Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Self Massage and Toe Jumping

Posted by Sweetfeet on 5/25/00 at 08:09 (020827)

As you know, I have been seeing a chiropractor that studied with Dr. Leahy in Colorado for ART therapy. As I said in my last post, I knew by the end of the day that the pain would come back. Soooo, I sat down and tried very hard to do exactly what the chiropractor did earlier in the day that left me pain-free. Basically, I did deep tissue massage. I actually followed all tendons down from my toe to my heel spur. My toes would actually 'jump' when I got the tendon right. It's kinda cool to watch. I actually had more sympathy for my poor abused feet. Poor things, never got any attention before. The tendons/tissue area was very tight in the beginning, but then I could actually feel it loosen up. I massaged for a long, long time. The outcome NO PAIN! I am now massaging whenever I have the opportunity. I don't know why this works, but I am going to keep doing it. The way I see it now, if this leaves me pain-free, I will keep on doing it. Gee, I wonder why my podiatrist never suggested this to me. The last words out of his mouth mentioned surgery. Little does he know, I am educating myself about this horrid problem.

Re: Self Massage and Toe Jumping

alan k on 5/25/00 at 08:25 (020830)

Is the direction really from toe to heel and not vice versa?
What motions does the ART therapist do: down a straight line, cross-friction (perpendicular to tendon) or circles, etc?

thanks,

another avid massager

ChrisO on 5/25/00 at 11:00 (020847)

Hi again Alan - I've been getting the ART also and I can tell you that the direction of massage, for me, is heel to toe. I'm impressed that sweetfeet can mimic that on her (his?) own because when I try it my hands get pretty sore.

Re: Self Massage and Toe Jumping/oops

ChrisO on 5/25/00 at 11:01 (020848)

oops Alan - I neglected to mention that my Pod's massage motion is straight-line.

Annette on 5/25/00 at 20:22 (020890)

Hi Sweetfeet,
could you tell me what ART is. I noticed it in another post earlier, but since then I have forgotten what I had read about it.. I am
going to see a chiropractor about it tomorrow, so far nothing has really worked and it sounds like you are doing great with this ART, so I am going to give it a try. thanks for the post.
annette

Sweetfeet on 5/26/00 at 07:59 (020906)

Okay, what the chiropractor does is toe to heal straight line on main tendons (the ones closest to the arch). Now, I have taken this a bit further and I do all tendons. It has really left me pain free. I am so thrilled. My hand does get sore, but I was told by 'Mike PFT' guy, to get a T-Bar. So, that will be my next PF purchase. Today, I started my new regime with my Personal Foot Trainer. It's very cool. I will keep you posted on my new stronger feet. Oh, btw, I DO NOT DROP MY HEELS ANYMORE OFF STEPS! It was not helping me like other people have said. It almost seems like I am in a dream with no pain. I can't quite believe it. I am trying all things positive to change this situation and even though I am not sure which one is doing 'it', I am pain free. Thank you God.

Re: Massage worked for me

John C on 5/26/00 at 09:38 (020912)

Hi,

I read your message about massage and just wanted to add my experience to what you have posted. I developed PF 2 years ago from a sudden injury compounded by running. I tried many things during the 16 months it took me to get over it. My definition of getting over Pf is when I was able to go back to running without pain.

Anyhow, after trying many things for 12 months, I read a post here about some success with a chiropractor. At this point, I was down to about 20% of my original pain.I had been at this point for 3-4 months and just couldn't get this last bit of pain to let go. I had given a small try at running. The pain increased almost immediately. I was very discouraged at this point. I was beginning to think that this level of PF would be with me forever.

I made an appointment with a chiro not really thinking she could help. But, what the heck. My insurance would cover most of the cost. What did I have to lose? The first time I went, I was pain free for 3 days! I couldn't believe it. She did a massage and ultrasound. I am convinced that the massage did the trick. I went to this chiropractor for 6 weeks, going 3 times the first 2 weeks, 2 times the next 2 weeks, and finally 1 time the last 2 weeks. What I got was a deep tissue massage followed by either ultrasound or a heat treatment. I'm convinced that the massage did the trick. I learned that I could duplicate the massage myself. Any time I had any pain, I would sit down and massage it until it was gone. All it would take is 5-10 minutes. At the end of this 6 weeks, I was just about 100% pain free.

The massage technique was fairly simple. I used my thumb and both hands. Press down on the hurting spot until it caused some pain and gently massage in a circular motion. I had one really bad spot. It was the classic sspot on the front of the heel. I alsomassaged several other small spots that the chiro had found. I would massage all of them but mostly that big spot on the front of the heel.

