Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone know about pilates?

Posted by Suzie on 5/19/00 at 08:42 (020583)

Has anyone tried this machine? I saw it on QVC the other day. It looke very low impact? I searched a few places on the net and have found two different types. The premier and performer, does anyone know the difference or had any experiance with one of them? Suzie

Re: Anyone know about pilates?

Beverly on 5/19/00 at 10:21 (020590)

I am very interested in this myself. I have seen several books at Barnes and Noble that show Pilates exercises done without the machine.
That would save alot of money... could try it out before buying the machine.

Since my pod has been so rabid about not stretching, I have not tried Pilates, but if you see my other post, I am thinking of changing doctors and treatment. Like you, I am very curious about Pilates.

Beverly

PattyS on 5/19/00 at 15:21 (020607)

Search the message board here for pilates, and I think you will find some posts. I, too, saw it on QVC and was tempted to order. They do have a 30 day return policy, so you could try it for a month. I think you would have to pay the shipping though which is probably pretty steep. patty

sinead on 5/20/00 at 06:50 (020638)

I saw a comparitive testing of different machines on a news show recently, the Pilates machine scored very low..It seems that if you have the strength and knoweldge to do the excersises, you don't need the machine. Find a good instructor/class, it's wonderful excersise.

Re: my experience with Pilates

alan k on 5/20/00 at 07:08 (020641)

I am extremely enthusiastic about my Pilates machine. I would like to have seen the rating of different machines that Sinead saw, and I have no doubt that there may be better machines. About whether the pilates workout could just as easily be done without the machine, the answer is definitely yes.

But...

Before pf, I happened to have been very knowledgeable about exercise and very, very active in a vigorous yoga workout called Astanga Yoga. When pf took that away from me, I could hardly lift a finger, or even do the yoga that has low impact. I have got better, but still I am quite the sloucher still and haven't quite recuperated my spirit. But then, the Pilates machine sits there and I just go lay down on it and before I know it I am working out. This is for the lazy: an exercise routine in which the first (and always the hardest) motivational step is to go lay down.

The Pilates workout is a great way to keep up your health and spirits without impact on the feet. However, it is very expensive.

The 'premier' may still be available at Egghead.com somewhere on the site (not in fitness for some reason). The premier is the performer exactly except it has wood trim and looks nice, while the performer is particularly ugly (these have to sit in your living room). The egghead premiers are 'refurbished' returns and were cheaper than the performer new. My refurbished premier was absolutely like new and has had no problems. The shipping was free, also.

If you feel that you have the money and that you would use an exercise machine if you bought one (the latter consideration is the big one), I doubt very much you would return the pilates after 30 days.

I recommend it for those who are losing out to inactivity since pf. Note that some people on the board find it also is therapeutic for pf itself (the foot exercises). However, one should not spend that kind of money for the foot exercises alone, as more complete foot exercises can be done without the machine.

alan k

Re: Alan, how import. is the machine?

Beverly on 5/20/00 at 10:41 (020645)

Alan,

I too am intrigued by Pilates. Is the machine really that important?
I have seen several books teaching the moves without the machine.
And I noticed someone else posted on nonmachine Pilates.

Beverly

alan k on 5/20/00 at 11:33 (020646)

The machine is a convenience that makes it very easy to emphasize various muscle groups, and I find it easier to lay down on it than get into a self-generated workout without any apparatus. For a motivated person an exercise book, as someone posted above, is just as good.

alan k

Re: Alan, Have you seen any pilates workout videos?

Kim B. on 5/20/00 at 19:57 (020655)

I do yoga with a yoga video, and for me this is the easiest way to get proper instruction. I wonder if anyone has made a professional pilates video for home use.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 5/21/00 at 07:19 (020661)

The pilates company makes videos: three for the performer/premier, and at least one for floor exercises. Do a search on the web for pilates as there are several sites that sell the videos, but I can't remember them. The videos are about $30-35.

