Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What does atrophy in the foot mean?

Posted by cindyp on 5/19/00 at 14:47 (020602)

So now on Monday I have to see an orthopedist. When I got the results from the Podiatrist, he said I had atrophy in my lateral side of my foot.The neuroma is on the lateral plantar nerve. Not up between the toes where they usually occur. But down in my heel. What does atrophy mean? Or what could it mean in terms of the foot?

Re: What does atrophy in the foot mean?

Bob G. on 5/19/00 at 14:55 (020604)

Atrophy - A wasting away, or lack of growth, from want of nourishment. (per Webster's)

Pauline on 5/19/00 at 16:15 (020609)

We can probably all tell you what it means, but my advise is not
to worry until you see the next Dr. We don't know your case and
really can't make a correct diagnosis only give you things to worry
about. Take a deep breath and worry when the Dr. tells you to worry. Easy to say , hard to follow but this is really the best
advise I can offer.

wendyn on 5/19/00 at 19:17 (020616)

Hi Cindy. I think this is the same thing that happens when you're in a cast for a while - the muscles shrink in mass and strength from disuse. If you are not using your foot (because you're in pain and limping) I think it may be a cause of atrophy. (Just like when you're in a cast).

Like someone else said (sorry i can't remember who) - try not to worry too much and wait and see what the doctor has to say. Sometimes what you imagine is much worse than the reality.

alan k on 5/20/00 at 07:16 (020642)

Atrophy is easily reversible. Slowly progressive foot exercises will reverse it. So don't worry too much about atrophy so long as you are willing to exercise your feet. Ask your doctor or see a physical therapist for how to fix atrophy. For lateral foot atrophy flex your feet, then try to tilt the outside 'blades' of your feet so that they are angling toward your ears (so to speak). In other words, tilting up and out. Shift your feet back and forth in this position. Also, do ankle rolls.

More strenuous work can be done but you should see a doctor about that since at first you should not overdo it and we can't tell here where you are in terms of atrophy at this point.

alan k

Bob G. on 5/19/00 at 14:55 (020604)

Atrophy - A wasting away, or lack of growth, from want of nourishment. (per Webster's)

Pauline on 5/19/00 at 16:15 (020609)

We can probably all tell you what it means, but my advise is not
to worry until you see the next Dr. We don't know your case and
really can't make a correct diagnosis only give you things to worry
about. Take a deep breath and worry when the Dr. tells you to worry. Easy to say , hard to follow but this is really the best
advise I can offer.

wendyn on 5/19/00 at 19:17 (020616)

Hi Cindy. I think this is the same thing that happens when you're in a cast for a while - the muscles shrink in mass and strength from disuse. If you are not using your foot (because you're in pain and limping) I think it may be a cause of atrophy. (Just like when you're in a cast).

Like someone else said (sorry i can't remember who) - try not to worry too much and wait and see what the doctor has to say. Sometimes what you imagine is much worse than the reality.

alan k on 5/20/00 at 07:16 (020642)

Atrophy is easily reversible. Slowly progressive foot exercises will reverse it. So don't worry too much about atrophy so long as you are willing to exercise your feet. Ask your doctor or see a physical therapist for how to fix atrophy. For lateral foot atrophy flex your feet, then try to tilt the outside 'blades' of your feet so that they are angling toward your ears (so to speak). In other words, tilting up and out. Shift your feet back and forth in this position. Also, do ankle rolls.

More strenuous work can be done but you should see a doctor about that since at first you should not overdo it and we can't tell here where you are in terms of atrophy at this point.

alan k