Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What a week!!!

Posted by Pat M on 5/18/00 at 05:58 (020518)

Guess what I got for Mothers Day? My daughter in the hospital. She decided to pick up a baby kitten and the mother zapped her in the eye with her claws. Missed her eyeball, luckily, but caused a large black eye and lots of swelling and redness. Doc said cellulitis. Gave me something else to research. Now that was scary.
Four days of sitting in hospital. I thought that at least one good thing would come of it. Rest for my foot. WRONG. There is a lot for a mom to do for her seven year old in the hospital. We're finally home and this morning I am sore..Hadn't noticed it so much in the hospital, but my mind was occupied. I don't think I am going to wait for the rest of the three weeks I was supposed to before calling my podiatrist. Shot didn't work. period. Maybe he can get me in those night splints that so many of you like. (like could be wrong word, but I know they work for some of you.)
I am rambling. Missed three days of school, now I have to go back with only six left and try to make it through. I just know that the kids have lost control....and all that packing. Yuk! I have spent a lot of time catching up on all the posts. Feels good to be back.
Gosh I feel better. Just needed to let my jumbled thoughts fall out this morning. Thanks everybody. Have a great, painfree day.
Pat M

Re: What a week!!!

alan k on 5/18/00 at 07:15 (020521)

I have only five days left, ha ha

But workload is winding down and this seems to help. The stress factor that many people notice, for instance when going on vacation and feeling better despite being on their feet, is definitely there for me too.

alan k

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 09:52 (020533)

Oh no Pat! What a rotten thing for you and your daughter. It's good that they kept her because I guess cat bites and claws can get to be pretty serious. My little grey tabby is thoroughly trained to beg for and recieve scratches behind the ears - instead of the other way around! I'll bet your daughter is totally in love with the new kittens - what kind are they?
I suspect it's those hospital floors - they must be every bit as unforgiving as an uncarpeted school-room floor! Thank goodness for you, though, the end is near!

Re: What a week!!! -- the stress factor

Nancy S. on 5/18/00 at 10:14 (020536)

Well you've had a rough week, Pat. I've always suspected that emotional stress does a number on physical ailments, and this week I've become a total believer.
We got some terrible news of a family tragedy on my husband's side (suicide of our young niece) this week. It has pretty much blown me out of the water. But I wanted to say, my foot has reacted in a big way to this also. In fact, the pain is driving me nuts it's so bad -- hasn't been this bad since last fall. This is proof to me of the stress factor, and probably shows that keeping smaller stresses down can help the feet in a cumulative way.
Take care everyone. --Nancy

Susan S on 5/18/00 at 10:19 (020537)

Bless your heart, Nancy. I've been where you are and it is a horrible place to be. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Just keep breathing and you will all get through this.

Pat M on 5/18/00 at 10:22 (020538)

I totally agree with all of you about the stress factor. It has always shown up in my back. Now my foot, too.

My daughter does love the kittens, but, now doesn't want anything to do with them. They are just little alley cats, but very cute. But, Ållison want's them out of there. We'll see.

I am so very sorry to hear about your niece, Nancy, that is a terrible thing to go through.

Have a better day everyone. Pat M

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 10:37 (020539)

Oh Nancy what a tragedy for your neice and you. We're thinking of you at our house and wish you peace and strength to get through this.
J

Bob G. on 5/18/00 at 13:45 (020547)

Ohhh, Nancy! I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Re: What a week!!! -- the stress factorRe Nancy

Laurie R on 5/18/00 at 15:23 (020549)

Hi Nancy,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very hard time for you.And yes stress does make the pain level go up.Hang in there we are here for you.My very best to you Nancy.......Your PF Friend Laurie R

Beverly on 5/18/00 at 16:22 (020551)

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I believe in the stress factor too. I know it plays a big role in my life.

Take care,
Beverly

alan k on 5/19/00 at 06:46 (020576)

I'm so sorry to hear that too, Nancy. I hope you and your husband can be a comfort to eachother.

alan

Steve P on 5/19/00 at 09:46 (020586)

Nancy --- As one who has experienced suicide in my immediate family, my heart goes out to you & your husband. You have helped many of us on this message board.....I hope that in some way we can collectively help comfort you. Please take courage.

