Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good News/Bad News ...Decisions

Posted by Beverly on 5/27/00 at 18:45 (020962)

I have good news and bad news.

My good news is that I think my orthodics are starting to help my left foot. I see some significant improvement in the left foot. I don't think the right foot is a perfect fit yet and the right foot has always been my more injured foot, but even it is a little better. (I've just had my orthodics/soft kind for 10 days.)

I think to some extent I'm also learning how to pace myself. For a type A personality, it is a real challenge to say to myself, 'Go home and rest.. . put your feet up, and run that last errand tomorrow.' But I am doing just that.

One thing I am noticing is that since I've gotten the orthodics, I seem to be bouncing back faster after an episode of 'been on my feet too much' pain. When I say bouncing back, it means that after a couple hours of rest, I can usually get around the house with only mild pain, and when resting, my feet either don't hurt or only hurt a little bit. I've yet to reach any real recovery, but I'm only just now past the two month mark.

I also tried a new massage therapist who did 'friction massage.' I didn't let her go deep and she was relunctant to go deep, but it felt good. I'll try it again.

My mental health is also better. I have given myself permission to lighten my load. And my stress level feels at least 50% better!

My bad news is that I am reminded that there are worse things than PF, and I am getting a reminder in my own body. I'm having eye pain again... extreme pain in my right eye. Of course it is Memorial Day Weekend, and I am about to go on vacation in three days with my Dad for a two week trip to the middle of nowhere. Last year I had 'Iritis' (an inflammation in my eyeball that caused pain like a Migraine, amplified several times, red eyes, extreme light sensitivity, and it changed my vision so much I had to get new glasses.) I saw my eye doctor Friday, and he said that presently my eye just looks 'rough & dry' on the cornea, and he gave me drops for that, but he said that there is no way to predict if it is going to turn into Iritis. So he was nice enough to also send me off with the cortizone drops that cure Iritis and said to watch for any further symptoms. I am praying that it stays just dry/rough cornea with allergies.

What I am learning from all of this is that illness and our reaction to it is tied into fear and what we fear the most as well as what we value most. As much as I hate having sore feet and what it does to my life, it is much scarier for me to have my vision disturbed, because I am a writer/journalist and a bookworm.

I am also reminded that for the very healthy it is fine and good for them to think that everytime we run to the doctor for 'some little thing,' we're being babies, but for those of us with less than great health it pays to be alert. When I had Iritis last year I waited 10 days before I went to the doctor... mostly because I wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't going to run to the doctor for every ache. By the time he saw me, the Iritis was quite developed. This time, I got smarter, and went to the doctor right away. Knowing that I have the meds I need in case it goes into Iritis, gives me greater peace of mind, because treated early, I'll probably bounce back without vision changes.

Hope you have a good holiday weekend,
Beverly

Re: Good News/Bad News ...Decisions

Bob G. on 5/27/00 at 22:56 (020968)

Good, Bev, that you are progressing. Hope your vacation with your Dad is fun for you! Good luck with your eyes!

It must be difficult for a type 'A' to relax - but you must. As you know, your PF must heal first, then recovery. Be patient, please! You can do it!!!

Re: Good News/Bad News ...Decisions

Bob G. on 5/27/00 at 22:56 (020968)

Good, Bev, that you are progressing. Hope your vacation with your Dad is fun for you! Good luck with your eyes!

It must be difficult for a type 'A' to relax - but you must. As you know, your PF must heal first, then recovery. Be patient, please! You can do it!!!