Remember, my pain was down to about 20% of the original. It took a good bit of pressure to get down to the pain spot. For many people, the amount of pressure would likely be much less than I needed to use. I can still remember my POD pressing on the 'spot' the first time I went to him. I almost jumped off the table it hurt so much. In the early days, it didn't take very much pressure to cause a lot of pain.

I wish I tried massage much earlier in my PF days. It did a great job of getting rid of that last bit of pain. This enabled me to go back to running without problems. I don't know how well it would have worked in earlier days when the pain level was much higher. How did it work? Did the massage help to break up some scar tissue that was there from my original injury? I dont know. All I know is that it worked for me and I very thankful I gave it a try.

I would recommend anyone give it a try. It's very simple, non-invasive, and cheap.

Good luck.

John

Suzi D on 5/28/00 at 17:22 (021000)

I can't tell any one of you how I feel after reading these messages. I've been suffering since last August with pf and have been going to a pod since January. I went the cortisone route (finally becoming allergic to the shots), inserts, P.T., arch wraps, stretches, ice, a multitude of anti-inflammatories and now I've been 'set-free'. My Pod says he can't do any more, and my MD says surgery is probably next and referred me to another Pod. I don't want surgery and I'm going to try all these wonderful natural remedies first. I'm in the middle of relocating to another state, buying/selling houses, stress with my kids medical problems, husband already in the other state but home on weekends, and a sick cat to boot. Calgon - make my foot better! I am overweight, and not by a measly 20 pounds. I'm going to try to lose a pound (I don't want to set too high a goal) and get in touch with a chiroprator or massage therapist. I'm going to start natural vitamins and mineral supplements and hope I will receive some relief. It will be nice to be able to wear something other than my New Balances. I've never worn sneakers so much in my whole life. What a relief to know I'm not limping alone.

Re: Massage worked for me--to Suzi D

Nancy S. on 5/28/00 at 17:48 (021001)

Hi Suzi -- Welcome aboard the ship of foot pain, and I'm sorry you have it. By my count, you've had PF for 9 months, and I just want to reassure you that when I found this site I'd had it for 8 months and my doctor also was telling me surgery was the only thing left to do. I even had a surgery date scheduled when I first posted here, but was nervous about it -- and several people posted back to me that 8 months was too soon, that surgery should be a last resort. And I'm glad they did! Since finding this board last December (and canceling the surgery), I've found many more approaches here to try and am doing much much better than I was before. Chances are, you can too.
You have an awful lot going on in your life right now, but do you rest your feet whenever possible, even in small ways? Have you tried Birkenstocks? (They gave me the first major improvement I experienced, and they continue to be a life saver.) Many natural approaches have helped people here and are well worth exploring, as you already suspect. Have you read Scott's PF Book? (Click on it at top of page.) You'll learn a huge amount from it, if you haven't already.
Suzi, I like your 'lose a pound' goal. You sound down to earth and humorous to boot. You can beat this thing -- keep trying new approaches, and give them enough time to know whether or not they'll help you. Best of luck to you -- post anytime with specific questions or need for support or just about anything else -- this board is full of helpful people. --Nancy S.

Beverly on 5/29/00 at 15:15 (021038)

Suzi,

I'm glad you've found the board. I'm a novice... just been here about a month, and I've had PF for 2 months. I've gathered many helpful ideas here. I have not tried all of them, but it is helpful just knowing some of my options... far more than I;ve learned from my doctor. I print out alot of the ideas, and I've made a file on PF.
That way, later if I want to try something I can go back to it.

My own system may not be the best, but as I try things I learn here, I do them one at a time for a week or two. That way, I know what helps and what doesn't.

The best thing I can say about this board is the support you'll find.
The emotional support while enduring PF is as valuable as searching for 'the cure.'

As I have gathered info., I sometimes pass it onto my pod, and often he agrees. And I wonder, 'Gee, why didn't he tell me that?' Example: Going barefooted is very bad for PF. I learned that on the board... from Nancy. I asked my pod about this a few days later when I saw him, and he said, 'Yes, barefootedness is very bad. Don't do that.' But I would not have known enough to ask him if I hadn't learned it here.

As I get frustrated with my doctor, I sometimes wonder if it is just that this is such an elusive... hit and miss condition that in this age of managed care there is just not enough time to go over all the high points in the doc's office. So the patient has to be assertive in finding information on his/her own. You'll get lots of ideas here.

Best of Luck... I can't imagine trying to move in the midst of PF. My heart goes out to you.