Nancy S on 5/19/00 at 11:01 (020594)

Thank You, all of you, for your sympathetic words about the loss of my niece. I really didn't expect that, in the midst of our great PF research project here, and you were more comfort than I can express. To those of you who know this anguish firsthand, you have my sympathy in return. There's nothing else like it, is there.
I see all kinds of posts I would normally respond to! I can't focus right now to do that, but you know me, I will soon!
I do want to say again, to anyone who doubts that even small stress releasers can have a positive impact on PF, this major stress is showing me firsthand how connected the mind, emotions, and body are. It's hard for me to think about any physical pain right now, it isn't comparing, but the increase is dramatic and will have me working even harder in the future at helping my PF by keeping even the tiniest emotional stresses down -- dealing with them and aiming to replace them with peace and calm and humor.
Thank you again, all the best to everyone --Nancy

alan k on 5/18/00 at 07:15 (020521)

I have only five days left, ha ha

But workload is winding down and this seems to help. The stress factor that many people notice, for instance when going on vacation and feeling better despite being on their feet, is definitely there for me too.

alan k

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 09:52 (020533)

Oh no Pat! What a rotten thing for you and your daughter. It's good that they kept her because I guess cat bites and claws can get to be pretty serious. My little grey tabby is thoroughly trained to beg for and recieve scratches behind the ears - instead of the other way around! I'll bet your daughter is totally in love with the new kittens - what kind are they?
I suspect it's those hospital floors - they must be every bit as unforgiving as an uncarpeted school-room floor! Thank goodness for you, though, the end is near!

Nancy S. on 5/18/00 at 10:14 (020536)

Well you've had a rough week, Pat. I've always suspected that emotional stress does a number on physical ailments, and this week I've become a total believer.
We got some terrible news of a family tragedy on my husband's side (suicide of our young niece) this week. It has pretty much blown me out of the water. But I wanted to say, my foot has reacted in a big way to this also. In fact, the pain is driving me nuts it's so bad -- hasn't been this bad since last fall. This is proof to me of the stress factor, and probably shows that keeping smaller stresses down can help the feet in a cumulative way.
Take care everyone. --Nancy

Susan S on 5/18/00 at 10:19 (020537)

Bless your heart, Nancy. I've been where you are and it is a horrible place to be. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Just keep breathing and you will all get through this.

Pat M on 5/18/00 at 10:22 (020538)

I totally agree with all of you about the stress factor. It has always shown up in my back. Now my foot, too.

My daughter does love the kittens, but, now doesn't want anything to do with them. They are just little alley cats, but very cute. But, Ållison want's them out of there. We'll see.

I am so very sorry to hear about your niece, Nancy, that is a terrible thing to go through.

Have a better day everyone. Pat M

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 10:37 (020539)

Oh Nancy what a tragedy for your neice and you. We're thinking of you at our house and wish you peace and strength to get through this.
J

Bob G. on 5/18/00 at 13:45 (020547)

Ohhh, Nancy! I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Laurie R on 5/18/00 at 15:23 (020549)

Hi Nancy,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very hard time for you.And yes stress does make the pain level go up.Hang in there we are here for you.My very best to you Nancy.......Your PF Friend Laurie R

Beverly on 5/18/00 at 16:22 (020551)

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I believe in the stress factor too. I know it plays a big role in my life.

Take care,
Beverly

alan k on 5/19/00 at 06:46 (020576)

I'm so sorry to hear that too, Nancy. I hope you and your husband can be a comfort to eachother.

alan

Steve P on 5/19/00 at 09:46 (020586)

Nancy --- As one who has experienced suicide in my immediate family, my heart goes out to you & your husband. You have helped many of us on this message board.....I hope that in some way we can collectively help comfort you. Please take courage.

Nancy S on 5/19/00 at 11:01 (020594)

Thank You, all of you, for your sympathetic words about the loss of my niece. I really didn't expect that, in the midst of our great PF research project here, and you were more comfort than I can express. To those of you who know this anguish firsthand, you have my sympathy in return. There's nothing else like it, is there.
I see all kinds of posts I would normally respond to! I can't focus right now to do that, but you know me, I will soon!
I do want to say again, to anyone who doubts that even small stress releasers can have a positive impact on PF, this major stress is showing me firsthand how connected the mind, emotions, and body are. It's hard for me to think about any physical pain right now, it isn't comparing, but the increase is dramatic and will have me working even harder in the future at helping my PF by keeping even the tiniest emotional stresses down -- dealing with them and aiming to replace them with peace and calm and humor.
Thank you again, all the best to everyone --Nancy