Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

turning the corner

Posted by Hank C. on 5/18/00 at 16:42 (020552)

I've been an infrequent poster but a regular follower of this board for quite some time.
I wanted to share some recent success with plantar fasciitis as I know how extremely discouraging
it can be. I contracted PF in Sept. of 98'. I still have it but last Saturday was able to compete in a
triathlon. I've been able to run now for about 2 and half months. My race results were pretty ugly;
however, I completed the race and am thrilled to be able to run again period. I have another
race scheduled July 17. I remember the days when it hurt to even walk (or hurt even when sitting
down) and I did not think I would ever be able to run again. I battled depression during this time and
really struggled with losing the activities I enjoyed. I still have to be very careful - if I run too
often I suffer discomfort. I hope to offer a little encouragment.
best, Hank

Re: turning the corner

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 17:00 (020555)

Hank, your encouragement is very gratefully accepted! To what do you attribute your success with the PF battle? I am green with envy regarding your participation in that triathlon no matter your time results! I did one in Hawaii (No, not THAT one....) a number of years ago but would be so happy to just jog 2 miles at this point!
Good for you.

Lori K. on 5/18/00 at 22:38 (020568)

Thanks for the positive story! I played competitive tennis and socially with close friends-miss it so much I don't know what to do! What do you think, besides time, helped you the most?

HankC on 5/19/00 at 12:14 (020599)

Chris and Lori,
I wish I could point to a magic cure - I can't. I'm still not a hundred percent over pf. However, I did the
triathlon Saturday, waterskiied a little Sunday, biked and ran 40 minutes Monday, 3 sets of doubles tennis
Tuesday followed by a short run, rest Wednesday, 5.5 mile run Thursday plus a softball game, and swam today.
The last 2 years I could not participate in these activities at least not without consequences. I tried a ot different
approaches to getting rid of pf - some were effective and some were not. Cortisone was a quick fix but pf came
back with a vengeance - I don't recommend the shot. Acupuncture didn't work either. Anti-inflammatories (e.g.
lodine) helped but not too much. The main things that helped me were rest and patience. I got a good pair
of custom orthotics and I also wore a walking cast for a few months. The walking cast did help although it was
a bit of a pain. I also wore a night splint on a regular basis. I started swimming a lot to keep my spirits up. I'm
not a particularly good swimmer and would mix different strokes/drills into my workout to avoid shoulder problems.
I do a flutter kick drill on my side (no kickboard) which I think has helped my pf get better. The flutter kick promotes
anke flexibility and I believe is a gentle way to exercise the foot. Vitamin C and E didn't apeear to have any obvious
effects. I also did the icing/stretching routine.
I've been fortunate enough to have a close friend who I admire a great deal. She was once a homeless person,
living in various shelters and on the streets. She was once kicked out of a public library for falling asleep - she
had gone into the library because she was freezing. Now, however, she is in her second year of medical school
and has been making excellent grades. She starts her clinical rotations this summer. The adversities she has had to overcome made my struggles with pf pail in comparison. I've never had to go hungry and I've always had a roof over my head. I've offered to trade feet with her since she's better at overcoming obstacles than me but she won't do it! Anyway, it helped me sometimes when I got down to think of what she had to deal with.
best, Hank

Cheryl/Boston on 5/20/00 at 12:58 (020647)

Thank you Hank for the encouraging news...My Dr. keeps telling me to be patient..I was very active also..it has only been one year for me and I feel at my wits end most of the time but I also think how hard it is with other people and that brings me back up again....i assume you never had surgery?????

HankC on 5/22/00 at 14:01 (020689)

Cheryl,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've never had the surgery. I still have to watch out with the activities - last
week I over did it and sure enough had a flare up. I'm backing down from the running this week as I don't want
a big relapse. I failed to mention something else that has helped me. I have the good fortune of having a
desk job (at least good fortune as far as pf is concerned). While sitting at the desk I spend a lot of time rolling
a golf ball under my foot. I really think this has helped me. Hang in there with this aggavating problem! As
hard as triathlon training is recovering from a longterm injury is much harder.
Hank

ChrisO on 5/18/00 at 17:00 (020555)

Hank, your encouragement is very gratefully accepted! To what do you attribute your success with the PF battle? I am green with envy regarding your participation in that triathlon no matter your time results! I did one in Hawaii (No, not THAT one....) a number of years ago but would be so happy to just jog 2 miles at this point!
Good for you.

Lori K. on 5/18/00 at 22:38 (020568)

Thanks for the positive story! I played competitive tennis and socially with close friends-miss it so much I don't know what to do! What do you think, besides time, helped you the most?

HankC on 5/19/00 at 12:14 (020599)

Chris and Lori,
I wish I could point to a magic cure - I can't. I'm still not a hundred percent over pf. However, I did the
triathlon Saturday, waterskiied a little Sunday, biked and ran 40 minutes Monday, 3 sets of doubles tennis
Tuesday followed by a short run, rest Wednesday, 5.5 mile run Thursday plus a softball game, and swam today.
The last 2 years I could not participate in these activities at least not without consequences. I tried a ot different
approaches to getting rid of pf - some were effective and some were not. Cortisone was a quick fix but pf came
back with a vengeance - I don't recommend the shot. Acupuncture didn't work either. Anti-inflammatories (e.g.
lodine) helped but not too much. The main things that helped me were rest and patience. I got a good pair
of custom orthotics and I also wore a walking cast for a few months. The walking cast did help although it was
a bit of a pain. I also wore a night splint on a regular basis. I started swimming a lot to keep my spirits up. I'm
not a particularly good swimmer and would mix different strokes/drills into my workout to avoid shoulder problems.
I do a flutter kick drill on my side (no kickboard) which I think has helped my pf get better. The flutter kick promotes
anke flexibility and I believe is a gentle way to exercise the foot. Vitamin C and E didn't apeear to have any obvious
effects. I also did the icing/stretching routine.
I've been fortunate enough to have a close friend who I admire a great deal. She was once a homeless person,
living in various shelters and on the streets. She was once kicked out of a public library for falling asleep - she
had gone into the library because she was freezing. Now, however, she is in her second year of medical school
and has been making excellent grades. She starts her clinical rotations this summer. The adversities she has had to overcome made my struggles with pf pail in comparison. I've never had to go hungry and I've always had a roof over my head. I've offered to trade feet with her since she's better at overcoming obstacles than me but she won't do it! Anyway, it helped me sometimes when I got down to think of what she had to deal with.
best, Hank

Cheryl/Boston on 5/20/00 at 12:58 (020647)

Thank you Hank for the encouraging news...My Dr. keeps telling me to be patient..I was very active also..it has only been one year for me and I feel at my wits end most of the time but I also think how hard it is with other people and that brings me back up again....i assume you never had surgery?????

HankC on 5/22/00 at 14:01 (020689)

Cheryl,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've never had the surgery. I still have to watch out with the activities - last
week I over did it and sure enough had a flare up. I'm backing down from the running this week as I don't want
a big relapse. I failed to mention something else that has helped me. I have the good fortune of having a
desk job (at least good fortune as far as pf is concerned). While sitting at the desk I spend a lot of time rolling
a golf ball under my foot. I really think this has helped me. Hang in there with this aggavating problem! As
hard as triathlon training is recovering from a longterm injury is much harder.
Hank