Beverly

Suzi D on 6/03/00 at 11:03 (021242)

Nancy & Beverly - It's so good to know I'm not alone with this frustrating condition. I'm impressed by the information I've found on these boards and I'm going to start implementing some of it starting today. I was away all week doing preliminary stuff for the move. Hobbling around and getting run over in airports. What fun. Some guy walking behind me in K-Mart told his friend after they zoomed around me he should have just 'run her over'. They moved too
fast for me to trip them. But, I plan on hunting them down when I return. Thanks for your support, and I'll keep visiting here, looking for the magic.

alan k on 5/25/00 at 08:25 (020830)

Is the direction really from toe to heel and not vice versa?
What motions does the ART therapist do: down a straight line, cross-friction (perpendicular to tendon) or circles, etc?

thanks,

another avid massager

ChrisO on 5/25/00 at 11:00 (020847)

Hi again Alan - I've been getting the ART also and I can tell you that the direction of massage, for me, is heel to toe. I'm impressed that sweetfeet can mimic that on her (his?) own because when I try it my hands get pretty sore.

Re: Self Massage and Toe Jumping/oops

ChrisO on 5/25/00 at 11:01 (020848)

oops Alan - I neglected to mention that my Pod's massage motion is straight-line.

Annette on 5/25/00 at 20:22 (020890)

Hi Sweetfeet,
could you tell me what ART is. I noticed it in another post earlier, but since then I have forgotten what I had read about it.. I am
going to see a chiropractor about it tomorrow, so far nothing has really worked and it sounds like you are doing great with this ART, so I am going to give it a try. thanks for the post.
annette

Sweetfeet on 5/26/00 at 07:59 (020906)

Okay, what the chiropractor does is toe to heal straight line on main tendons (the ones closest to the arch). Now, I have taken this a bit further and I do all tendons. It has really left me pain free. I am so thrilled. My hand does get sore, but I was told by 'Mike PFT' guy, to get a T-Bar. So, that will be my next PF purchase. Today, I started my new regime with my Personal Foot Trainer. It's very cool. I will keep you posted on my new stronger feet. Oh, btw, I DO NOT DROP MY HEELS ANYMORE OFF STEPS! It was not helping me like other people have said. It almost seems like I am in a dream with no pain. I can't quite believe it. I am trying all things positive to change this situation and even though I am not sure which one is doing 'it', I am pain free. Thank you God.

John C on 5/26/00 at 09:38 (020912)

Hi,

I read your message about massage and just wanted to add my experience to what you have posted. I developed PF 2 years ago from a sudden injury compounded by running. I tried many things during the 16 months it took me to get over it. My definition of getting over Pf is when I was able to go back to running without pain.

Anyhow, after trying many things for 12 months, I read a post here about some success with a chiropractor. At this point, I was down to about 20% of my original pain.I had been at this point for 3-4 months and just couldn't get this last bit of pain to let go. I had given a small try at running. The pain increased almost immediately. I was very discouraged at this point. I was beginning to think that this level of PF would be with me forever.

I made an appointment with a chiro not really thinking she could help. But, what the heck. My insurance would cover most of the cost. What did I have to lose? The first time I went, I was pain free for 3 days! I couldn't believe it. She did a massage and ultrasound. I am convinced that the massage did the trick. I went to this chiropractor for 6 weeks, going 3 times the first 2 weeks, 2 times the next 2 weeks, and finally 1 time the last 2 weeks. What I got was a deep tissue massage followed by either ultrasound or a heat treatment. I'm convinced that the massage did the trick. I learned that I could duplicate the massage myself. Any time I had any pain, I would sit down and massage it until it was gone. All it would take is 5-10 minutes. At the end of this 6 weeks, I was just about 100% pain free.

The massage technique was fairly simple. I used my thumb and both hands. Press down on the hurting spot until it caused some pain and gently massage in a circular motion. I had one really bad spot. It was the classic sspot on the front of the heel. I alsomassaged several other small spots that the chiro had found. I would massage all of them but mostly that big spot on the front of the heel.

Remember, my pain was down to about 20% of the original. It took a good bit of pressure to get down to the pain spot. For many people, the amount of pressure would likely be much less than I needed to use. I can still remember my POD pressing on the 'spot' the first time I went to him. I almost jumped off the table it hurt so much. In the early days, it didn't take very much pressure to cause a lot of pain.

