Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

first visit to a Podiatrist

Posted by Sinead on 5/18/00 at 20:08 (020564)

I'm glad you all are out there... I had my first visit today to a Podiatrist, it was SO dissapointing.. he was quite creepy, from the broken x-ray machine, (which he attended to quite thoroughly), to his preposterous toupee, I had far more info before I left home, from this website. It's more and more clear that this is MY problem and I need to figure it out. He prescribed Feldane, an anti-inflammatory, then another visit to him to discuss stretching,orthotics, which he'll sell to me also.. I want to work WITH this, WITH my body,I don't want to jump into drugs and discuss Cortisone injections, and he's more interested in my insurance company and it's limitations. My questions, about how to stretch, when to stretch, the shape of orthotics I want,were not considered,he'll get to that in future visits.. I'll never go back to him, the whole experience was so yucky... I'll try to check in here more often and listen to your voices of experience, thanks for listening.

Re: first visit to a Podiatrist

cindyp on 5/18/00 at 20:23 (020565)

Get thee to a better doctor be he a podiatrist or orthopedist

Re: first visit to a Podiatrist / Reply

Elise M. on 5/19/00 at 10:23 (020591)

Dear Sinead,
After doing everything I learned from this website over almost a year, I'd come a long way but something was still giving me minimal pain. I made an appointment to see a Podiatrist for the first time a month ago. I've been a nurse for 29 years now so I'm used to dealing with Doctors, both good and bad ones. I didn't tell him I was a nurse and just wanted to observe him for a while before committing my feet to him. He walked in and said ' Well, the first thing we're gonna do is inject Cortisone into your feet' to which I replied ' No, the first thing we're gonna do is sit down and talk about my feet '. He was completely shocked...I told him everything I knew from my experience and the info/experience gained in heelspurs.com. I wasn't just some ignorant moron willing to trust someone I didn't even know with a situation I'd almost remedied myself. Needless to say, I left with a pair of Orthotics that he said would help and they did. I no longer have any pain except at the end of the day if I've overdone it. I went back for a recheck and got a second pair of orthotics from him so I didn't have to move only one pair from shoe to shoe. I am back walking everyday and I even ran with my dog the other day. Don't be afraid to speak up, stay here and learn all you can. Try everything and anything to help yourself. Feel better.....................Elise

Mary J. on 5/20/00 at 06:23 (020637)

Elise, So glad you are about cured. You've helped many of us on the board with your previous postings. Stay in touch! Mary J.

sinead on 5/20/00 at 06:57 (020639)

Thankyou Elise for your wise counsel, sorry to sound so unpleasant in my complaint, I had imagined a much happier outcome to this long awaited visit. I am going to try the feldane for the week,(I'm going away to Montreal for a few days and expect to be walking alot) and I will get an insert/orthotic from my shoe store guy who seems to be very knoweldgable about PF. Again, I am so grateful to have this website!

Re: first visit to a Podiatrist

cindyp on 5/18/00 at 20:23 (020565)

Get thee to a better doctor be he a podiatrist or orthopedist

Elise M. on 5/19/00 at 10:23 (020591)

Dear Sinead,
After doing everything I learned from this website over almost a year, I'd come a long way but something was still giving me minimal pain. I made an appointment to see a Podiatrist for the first time a month ago. I've been a nurse for 29 years now so I'm used to dealing with Doctors, both good and bad ones. I didn't tell him I was a nurse and just wanted to observe him for a while before committing my feet to him. He walked in and said ' Well, the first thing we're gonna do is inject Cortisone into your feet' to which I replied ' No, the first thing we're gonna do is sit down and talk about my feet '. He was completely shocked...I told him everything I knew from my experience and the info/experience gained in heelspurs.com. I wasn't just some ignorant moron willing to trust someone I didn't even know with a situation I'd almost remedied myself. Needless to say, I left with a pair of Orthotics that he said would help and they did. I no longer have any pain except at the end of the day if I've overdone it. I went back for a recheck and got a second pair of orthotics from him so I didn't have to move only one pair from shoe to shoe. I am back walking everyday and I even ran with my dog the other day. Don't be afraid to speak up, stay here and learn all you can. Try everything and anything to help yourself. Feel better.....................Elise

Mary J. on 5/20/00 at 06:23 (020637)

Elise, So glad you are about cured. You've helped many of us on the board with your previous postings. Stay in touch! Mary J.

sinead on 5/20/00 at 06:57 (020639)

Thankyou Elise for your wise counsel, sorry to sound so unpleasant in my complaint, I had imagined a much happier outcome to this long awaited visit. I am going to try the feldane for the week,(I'm going away to Montreal for a few days and expect to be walking alot) and I will get an insert/orthotic from my shoe store guy who seems to be very knoweldgable about PF. Again, I am so grateful to have this website!