I agree that videos are great because they tell you what to do and by following along you don't have to discipline yourself so much. Actually, videos are just as good as a machine that way in their ability to get you going. Plus, the rythm of the exercises in the video, if properly made and with a properly informed instructor, should also be the right sequence and durations for the various exercises to promote the right muscle tone and balance.

alan k

Beverly on 5/19/00 at 10:21 (020590)

I am very interested in this myself. I have seen several books at Barnes and Noble that show Pilates exercises done without the machine.
That would save alot of money... could try it out before buying the machine.

Since my pod has been so rabid about not stretching, I have not tried Pilates, but if you see my other post, I am thinking of changing doctors and treatment. Like you, I am very curious about Pilates.

Beverly

PattyS on 5/19/00 at 15:21 (020607)

Search the message board here for pilates, and I think you will find some posts. I, too, saw it on QVC and was tempted to order. They do have a 30 day return policy, so you could try it for a month. I think you would have to pay the shipping though which is probably pretty steep. patty

sinead on 5/20/00 at 06:50 (020638)

I saw a comparitive testing of different machines on a news show recently, the Pilates machine scored very low..It seems that if you have the strength and knoweldge to do the excersises, you don't need the machine. Find a good instructor/class, it's wonderful excersise.

Re: my experience with Pilates

alan k on 5/20/00 at 07:08 (020641)

I am extremely enthusiastic about my Pilates machine. I would like to have seen the rating of different machines that Sinead saw, and I have no doubt that there may be better machines. About whether the pilates workout could just as easily be done without the machine, the answer is definitely yes.

But...

Before pf, I happened to have been very knowledgeable about exercise and very, very active in a vigorous yoga workout called Astanga Yoga. When pf took that away from me, I could hardly lift a finger, or even do the yoga that has low impact. I have got better, but still I am quite the sloucher still and haven't quite recuperated my spirit. But then, the Pilates machine sits there and I just go lay down on it and before I know it I am working out. This is for the lazy: an exercise routine in which the first (and always the hardest) motivational step is to go lay down.

The Pilates workout is a great way to keep up your health and spirits without impact on the feet. However, it is very expensive.

The 'premier' may still be available at Egghead.com somewhere on the site (not in fitness for some reason). The premier is the performer exactly except it has wood trim and looks nice, while the performer is particularly ugly (these have to sit in your living room). The egghead premiers are 'refurbished' returns and were cheaper than the performer new. My refurbished premier was absolutely like new and has had no problems. The shipping was free, also.

If you feel that you have the money and that you would use an exercise machine if you bought one (the latter consideration is the big one), I doubt very much you would return the pilates after 30 days.

I recommend it for those who are losing out to inactivity since pf. Note that some people on the board find it also is therapeutic for pf itself (the foot exercises). However, one should not spend that kind of money for the foot exercises alone, as more complete foot exercises can be done without the machine.

alan k

Beverly on 5/20/00 at 10:41 (020645)

Alan,

I too am intrigued by Pilates. Is the machine really that important?
I have seen several books teaching the moves without the machine.
And I noticed someone else posted on nonmachine Pilates.

Beverly

alan k on 5/20/00 at 11:33 (020646)

The machine is a convenience that makes it very easy to emphasize various muscle groups, and I find it easier to lay down on it than get into a self-generated workout without any apparatus. For a motivated person an exercise book, as someone posted above, is just as good.

alan k

Kim B. on 5/20/00 at 19:57 (020655)

I do yoga with a yoga video, and for me this is the easiest way to get proper instruction. I wonder if anyone has made a professional pilates video for home use.

Regards, Kim B.

alan k on 5/21/00 at 07:19 (020661)

The pilates company makes videos: three for the performer/premier, and at least one for floor exercises. Do a search on the web for pilates as there are several sites that sell the videos, but I can't remember them. The videos are about $30-35.

I agree that videos are great because they tell you what to do and by following along you don't have to discipline yourself so much. Actually, videos are just as good as a machine that way in their ability to get you going. Plus, the rythm of the exercises in the video, if properly made and with a properly informed instructor, should also be the right sequence and durations for the various exercises to promote the right muscle tone and balance.

alan k