I wish I tried massage much earlier in my PF days. It did a great job of getting rid of that last bit of pain. This enabled me to go back to running without problems. I don't know how well it would have worked in earlier days when the pain level was much higher. How did it work? Did the massage help to break up some scar tissue that was there from my original injury? I dont know. All I know is that it worked for me and I very thankful I gave it a try.

I would recommend anyone give it a try. It's very simple, non-invasive, and cheap.

Good luck.

John

Suzi D on 5/28/00 at 17:22 (021000)

I can't tell any one of you how I feel after reading these messages. I've been suffering since last August with pf and have been going to a pod since January. I went the cortisone route (finally becoming allergic to the shots), inserts, P.T., arch wraps, stretches, ice, a multitude of anti-inflammatories and now I've been 'set-free'. My Pod says he can't do any more, and my MD says surgery is probably next and referred me to another Pod. I don't want surgery and I'm going to try all these wonderful natural remedies first. I'm in the middle of relocating to another state, buying/selling houses, stress with my kids medical problems, husband already in the other state but home on weekends, and a sick cat to boot. Calgon - make my foot better! I am overweight, and not by a measly 20 pounds. I'm going to try to lose a pound (I don't want to set too high a goal) and get in touch with a chiroprator or massage therapist. I'm going to start natural vitamins and mineral supplements and hope I will receive some relief. It will be nice to be able to wear something other than my New Balances. I've never worn sneakers so much in my whole life. What a relief to know I'm not limping alone.

Nancy S. on 5/28/00 at 17:48 (021001)

Hi Suzi -- Welcome aboard the ship of foot pain, and I'm sorry you have it. By my count, you've had PF for 9 months, and I just want to reassure you that when I found this site I'd had it for 8 months and my doctor also was telling me surgery was the only thing left to do. I even had a surgery date scheduled when I first posted here, but was nervous about it -- and several people posted back to me that 8 months was too soon, that surgery should be a last resort. And I'm glad they did! Since finding this board last December (and canceling the surgery), I've found many more approaches here to try and am doing much much better than I was before. Chances are, you can too.
You have an awful lot going on in your life right now, but do you rest your feet whenever possible, even in small ways? Have you tried Birkenstocks? (They gave me the first major improvement I experienced, and they continue to be a life saver.) Many natural approaches have helped people here and are well worth exploring, as you already suspect. Have you read Scott's PF Book? (Click on it at top of page.) You'll learn a huge amount from it, if you haven't already.
Suzi, I like your 'lose a pound' goal. You sound down to earth and humorous to boot. You can beat this thing -- keep trying new approaches, and give them enough time to know whether or not they'll help you. Best of luck to you -- post anytime with specific questions or need for support or just about anything else -- this board is full of helpful people. --Nancy S.

Beverly on 5/29/00 at 15:15 (021038)

Suzi,

I'm glad you've found the board. I'm a novice... just been here about a month, and I've had PF for 2 months. I've gathered many helpful ideas here. I have not tried all of them, but it is helpful just knowing some of my options... far more than I;ve learned from my doctor. I print out alot of the ideas, and I've made a file on PF.
That way, later if I want to try something I can go back to it.

My own system may not be the best, but as I try things I learn here, I do them one at a time for a week or two. That way, I know what helps and what doesn't.

The best thing I can say about this board is the support you'll find.
The emotional support while enduring PF is as valuable as searching for 'the cure.'

As I have gathered info., I sometimes pass it onto my pod, and often he agrees. And I wonder, 'Gee, why didn't he tell me that?' Example: Going barefooted is very bad for PF. I learned that on the board... from Nancy. I asked my pod about this a few days later when I saw him, and he said, 'Yes, barefootedness is very bad. Don't do that.' But I would not have known enough to ask him if I hadn't learned it here.

As I get frustrated with my doctor, I sometimes wonder if it is just that this is such an elusive... hit and miss condition that in this age of managed care there is just not enough time to go over all the high points in the doc's office. So the patient has to be assertive in finding information on his/her own. You'll get lots of ideas here.

Best of Luck... I can't imagine trying to move in the midst of PF. My heart goes out to you.

Beverly

Suzi D on 6/03/00 at 11:03 (021242)

Nancy & Beverly - It's so good to know I'm not alone with this frustrating condition. I'm impressed by the information I've found on these boards and I'm going to start implementing some of it starting today. I was away all week doing preliminary stuff for the move. Hobbling around and getting run over in airports. What fun. Some guy walking behind me in K-Mart told his friend after they zoomed around me he should have just 'run her over'. They moved too
fast for me to trip them. But, I plan on hunting them down when I return. Thanks for your support, and I'll keep visiting here, looking for the magic.