Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running & Bicycling

Posted by Sid C on 5/24/00 at 11:29 (020776)

Last summer I stopped running when diagnosed with PF and cycled exclusivly thru the fall. Winter I stopped cycling and began a marathon training schedule w/o any pain. Very successful in the long runs before an unrelated injury put me back on the bike. For the past two months, I've increased my cycling mileage and running 2-3X/week, 8-10 miles. PF is back 24/7, in region 6 on the foot chart, both feet. I have to believe there is a corelation between the bike and the running. Anyone with insights to this situation?

Re: Running & Bicycling

ChuckC on 5/24/00 at 13:42 (020780)

Sid, my guess is that you over did it. If you do not wear orthodics, get them. I run but do not bike. My left foot (the one with PF) flares up when I drive a manual transmission auto. It is caused by pushing in on the clutch pedal. The foot stresses while pedaling a bicycle are probably the same.

john h on 5/24/00 at 15:41 (020786)

if you ride a stationary bike try not to pedal with your toes but get your foot into the stirrups far enough that you are not stressing the fascia as much as when peddeling with toes. also keep the tension level you set on the bike down into the 3-4 level and just ride longer. recumbient bike best (my opinion).

ChrisO on 5/24/00 at 19:04 (020803)

Hi Sid - I was reading earlier in Scott's PF book that pedaling a bike can actually exacerbate a PF problem. Something about pushing with the ball of your foot as opposed to the heel. You might want to check that out per the menu above. I know that I have to concentrate when biking in order to avoid using the ball or the arch of my sore foot.

Re: Running & Bicycling/recumbant

ChrisO on 5/24/00 at 19:17 (020805)

Hi John - About that recumbant bike - that's what I use but I still struggle with it because the 'pedals' have a toe-out slant to them - that practically forces exclusive use of the ball of the foot for pushing. I've been trying to figure out a way to alter them to more of a 90 degree position but I'm having trouble with that. My latest experiment is to wear my nite splint while biking as that forces the 90 degrees, but it's pretty awkward.

HankC on 5/25/00 at 08:10 (020828)

Sid,
Hmmm, there's a pretty good triathlete in my area whose name is also Sid C., I wonder.... I've had to stop
from running and cycling this week as I've had a recent pf flareup from overdoing it. I did a triathlon 2 weeks ago
and a female cyclist asked me why I had my feet on top of the stirrups and not in them!! Poor technique I know
as you lose the pull portion of the stroke, Only a person with pf would know why I had my feet on top. I didn't
want to push down with the balls of my feet - I actually had my feet centered on the stirrup. Good luck in your
recovery with this &*!@# condition.
best regards, Hank Cantrell

Sid C on 5/25/00 at 09:51 (020837)

Chris, thanks for the insight. From my experince in cycling, to change the pressure point, lower the seat on a conventional bike, or move the seat forward on the recumbant. Small changes in the distance could relieve some of the stress. Too much change will result in a power/efficiency loss. I'll try lowering the seat for a week or two.

Sid C on 5/25/00 at 10:22 (020839)

Hank, I'm just a weekend warrior in the tri-A category in the Atlanta area. But you're right, this @#$&%@$# condition is the pits. Do you use clipless pedals and cycling shoes anytime or straps and runningshoes 100%?

HankC on 5/26/00 at 07:10 (020903)

Sid,
I 'm in Raleigh just north of you. I was using clipless pedals plus cycling shoes for awhile but
finally had to go to straps. My feet have gotten wider over time and I've had difficulty finding
cycling shoes that aren't narrow. No one seems to carry them. Best of luck in your recovery.
Hank

Sid C on 5/26/00 at 08:33 (020909)

Have you tried Carnac shoes? Carnac's are wide and roomy.

Bob G. on 5/26/00 at 16:54 (020926)

Hello Sid,

I have suffered and recovered from PF twice. What did I learn? I learned to take better care of my feet. I learned to wear the proper shoes and not run barefoot. It's a good idea to warm up and gently stretch healthy feet before exercise.

