Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe, shoes, ouch, ouch

Posted by Kim B. on 5/26/00 at 22:13 (020931)

Hello feet friends,

As some of you may know, my feet have been getting better lately after a little more than a year of dealing with this dreadful illness.

I've been shoe shopping a lot lately. I've tried on dozens of pairs and brought home, (only to return) several. Warning: 1 hour in shoes that don't agree with your feet will cause your heel pain to fair up again. My setbacks seem to heal faster than before, but they are still painful and fustrating.

I brought home Five (count 'em Five!) pairs the other day. My husband wanted to know if the shoe fairy had stopped by. He went on to say he is certian I didn't need all those shoes. He was right. I only brought them home to try them on for longer than a shoe store visit will allow and model them with a few outfits. This exercise will only make since to those of us who have spent a small fortune on shoes we can no longer wear.

I 'testdrive' shoes in my home on carpet before I walk them on concrete, cause once you scuff up the bottoms, you own them for life. I bought one pair of $70.00 Springer's 'Clarks' that it turns out hurt my feet, where as a $17.00 pair of Thom McAnn sandals bought at KMart still seem to feel pretty good. Go figure.

My Teva blue-grey 'Circuits' are still the shoes that get my feet back on track when I've done something to cause a flair up. And, my SAS freetime walking shoes are still serving me well too.

So this is my shoe shopping report. Take from it what you will.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Shoe, shoes, ouch, ouch

Bob G. on 5/27/00 at 00:49 (020936)

Hey, Kim! I wear my New Balance 877's everywhere. When I have to dress up, I wear my Florshiems with Birkenstock arch supports.

Pauline on 5/27/00 at 11:03 (020946)

Kim,
I know what you mean. I have purchased several pairs of shoes, both
running and walking only to return them or get stuck with them. My
old Nikes are the most comfortable. Even before the my PF flare
up I had trouble getting comfortable fitting shoes. I think the
last PF I had that lasted 2 1/2 years left my arches very sensitive.
I cannot stand the feel of anything against my arches. I need shoes
with flat interiors.
I hate having to deal with PF, but I am thankful that this does go
away some things dont.

Re: Hey Bob,

Kim B. on 5/27/00 at 18:48 (020963)

Hi,

Are those Birkenstock inserts hard or soft? Full length or 3/4?

Here's one: You know you have PF when you plan you social engagements around what kind of shoes the event calls for!

Regards, Kim

Bob G. on 5/27/00 at 21:27 (020966)

Hey, Kim! The only social engagements I get invites to are slumber parties, nightsplints required!

My Birkenstock arch supports are 3/4 and firm. My feet love 'em.

Nancy S. on 5/27/00 at 22:19 (020967)

Bob, want my Birk inserts? Love the shoes, hate the inserts. No resemblance. Only $55, C.O.D. Oh ok, make it $54, since I wore them for three days (but only with clean socks, so how about $54.50?). Be a sport, Bob. --Nancy

Bob G. on 5/28/00 at 01:20 (020969)

I wear Birkenstock arch supports

BIRKENSTOCK Futtbett

I am a good sport...

Re: Centipede with PF

Bob G. on 5/28/00 at 11:50 (020980)

If I were a centipede, I'd want to buy all the arch supports on the market. Pity the poor Myriapod with dozens of sore feet!

ChrisO on 5/28/00 at 11:51 (020981)

Hey Bob - I'm going to be in SLO June 6-8 and I've a call in to Dennis to see if he can alter my orthotics. Can I buy you a beer? Sorry, though, no slumber parties for me! Would you settle for a mile-long jog? (email removed)

Kim B. on 5/28/00 at 14:35 (020989)

Hey Chris, I feel certian you can buy Good Sport Bob a beer! Ha! And, if you're ever passing through the big D, I'm thirsty too!!

Regards, Kim B.

