for it even if adds to the insurance carrier's tab. He offers cortisone and I turn it down if only because it didn't do a thing except hurt last year. Mine at least understands that this is a long process and that it can take trying MANY things before healing begins. Do you have the opportunity to change Docs so that you may have a chance to feel more in partnership with a new one? One thing we've found via this site is that we have to pretty much take charge of our own treatment. If you can have a Doc who's willing to work with you like that, then more's the better.
About those higher heels - I think the rule of thumb is that they're only an inch or so higher (folks, correct me on this) - if it's much higher then you risk 'shortening' or straining the plantar even more. I also had that 'inflamed sac' diagnosis so I would assume that it's part of the condition. What else you can do includes reading this board regularly and following the traditional treatment methods described on Scott's site.

Pauline on 5/16/00 at 21:51 (020470)

I have found that Pods when using cortisone shots do not give the
full amount necessary to help. They like for you to return more
often for extended treatment. The next time you go they give another shot. Because they use so little cortisone they can give more injections, bill them as surgery and collect mega bucks.. The
orthopedic Dr. seems reluctant to give cortisone but when he does
it is a full injection and they do help especially if you have a concentration of pain near the heel. Think about it all of you
who have visited the Pods. First visit goes like this. Minimum
of four xrays, possible injection, foot taping and orthotics put on
order. Next visit orthotics arrive, more taping and maybe another injection. They are all the same. No one ever leaves without 4 xrays and an orthotics order. Why??????

Re: pills and shots from PODSRe Podiatrists

Laurie R on 5/16/00 at 22:48 (020473)

Hi Pauline,
Sorry you feel that way about Podiatrists,but they are all not like that,I have a wonderful Pod ,I had x-rays when I first went to see him from other doctor and he looked at them he never took anymore,I tryed 2 cortisone shots they did nothing for me he did not give me anymore.My Pod has always let me be a part of my treatment and he always takes his time and he always listen,yes I feel very lucky .I think you must of had some of the bad ones....Do you have a good doctor now?? I do know all to well about having bad doctors I have had my fair share....My best to you .PS They are all not like that...Laurie R

Re: Celebrex upset my stomach

Kim B. on 5/17/00 at 08:23 (020478)

It's suppose to be gentle to the stomach, but I have news for the mecical establishment... Celebrex CAN cause stomach upset in some people. Granted, I have a sensitive stomach. Vioxx is the only anti-inflammatory that doesn't upset my stomach. Neither got rid of my heel spur pain, but the Vioxx did ease it a little better than anything else. Good Luck!

Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/17/00 at 20:21 (020513)

Here is my podiatric opinion. We are taught in school to do taping then if the taping works then orthosis. Taping is very good because it supports the pf and reduces motion in the foot( like rest). As far as steriod injections there are two types short and long acting. I use to give long acting ( depo-medrol) but can't get it any more. I really don't know why. A steriod injection is only effective if the area is very painful on examination and in a pin point spot. Most orthopedic doctors don't use a mixture of local anesthesia with the steriod medication. This I don't know why except maybe the extreme pain at the time of injection and then it stops confirms that you got the area. Just a guess. You need at least one cc of steriod for the injection to be helpful. If you are giving a lower dose then you have a doctor problem . As far as the taping orthosis routine you have have point. Heel pain shouldn't be a cook book style of treatment every patient's is different and should be treated as individual not tape , cast and orthosis. I hope I didn't put my foot into my mouth. I

mss on 5/18/00 at 22:21 (020567)

I like my podiatrist and his approach was nothing like you seem to be describing. I always have had to choose what we were going to try next. He did not want to do an injection at first, but later when he suggested it and I expressed concerns, he tried other things, yes, including taping. On one visit, a couple of months later, we discussed the shots at length and I decided I would try it, he then suggested waiting a couple of weeks for me to make sure. I am just saying not all doctors or patients are just alike.

Re: pills and shots from PODSRe

Laurie R on 5/16/00 at 17:07 (020458)

Hello,
First of all it makes me so mad that a doctor would get mad because you don't want a cortisone shot,that is up to you it is your foot not theirs. I did have 2 shots and neither one worked for me but I waited to even try those my Pod never got mad at me for not wanting the shots. I would look for a new doctor one that does not get mad if you don't want to try a treatment.The only shots that helped me were the ones I got to numb my foot it would only last for 12 hours but it did help when my pain was really bad.....My very best to you...Laurie R

wendyn on 5/16/00 at 17:21 (020460)

I agree with Laurie - get yourself another doctor. I had two doctors (one pod one sports med) insist that I needed a cortisone shot in the Tarsal Tunnel for TTS. Both were not happy when I refused.

I finally got to the top of the food chain (the Orthapedic foot and ankle surgeon) and he did not recommend the shot - or the surgery which is what the other two thought I needed.

