Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My orthotic keeps shifting!

Posted by dannielle d on 5/23/00 at 12:54 (020725)

I just recently got another pair of New Balance shoes to replace the ones I got last year. I've noticed that
my left orthotic has developed an annoying tendency to shift toward the front of my foot as I walk, thereby
necessitating me to stop, undo the shoe, put it back in place and start again. My right one doesn't do this
at all. Any ideas what the problem is? The orthotics never did this in the old pair of shoes and they don't
do it in my second pair of New Balance ones either.

Re: My orthotic keeps shifting!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/23/00 at 16:37 (020732)

Try placing some kind of foot powder in the shoe first. May have too much padding already in the shoe. Do you have full length top covers on the orthosis. First try the foot powder

Mary J. on 5/24/00 at 09:27 (020768)

Danniele, I have a pair of orthotics that slip. I just put a piece of sticky Velcro in the bottom of the shoe, and on the bottom of the orthotic. Works great!

ChrisO on 5/24/00 at 11:00 (020771)

Hi Dannielle - about those slip/sliding orthotics - I had the same problem with my half-length orthotics until I slipped them under the, or a, shoe liner. I thought about trying the velcro but it added too much hieght-imbalance. I also tried double-sided tape which worked pretty well. Best of luck to you!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/23/00 at 16:37 (020732)

Try placing some kind of foot powder in the shoe first. May have too much padding already in the shoe. Do you have full length top covers on the orthosis. First try the foot powder

Mary J. on 5/24/00 at 09:27 (020768)

Danniele, I have a pair of orthotics that slip. I just put a piece of sticky Velcro in the bottom of the shoe, and on the bottom of the orthotic. Works great!

ChrisO on 5/24/00 at 11:00 (020771)

Hi Dannielle - about those slip/sliding orthotics - I had the same problem with my half-length orthotics until I slipped them under the, or a, shoe liner. I thought about trying the velcro but it added too much hieght-imbalance. I also tried double-sided tape which worked pretty well. Best of luck to you!