Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and losing weight

Posted by Barbara on 5/25/00 at 12:20 (020858)

I am now going on 3 months with bilateral PF. Through very conservative treatment (rest, rest, rest, Bromelain 3X a day, ice, light stretching, light Chiropractic treatment 3X a week for a month, and more rest) my feet had improved to 80% normal. I tried one final thing recently...I just lost 10 pounds. As soon as the weight was off, my feet improved even more, even faster. I only have foot ache when I stand too long without moving. Almost no more pain in my heels. The pain in my arches are almost gone. Only slight pain near my toes. I feel human again. I plan on losing another 15 pounds (trying to get back to my pre-marriage weight). I also plan on resting alot more. I'm not going to fool myself into believing this is gone forever.

Re: PF and losing weight

Beverly on 5/25/00 at 17:06 (020875)

Barbara,

That's great. Loosing weight is never easy and especially hard with PF. I'm curious, how much weight do you need to loose to be at your target weight? I'm about 20lbs overweight. I've wondered if weight primarly helps people who are greatly overweight. I'm trying too, but it is slow going. I lost the first five pounds easily, but the next five are not going so fast.

Beverly

Barbara on 5/25/00 at 21:25 (020893)

Before marriage (21 years ago) I weighed about 125 lbs. I'm 5'6'. In the past 5 years I gained about 30 lbs. I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks of dieting and hope to lose another 15-20. Dieting is hard, but I know I have to do it. The 10 lbs. I have lost so far has done more for my PF than all the other remedies put together. I started noticing the effects as soon as 5 lbs. came off.

The first 5 lbs. is always easy (water weight). I'm cutting my portions by 1/2 and using diet shakes once a day. I only drink water and only allow myself 1/2 oatmeal cookie a day as a reward for my self control. I plan on using my stationary bike more.

I had a Chiropractor who told me that he started getting PF as soon as he started putting on weight. As soon as he lost 2 lbs. his feet stopped hurting.

Beverly on 5/25/00 at 22:30 (020896)

Barbara,

You and I sound like we're about the same size. It was graduate school that put the pounds on me. I am 5 feet 5 inches tall. I weight about 160. Just five years ago (before graduate school) I weighted about 128.

Hearing how your weight loss has helped you gives me extra encouragement to work harder at my diet. I've found Weight Watchers to be the most livable diet.

I always thought that weight loss only helped PF cases with people who were real overweight.

I'd be interested to hear from others... especially women who believe loosing weight helped your PF.

Beverly

sherri mc on 5/26/00 at 08:13 (020908)

Hi Barbara and Beverly,
I had a doctor appt this past Monday with the Internal Dr. to see if he could help direct me to somewhere I haven't been and to discuss weight loss. I've gained 45 pounds since getting PF and being on anti-inflammitories.
I was surprised to learn that I now have high blood pressure. 150/100.
The doctor agreed that loosing some weight would help the PF and my blood pressure.He gave me an Rx for Xenical. He believes that I can still take the anti's along with the Xenical. I just filled it yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to use yet. He gave me 2 months to get my blood pressure down or start on med's.
I was 132 at 5'6' before PF. I am 39 now. I am hoping this will help
with several things. I will also see a Pod for otrhotics and another Orthopedic for what, I don't know. Good luck with your weight loss.

Sweetfeet on 5/26/00 at 08:35 (020910)

I too need to drop weight. They say for every pound of weight on your body, it's 7 times the amount on your feet. For instance, 10lbs, is really like 70lbs on the feet. No wonder, the weight effects our feet. Anyhow, I used to run to keep my weight down. I was a perfect size 8. My feet gave way even at that 'good' weight. I am now a 12 and believe me I really feel it. I am working out consistently, but now I will be making better food choices. No more ice cream with my boyfriend.

Barbara on 5/26/00 at 16:32 (020923)

It's really, really hard to commit to a diet. But, I decided it was time to act my age and DO IT. If I get hungrey, I drink a glass of water. I don't have any junk food in the house to tempt me. I only allow myself 1/2 oatmeal cookie a day as a reward to myself. My pet bird eats the other half (she needs to gain weight). If I get a bad hunger attack, I look at a picture of myself when I was thin and that ends the attack.