Glad I left well enough (or even bad enough) alone long enough to talk to someone who knew for sure. At least (in my case) I didn't risk further damage for a procedure that would not have helped.

BJC on 5/16/00 at 18:22 (020461)

Cortisone shots have been very effective for many, and often that is all some people need. I have had mixed results: it did not work initially, but subsequent shots have given me relief for up to 4 months. It is probably frustrating for the dr. for you to come for treatment, and then not take his advice. I know it can be a hard decision, but with all the pain I had I figured what did I have to lose but the pain? BUT my pod always gives me the choice.

ChrisO on 5/16/00 at 20:00 (020464)

I wonder if you were to tell your Pod to 'go take a flyin' leap...' if he would end up with PF.......
But really, it seems consistent that the one thing NO ONE, not even Docs, knows is what works for PF across the board. Cortisone has been shown to be possibly damaging in the long run so it's reasonable to want to refuse it. Your Pod might take a lesson from mine.... when I ask mine if I can try a particular thing he's all for it even if adds to the insurance carrier's tab. He offers cortisone and I turn it down if only because it didn't do a thing except hurt last year. Mine at least understands that this is a long process and that it can take trying MANY things before healing begins. Do you have the opportunity to change Docs so that you may have a chance to feel more in partnership with a new one? One thing we've found via this site is that we have to pretty much take charge of our own treatment. If you can have a Doc who's willing to work with you like that, then more's the better.
About those higher heels - I think the rule of thumb is that they're only an inch or so higher (folks, correct me on this) - if it's much higher then you risk 'shortening' or straining the plantar even more. I also had that 'inflamed sac' diagnosis so I would assume that it's part of the condition. What else you can do includes reading this board regularly and following the traditional treatment methods described on Scott's site.

Pauline on 5/16/00 at 21:51 (020470)

I have found that Pods when using cortisone shots do not give the
full amount necessary to help. They like for you to return more
often for extended treatment. The next time you go they give another shot. Because they use so little cortisone they can give more injections, bill them as surgery and collect mega bucks.. The
orthopedic Dr. seems reluctant to give cortisone but when he does
it is a full injection and they do help especially if you have a concentration of pain near the heel. Think about it all of you
who have visited the Pods. First visit goes like this. Minimum
of four xrays, possible injection, foot taping and orthotics put on
order. Next visit orthotics arrive, more taping and maybe another injection. They are all the same. No one ever leaves without 4 xrays and an orthotics order. Why??????

Laurie R on 5/16/00 at 22:48 (020473)

Hi Pauline,
Sorry you feel that way about Podiatrists,but they are all not like that,I have a wonderful Pod ,I had x-rays when I first went to see him from other doctor and he looked at them he never took anymore,I tryed 2 cortisone shots they did nothing for me he did not give me anymore.My Pod has always let me be a part of my treatment and he always takes his time and he always listen,yes I feel very lucky .I think you must of had some of the bad ones....Do you have a good doctor now?? I do know all to well about having bad doctors I have had my fair share....My best to you .PS They are all not like that...Laurie R

Re: Celebrex upset my stomach

Kim B. on 5/17/00 at 08:23 (020478)

It's suppose to be gentle to the stomach, but I have news for the mecical establishment... Celebrex CAN cause stomach upset in some people. Granted, I have a sensitive stomach. Vioxx is the only anti-inflammatory that doesn't upset my stomach. Neither got rid of my heel spur pain, but the Vioxx did ease it a little better than anything else. Good Luck!

Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/17/00 at 20:21 (020513)

Here is my podiatric opinion. We are taught in school to do taping then if the taping works then orthosis. Taping is very good because it supports the pf and reduces motion in the foot( like rest). As far as steriod injections there are two types short and long acting. I use to give long acting ( depo-medrol) but can't get it any more. I really don't know why. A steriod injection is only effective if the area is very painful on examination and in a pin point spot. Most orthopedic doctors don't use a mixture of local anesthesia with the steriod medication. This I don't know why except maybe the extreme pain at the time of injection and then it stops confirms that you got the area. Just a guess. You need at least one cc of steriod for the injection to be helpful. If you are giving a lower dose then you have a doctor problem . As far as the taping orthosis routine you have have point. Heel pain shouldn't be a cook book style of treatment every patient's is different and should be treated as individual not tape , cast and orthosis. I hope I didn't put my foot into my mouth. I

mss on 5/18/00 at 22:21 (020567)

I like my podiatrist and his approach was nothing like you seem to be describing. I always have had to choose what we were going to try next. He did not want to do an injection at first, but later when he suggested it and I expressed concerns, he tried other things, yes, including taping. On one visit, a couple of months later, we discussed the shots at length and I decided I would try it, he then suggested waiting a couple of weeks for me to make sure. I am just saying not all doctors or patients are just alike.