Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question about a cast

Posted by Lori K. on 5/16/00 at 20:52 (020467)

First of all I'd like to say that I've been reading this message board for about 2 weeks now-it's nice to see (read) people being so supportive of each other! I am fortunate to have a great family, but they JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND! My story is maybe a little different because I had no pain ever in my feet, then tore my plantar fascia in a tennis match in feb.-had no idea that almost 4 months later(and 3 doctors, crutches, removable cast, icing, cortizone shot, etc.)that I would be in a hard cast and still very minimal walking. Sorry, I wasn't planning on going on and on like this-my question is for anyone who has had a hard cast;mine felt great for the first 3 weeks, no pain in my foot at all! Today my whole foot just aches like crazy-not the terrible pain before the cast, just constant aches. Has anyone else had this, maybe it's normal? And any suggestions as how to keep two little boys entertained when you can't take them on long stroller rides and to the park? I know they want the old me back as much as I do!! I've been praying a lot and I will think of you all from now on!

Re: question about a castRe

Laurie R on 5/16/00 at 22:38 (020472)

Hi Lori,
Welcome to the board. I also am in a hard cast have been now for 2.5 weeks and 6 weeks ago I was in a hard cast for 4 weeks anyways I also understand about the kids I have 2 girls that still have a hard time understanding I am in a cast with crutches. I can't do much either.I have to have my husband take me out cause I can't drive with the hard cast.Try to play games with them while you are sitting down.I also tore my fascia the very next day after I got my last cast off.Good luck to you .Also my foot was doing really good pain wise and now it is starting to hurt again.Laurie R

Re: snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...

Kim B. on 5/17/00 at 08:55 (020480)

OK Lori, how old are your boys? We need to know what age range we are dealing with here.

Play some age appropiate board games. Color, and do arts and crafts kinds of things at the table. Let them help you fold the laundry. It will look like hell but they will probably feel good about helping out.

If you can spare the funds, go to the toy store. You will find lots of entertainment answers there. Consider the expense part of what is required for YOUR recovery. Like medicine, but for the kids. Get some things that ya'll can do together and/or as a group. Just a couple of days ago, I saw a ball toss game that comes with flat, round, velcro hand mits and a velcro ball that could probably be tossed in the house and won't send you chasing balls. Probably easy to catch after you get the hang of it.

My son is 4 yrs old and on the days that I slow down enough to take 15 minutes to roll around in the floor gently wrestleling, tickling, cuddleing, smooching and etc. on him, he is much more content for the rest of the day. It's as if he gets his fill of me for a awhile, and he just loves that kind of physical attention. So depending on their ages and personalities, get down the floor and get physical with them for a little while at a time.

Good luck, I know it tough to be a Mom with PF. The pain, the guilt, the pain! The family does suffer with us in many ways.

Regards, Kim B.

Lori K. on 5/17/00 at 10:43 (020484)

Thanks for the answers! My boys are 4 and almost 2-I do roll around with them on the floor a lot, and do lots of art projects. I guess since my injury they're getting more attention than ever, because I used to stay on my feet all day going places & keeping up with the house (and thier messes!) Now I'm just making the messes with them! The difference is before we weren't home much-always outside doing things, which I know they miss. By the way Kim, I have that velcro ball toss, and my 4 yr. old loves it! Laurie, you're using crutches with your cast? My doctor said I didn't need to-I hope I'm not messing it up more by walking on it. And why did you get another cast after having it for 4 weeks? Was it really hard to walk when they removed it? My husband said my leg will probably be smaller when they remove it!

Re: snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...Re Lori

Laurie R on 5/17/00 at 11:43 (020486)

Hi Lori
The reason I am back in a cast is last time when I got the cast off the very next day I tore my fascia which was healed. The pain got so bad I was ready to do surgery on my foot my self (I wouldn't really do it) But it sounded good at the time ,So my Pod said since you are in so much pain lets try a cast again and at that point I agreed because it helped with the pain before.So it has been almost 3 weeks with this cast and he wants me to keep it on for other 2 weeks so 5 weeks all together.

Yes your husband is right your leg will be smaller than your other.I lost all the muscle in my leg it looked so funny and it was very sore.But my Pod and my therapist said it will come back.I knew it would in time but it just looked so funny ,and yes it was hard to walk after the cast came off.Just be very very careful when you get your cast off.How long will you have your cast on for? My best to you .and Please feel free to e-mail me anytime to chat about our wonderful feet.Laurie R (email removed)

Re: snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...Re Laurie

Lori K. on 5/17/00 at 16:49 (020491)

Laurie, how did you tear your foot again?? I tried to e-mail you but my computer was doing wierd things-let me know if you didn't get it, I'd like to talk to you more about the cast-I'm very optimistic about it.