ChrisO on 5/29/00 at 17:42 (021044)

Hey Kim - Hmmmm....Big D - would that be Dallas? Am I woefully ignorant of my own country's nicknames? Actually, San Antonio is on my list of next places to visit........do they have beer there?

Re: Hey Chris,

Kim B. on 5/29/00 at 19:56 (021053)

Yes, Big D = Dallas.

Yes, they have lots of Beer in San Antonio. I highly recommend Corona with a lime! It will make your feet feel better!

By the way, San Antonio is very hot during the Summer months. The 'RiverWalk' runs through part of the downtown area and is a nice place to visit but when you mix the water from the river that with the high heat, it can be humid down by the RiverWalk. Try to go when it's cool. And mind your feet, RiverWalk = lots of walking too.

Regards, Kim

Bob G. on 5/27/00 at 00:49 (020936)

Hey, Kim! I wear my New Balance 877's everywhere. When I have to dress up, I wear my Florshiems with Birkenstock arch supports.

Pauline on 5/27/00 at 11:03 (020946)

Kim,
I know what you mean. I have purchased several pairs of shoes, both
running and walking only to return them or get stuck with them. My
old Nikes are the most comfortable. Even before the my PF flare
up I had trouble getting comfortable fitting shoes. I think the
last PF I had that lasted 2 1/2 years left my arches very sensitive.
I cannot stand the feel of anything against my arches. I need shoes
with flat interiors.
I hate having to deal with PF, but I am thankful that this does go
away some things dont.

Kim B. on 5/27/00 at 18:48 (020963)

Hi,

Are those Birkenstock inserts hard or soft? Full length or 3/4?

Here's one: You know you have PF when you plan you social engagements around what kind of shoes the event calls for!

Regards, Kim

Bob G. on 5/27/00 at 21:27 (020966)

Hey, Kim! The only social engagements I get invites to are slumber parties, nightsplints required!

My Birkenstock arch supports are 3/4 and firm. My feet love 'em.

Nancy S. on 5/27/00 at 22:19 (020967)

Bob, want my Birk inserts? Love the shoes, hate the inserts. No resemblance. Only $55, C.O.D. Oh ok, make it $54, since I wore them for three days (but only with clean socks, so how about $54.50?). Be a sport, Bob. --Nancy

Bob G. on 5/28/00 at 01:20 (020969)

I wear Birkenstock arch supports

BIRKENSTOCK Futtbett

I am a good sport...

Re: Centipede with PF

Bob G. on 5/28/00 at 11:50 (020980)

If I were a centipede, I'd want to buy all the arch supports on the market. Pity the poor Myriapod with dozens of sore feet!

ChrisO on 5/28/00 at 11:51 (020981)

Hey Bob - I'm going to be in SLO June 6-8 and I've a call in to Dennis to see if he can alter my orthotics. Can I buy you a beer? Sorry, though, no slumber parties for me! Would you settle for a mile-long jog? (email removed)

Kim B. on 5/28/00 at 14:35 (020989)

Hey Chris, I feel certian you can buy Good Sport Bob a beer! Ha! And, if you're ever passing through the big D, I'm thirsty too!!

Regards, Kim B.

ChrisO on 5/29/00 at 17:42 (021044)

Hey Kim - Hmmmm....Big D - would that be Dallas? Am I woefully ignorant of my own country's nicknames? Actually, San Antonio is on my list of next places to visit........do they have beer there?

Re: Hey Chris,

Kim B. on 5/29/00 at 19:56 (021053)

Yes, Big D = Dallas.

Yes, they have lots of Beer in San Antonio. I highly recommend Corona with a lime! It will make your feet feel better!

By the way, San Antonio is very hot during the Summer months. The 'RiverWalk' runs through part of the downtown area and is a nice place to visit but when you mix the water from the river that with the high heat, it can be humid down by the RiverWalk. Try to go when it's cool. And mind your feet, RiverWalk = lots of walking too.

Regards, Kim