Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I see no cure in site

Posted by Robert L. on 5/19/00 at 08:24 (020581)

from all the posts in here I see nobody has gotten completely well after experiencing PF...I have it now for 8 months, and am totally frustrated by this injury. From what I read here this is no cure and Doctors are the least helpful. I dont want to go out and buy every rememdy on the shelf..since we all would try anything to get rid of this. Hasnt anybody figured this out yet, I have had tendenititis in my elbow and have rested and iced it..why cant PF be the same?>>

Re: I see no cure in site

wendyn on 5/19/00 at 08:53 (020585)

Hi Robert. You will not find many people who have fully recovered from PF here. Those people (and there are many of them) are out running and jogging and walking - and not surfing the net looking for a cure to what ails them. So, just because there's a lot of long term cases here - this certainly isn't a accurate reflection of all cases - just the bad ones.

Pf is not the same as tendonitis for many reasons. One being, it's a lot easier to rest one elbow than it is to rest both feet. Also, the circulation to your feet is much lower- and thus it's the slowest healing part of your body.

I know you're frustrated and you don't want to try multiple treatments - but there is no magic pill for this. In order to beat this you may have to try many things (like rest, ice, anti-inflammitories, taping, night splints, etc). If you haven't had a diagnosis by a doctor - you really need to see a good one to make sure your problem isn't actually something else (there are a lot of more significant conditions that can mirror early symptoms of PF).

Hang in, and try to get aggresive about getting better - it'll give you somewhere to channel that frustration until you can get back to life.

All the best

Wendyn

Beverly on 5/19/00 at 10:18 (020589)

Robert,

I am at the two month point, and I have been an avid follower of this Board. In this short time, I have seen several people post their success stories. Some of them were long-term suffers. Most people who get well probably don't take the time to report back; so this is just the small percentage who do share. Each time I read about someone who had PF even worse than me and is either healed or almost healed, it gives me hope. (So you folks, please keep reporting back to us.)

I wish you the best. I'm so new at this, I have little to offer except that for me staying off my foot is an intregral part of treatment. If you have a sitdown job, this is not so difficult. For people with jobs that call for a great deal of standing and walking, it is very difficult to get proper rest. But we can all giveup trips to the Mall (or ride the electric cart) and sports events that are reinjuring our feet. I love the treadmill & track, but it has been two months since I did that. In fact, that is how I hurt myself... working out on the track in the wrong shoes. But there are other types of exercise like biking and swimming.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Steve P on 5/19/00 at 15:00 (020606)

Robert -- Please keep in mind that about 90% of all PF cases are successfully resolved by means of conservative, non-surgical treatments. There have been many articles published by doctors & other professionals that verify this.
I have 2 questions for you:
1. Have you been diagnosed with PF by a doctor?
2. Assuming 'yes' to the above, are you pursuing an active treatment program under a doctor's direction? If yes, then you may still have a reasonable chance of being in the 90%. If not.......please, get started! You owe it to yourself!

Robin B. on 5/19/00 at 17:35 (020613)

I've had PF for more than 2 years now. My first year, maybe year and a half, was the pits. 24-hour a day pain, every day, rendering my life next to worthless. Today, I'm not 100% recovered -- but I do enjoy a relatively normal life. I don't plan my life around my feet anymore. I walk, go shopping, go to outdoor fairs, stand on my feet all I want -- and by and large, things are okay.

It takes great patience and great dedication. There isn't a magic pill and there isn't a magic shot and there isn't a magic cure -- not for the hard core cases that appear on this board. But -- there IS the hope and help of self-education, and you will find plenty of that both here and in Scott's book.

The best I can suggest is -- read read read read, everything you can find. Learn about the condition and begin to try combinations of remedies that you think will work for you. Generally, our bodies tell us which way to treat them so listen to your body and your spirit, and you will know what remedies to start out trying. The other piece of advice I chronically give is -- make sure you give each remedy a decent fighting chance. One week is not enough. Frequently one month is not enough. I stayed on glucosamine sulfate for 7 months before abandoning it for bromelain. I stayed on a low carb diet for nearly as long without feeling any results -- but now (after many more months), a low carb diet definitely has an influence on how my feet feel. It takes time and that's the hardest part, except for the pain of course. But there are definitely some of us still reading this board from time to time who represent both hard core case AND recovery cases. I'm not 100% recovered -- but believe me, the 80% or 90% recovered that I am feels like 150% to me. You can do it too.