My feet have really noticed the difference. I plan on winning this PF battle. Hopefully this diet and rest will do it.

Barbara on 5/26/00 at 16:44 (020925)

Sheri: my blood pressure has become elevated also. No that high (125/90) but higher than it was when I was slimmer. Hopefully we both can avoid meds as we lose the weight.

Beverly on 5/25/00 at 17:06 (020875)

Barbara,

That's great. Loosing weight is never easy and especially hard with PF. I'm curious, how much weight do you need to loose to be at your target weight? I'm about 20lbs overweight. I've wondered if weight primarly helps people who are greatly overweight. I'm trying too, but it is slow going. I lost the first five pounds easily, but the next five are not going so fast.

Beverly

Barbara on 5/25/00 at 21:25 (020893)

Before marriage (21 years ago) I weighed about 125 lbs. I'm 5'6'. In the past 5 years I gained about 30 lbs. I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks of dieting and hope to lose another 15-20. Dieting is hard, but I know I have to do it. The 10 lbs. I have lost so far has done more for my PF than all the other remedies put together. I started noticing the effects as soon as 5 lbs. came off.

The first 5 lbs. is always easy (water weight). I'm cutting my portions by 1/2 and using diet shakes once a day. I only drink water and only allow myself 1/2 oatmeal cookie a day as a reward for my self control. I plan on using my stationary bike more.

I had a Chiropractor who told me that he started getting PF as soon as he started putting on weight. As soon as he lost 2 lbs. his feet stopped hurting.

Beverly on 5/25/00 at 22:30 (020896)

Barbara,

You and I sound like we're about the same size. It was graduate school that put the pounds on me. I am 5 feet 5 inches tall. I weight about 160. Just five years ago (before graduate school) I weighted about 128.

Hearing how your weight loss has helped you gives me extra encouragement to work harder at my diet. I've found Weight Watchers to be the most livable diet.

I always thought that weight loss only helped PF cases with people who were real overweight.

I'd be interested to hear from others... especially women who believe loosing weight helped your PF.

Beverly

sherri mc on 5/26/00 at 08:13 (020908)

Hi Barbara and Beverly,
I had a doctor appt this past Monday with the Internal Dr. to see if he could help direct me to somewhere I haven't been and to discuss weight loss. I've gained 45 pounds since getting PF and being on anti-inflammitories.
I was surprised to learn that I now have high blood pressure. 150/100.
The doctor agreed that loosing some weight would help the PF and my blood pressure.He gave me an Rx for Xenical. He believes that I can still take the anti's along with the Xenical. I just filled it yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to use yet. He gave me 2 months to get my blood pressure down or start on med's.
I was 132 at 5'6' before PF. I am 39 now. I am hoping this will help
with several things. I will also see a Pod for otrhotics and another Orthopedic for what, I don't know. Good luck with your weight loss.

Sweetfeet on 5/26/00 at 08:35 (020910)

I too need to drop weight. They say for every pound of weight on your body, it's 7 times the amount on your feet. For instance, 10lbs, is really like 70lbs on the feet. No wonder, the weight effects our feet. Anyhow, I used to run to keep my weight down. I was a perfect size 8. My feet gave way even at that 'good' weight. I am now a 12 and believe me I really feel it. I am working out consistently, but now I will be making better food choices. No more ice cream with my boyfriend.

Barbara on 5/26/00 at 16:32 (020923)

It's really, really hard to commit to a diet. But, I decided it was time to act my age and DO IT. If I get hungrey, I drink a glass of water. I don't have any junk food in the house to tempt me. I only allow myself 1/2 oatmeal cookie a day as a reward to myself. My pet bird eats the other half (she needs to gain weight). If I get a bad hunger attack, I look at a picture of myself when I was thin and that ends the attack.

My feet have really noticed the difference. I plan on winning this PF battle. Hopefully this diet and rest will do it.

Barbara on 5/26/00 at 16:44 (020925)

Sheri: my blood pressure has become elevated also. No that high (125/90) but higher than it was when I was slimmer. Hopefully we both can avoid meds as we lose the weight.