Re: snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...Re Lauriere Lori

Laurie R on 5/17/00 at 23:02 (020514)

Hi Lori,
I didn't get your e-mail....I would like to talk to you also ,try to e-mail me again.Laurie R

Re: question about a castRe

Laurie R on 5/16/00 at 22:38 (020472)

Hi Lori,
Welcome to the board. I also am in a hard cast have been now for 2.5 weeks and 6 weeks ago I was in a hard cast for 4 weeks anyways I also understand about the kids I have 2 girls that still have a hard time understanding I am in a cast with crutches. I can't do much either.I have to have my husband take me out cause I can't drive with the hard cast.Try to play games with them while you are sitting down.I also tore my fascia the very next day after I got my last cast off.Good luck to you .Also my foot was doing really good pain wise and now it is starting to hurt again.Laurie R

Kim B. on 5/17/00 at 08:55 (020480)

OK Lori, how old are your boys? We need to know what age range we are dealing with here.

Play some age appropiate board games. Color, and do arts and crafts kinds of things at the table. Let them help you fold the laundry. It will look like hell but they will probably feel good about helping out.

If you can spare the funds, go to the toy store. You will find lots of entertainment answers there. Consider the expense part of what is required for YOUR recovery. Like medicine, but for the kids. Get some things that ya'll can do together and/or as a group. Just a couple of days ago, I saw a ball toss game that comes with flat, round, velcro hand mits and a velcro ball that could probably be tossed in the house and won't send you chasing balls. Probably easy to catch after you get the hang of it.

My son is 4 yrs old and on the days that I slow down enough to take 15 minutes to roll around in the floor gently wrestleling, tickling, cuddleing, smooching and etc. on him, he is much more content for the rest of the day. It's as if he gets his fill of me for a awhile, and he just loves that kind of physical attention. So depending on their ages and personalities, get down the floor and get physical with them for a little while at a time.

Good luck, I know it tough to be a Mom with PF. The pain, the guilt, the pain! The family does suffer with us in many ways.

Regards, Kim B.

Lori K. on 5/17/00 at 10:43 (020484)

Thanks for the answers! My boys are 4 and almost 2-I do roll around with them on the floor a lot, and do lots of art projects. I guess since my injury they're getting more attention than ever, because I used to stay on my feet all day going places & keeping up with the house (and thier messes!) Now I'm just making the messes with them! The difference is before we weren't home much-always outside doing things, which I know they miss. By the way Kim, I have that velcro ball toss, and my 4 yr. old loves it! Laurie, you're using crutches with your cast? My doctor said I didn't need to-I hope I'm not messing it up more by walking on it. And why did you get another cast after having it for 4 weeks? Was it really hard to walk when they removed it? My husband said my leg will probably be smaller when they remove it!

Re: snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...Re Lori

Laurie R on 5/17/00 at 11:43 (020486)

Hi Lori
The reason I am back in a cast is last time when I got the cast off the very next day I tore my fascia which was healed. The pain got so bad I was ready to do surgery on my foot my self (I wouldn't really do it) But it sounded good at the time ,So my Pod said since you are in so much pain lets try a cast again and at that point I agreed because it helped with the pain before.So it has been almost 3 weeks with this cast and he wants me to keep it on for other 2 weeks so 5 weeks all together.

Yes your husband is right your leg will be smaller than your other.I lost all the muscle in my leg it looked so funny and it was very sore.But my Pod and my therapist said it will come back.I knew it would in time but it just looked so funny ,and yes it was hard to walk after the cast came off.Just be very very careful when you get your cast off.How long will you have your cast on for? My best to you .and Please feel free to e-mail me anytime to chat about our wonderful feet.Laurie R (email removed)

Re: snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...Re Laurie

Lori K. on 5/17/00 at 16:49 (020491)

Laurie, how did you tear your foot again?? I tried to e-mail you but my computer was doing wierd things-let me know if you didn't get it, I'd like to talk to you more about the cast-I'm very optimistic about it.

Re: snakes and snails and puppy dog tails...Re Lauriere Lori

Laurie R on 5/17/00 at 23:02 (020514)

Hi Lori,
I didn't get your e-mail....I would like to talk to you also ,try to e-mail me again.Laurie R