Bob G. on 5/19/00 at 22:53 (020630)

Robert, welcome to the Board. I am a little miffed at your post. I have posted often about my recovery. Can you respond?

wendyn on 5/19/00 at 08:53 (020585)

Hi Robert. You will not find many people who have fully recovered from PF here. Those people (and there are many of them) are out running and jogging and walking - and not surfing the net looking for a cure to what ails them. So, just because there's a lot of long term cases here - this certainly isn't a accurate reflection of all cases - just the bad ones.

Pf is not the same as tendonitis for many reasons. One being, it's a lot easier to rest one elbow than it is to rest both feet. Also, the circulation to your feet is much lower- and thus it's the slowest healing part of your body.

I know you're frustrated and you don't want to try multiple treatments - but there is no magic pill for this. In order to beat this you may have to try many things (like rest, ice, anti-inflammitories, taping, night splints, etc). If you haven't had a diagnosis by a doctor - you really need to see a good one to make sure your problem isn't actually something else (there are a lot of more significant conditions that can mirror early symptoms of PF).

Hang in, and try to get aggresive about getting better - it'll give you somewhere to channel that frustration until you can get back to life.

All the best

Wendyn

Beverly on 5/19/00 at 10:18 (020589)

Robert,

I am at the two month point, and I have been an avid follower of this Board. In this short time, I have seen several people post their success stories. Some of them were long-term suffers. Most people who get well probably don't take the time to report back; so this is just the small percentage who do share. Each time I read about someone who had PF even worse than me and is either healed or almost healed, it gives me hope. (So you folks, please keep reporting back to us.)

I wish you the best. I'm so new at this, I have little to offer except that for me staying off my foot is an intregral part of treatment. If you have a sitdown job, this is not so difficult. For people with jobs that call for a great deal of standing and walking, it is very difficult to get proper rest. But we can all giveup trips to the Mall (or ride the electric cart) and sports events that are reinjuring our feet. I love the treadmill & track, but it has been two months since I did that. In fact, that is how I hurt myself... working out on the track in the wrong shoes. But there are other types of exercise like biking and swimming.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Steve P on 5/19/00 at 15:00 (020606)

Robert -- Please keep in mind that about 90% of all PF cases are successfully resolved by means of conservative, non-surgical treatments. There have been many articles published by doctors & other professionals that verify this.
I have 2 questions for you:
1. Have you been diagnosed with PF by a doctor?
2. Assuming 'yes' to the above, are you pursuing an active treatment program under a doctor's direction? If yes, then you may still have a reasonable chance of being in the 90%. If not.......please, get started! You owe it to yourself!

Robin B. on 5/19/00 at 17:35 (020613)

I've had PF for more than 2 years now. My first year, maybe year and a half, was the pits. 24-hour a day pain, every day, rendering my life next to worthless. Today, I'm not 100% recovered -- but I do enjoy a relatively normal life. I don't plan my life around my feet anymore. I walk, go shopping, go to outdoor fairs, stand on my feet all I want -- and by and large, things are okay.

It takes great patience and great dedication. There isn't a magic pill and there isn't a magic shot and there isn't a magic cure -- not for the hard core cases that appear on this board. But -- there IS the hope and help of self-education, and you will find plenty of that both here and in Scott's book.

The best I can suggest is -- read read read read, everything you can find. Learn about the condition and begin to try combinations of remedies that you think will work for you. Generally, our bodies tell us which way to treat them so listen to your body and your spirit, and you will know what remedies to start out trying. The other piece of advice I chronically give is -- make sure you give each remedy a decent fighting chance. One week is not enough. Frequently one month is not enough. I stayed on glucosamine sulfate for 7 months before abandoning it for bromelain. I stayed on a low carb diet for nearly as long without feeling any results -- but now (after many more months), a low carb diet definitely has an influence on how my feet feel. It takes time and that's the hardest part, except for the pain of course. But there are definitely some of us still reading this board from time to time who represent both hard core case AND recovery cases. I'm not 100% recovered -- but believe me, the 80% or 90% recovered that I am feels like 150% to me. You can do it too.

Bob G. on 5/19/00 at 22:53 (020630)

Robert, welcome to the Board. I am a little miffed at your post. I have posted often about my recovery. Can you respond?