Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Long-term results after ESWT in plantar fasciitis

Posted by Dr. Jan D. Rompe, MD on 5/23/00 at 09:39 (020722)

From 1993-1995 we performed a prospective randomised trial on 100 patients to compare the effects of two different doses of low-energy extracorporeal shock wave application (ESWA) in the treatment of painful heel. Patients in group I were treated 3 times in week-ly in-tervals, with 1000 impulses of 0.08 mJ/mm˛ given around the heel spur. Group II received only 3 times 10 impulses of the same energy density in weekly intervals. Follow-up examinations were done at 6 weeks and 24 weeks and 59 months (54 to 66 months) after ESWA. The main outcome measures were the severity of pressure pain, ability of painfree walking, and patient satisfaction according to the Roles and Maudsley score. Within half a year pressure pain had dropped in group I from 77 points to 19 points on the Visual Analogue Scale, in group II the ratings were 79 points and 77 points. In group I walking became completely painfree in 45%, compared to 2% in group II. Based on the Roles and Maudsley score 55% had a good/excellent outcome in group I after 6 months, and 10% in group II. At 5 years pressure pain was down to 9 points in group I, and to 29 points in group II. 64% could walk painfree in group I, compared to 48% in group II. Meanwhile 13% had undergone an operation of the heel in group I, compared to 58% in group II. With regard to the Roles and Maudsley score 74% presented with good/excellent outcome in group I, and 68% in group II. We conclude that treatment with 3 times 1000 impulses of low-energy shock waves was an effec-tive therapy of plantar fasciitis and may be helpful to avoid surgery for recalci-trant heel pain.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: other

Re: Long-term results after ESWT in plantar fasciitis

Mrs Sally Doe on 5/26/00 at 15:43 (020922)

My Father suffers extreme pain from this condition & has a heel spur.
Doctors say surgery is dangerous due to potential nerve damage. Is ESWT appropriate & is it available in the UK?

posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

john h on 5/26/00 at 16:55 (020927)

Mrs. Doe: EWST is certainly available in Germany and I would suspect other European countries.

Mrs Sally Doe on 5/26/00 at 15:43 (020922)

My Father suffers extreme pain from this condition & has a heel spur.
Doctors say surgery is dangerous due to potential nerve damage. Is ESWT appropriate & is it available in the UK?

john h on 5/26/00 at 16:55 (020927)

Mrs. Doe: EWST is certainly available in Germany and I would suspect other European countries.