Almost twelve weeks pain-free and still wearing the nightsplint. Last week I did go four days without the nightsplint, was doing a lot of walking and experienced morning pain(!!!). I immediately went back to rest and nightsplint - okay now.

Good luck!

ChuckC on 5/24/00 at 13:42 (020780)

Sid, my guess is that you over did it. If you do not wear orthodics, get them. I run but do not bike. My left foot (the one with PF) flares up when I drive a manual transmission auto. It is caused by pushing in on the clutch pedal. The foot stresses while pedaling a bicycle are probably the same.

john h on 5/24/00 at 15:41 (020786)

if you ride a stationary bike try not to pedal with your toes but get your foot into the stirrups far enough that you are not stressing the fascia as much as when peddeling with toes. also keep the tension level you set on the bike down into the 3-4 level and just ride longer. recumbient bike best (my opinion).

ChrisO on 5/24/00 at 19:04 (020803)

Hi Sid - I was reading earlier in Scott's PF book that pedaling a bike can actually exacerbate a PF problem. Something about pushing with the ball of your foot as opposed to the heel. You might want to check that out per the menu above. I know that I have to concentrate when biking in order to avoid using the ball or the arch of my sore foot.

Re: Running & Bicycling/recumbant

ChrisO on 5/24/00 at 19:17 (020805)

Hi John - About that recumbant bike - that's what I use but I still struggle with it because the 'pedals' have a toe-out slant to them - that practically forces exclusive use of the ball of the foot for pushing. I've been trying to figure out a way to alter them to more of a 90 degree position but I'm having trouble with that. My latest experiment is to wear my nite splint while biking as that forces the 90 degrees, but it's pretty awkward.

HankC on 5/25/00 at 08:10 (020828)

Sid,
Hmmm, there's a pretty good triathlete in my area whose name is also Sid C., I wonder.... I've had to stop
from running and cycling this week as I've had a recent pf flareup from overdoing it. I did a triathlon 2 weeks ago
and a female cyclist asked me why I had my feet on top of the stirrups and not in them!! Poor technique I know
as you lose the pull portion of the stroke, Only a person with pf would know why I had my feet on top. I didn't
want to push down with the balls of my feet - I actually had my feet centered on the stirrup. Good luck in your
recovery with this &*!@# condition.
best regards, Hank Cantrell

Sid C on 5/25/00 at 09:51 (020837)

Chris, thanks for the insight. From my experince in cycling, to change the pressure point, lower the seat on a conventional bike, or move the seat forward on the recumbant. Small changes in the distance could relieve some of the stress. Too much change will result in a power/efficiency loss. I'll try lowering the seat for a week or two.

Sid C on 5/25/00 at 10:22 (020839)

Hank, I'm just a weekend warrior in the tri-A category in the Atlanta area. But you're right, this @#$&%@$# condition is the pits. Do you use clipless pedals and cycling shoes anytime or straps and runningshoes 100%?

HankC on 5/26/00 at 07:10 (020903)

Sid,
I 'm in Raleigh just north of you. I was using clipless pedals plus cycling shoes for awhile but
finally had to go to straps. My feet have gotten wider over time and I've had difficulty finding
cycling shoes that aren't narrow. No one seems to carry them. Best of luck in your recovery.
Hank

Sid C on 5/26/00 at 08:33 (020909)

Have you tried Carnac shoes? Carnac's are wide and roomy.

Bob G. on 5/26/00 at 16:54 (020926)

Hello Sid,

I have suffered and recovered from PF twice. What did I learn? I learned to take better care of my feet. I learned to wear the proper shoes and not run barefoot. It's a good idea to warm up and gently stretch healthy feet before exercise.

Almost twelve weeks pain-free and still wearing the nightsplint. Last week I did go four days without the nightsplint, was doing a lot of walking and experienced morning pain(!!!). I immediately went back to rest and nightsplint - okay now.

Good luck!