Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Manual Transmission Affect on PF?

Posted by Phil in Richland on 5/28/00 at 01:40 (020970)

I have had relatively mild PF for about 6 months now but didn't know what it was until I had it diagnosed this past week. I drive a manual transmission and, since my PF is left foot only, was wondering if there is a link. Anybody out there know the answer? I noticed on the message boards that PF seems to strike the left foot more frequently... is this also true in countries that drive on the other side of the road?? Some doc out there should be able to pull up the stats I hope. Since I'm just starting my search for relief, I need to know if I should begin by looking for an automatic transmission?
Please select your response to the above survey question:
Results
.option 1 = 0 votes . . . voters:
.option 2 = 0 votes . . . voters:
.option 3 = 0 votes . . . voters:
.option 4 = 0 votes . . . voters:

Re: Manual Transmission Affect on PF?

Melody on 5/28/00 at 05:17 (020972)

I have an automatic car - not because of PF though. I have noticed that I can drive when my foot is very painful which I could not do before. I need to position my foot very carefully or it can hurt like crazy when I try to get out. I think if you strecth your foot out it can make things bad. If I bend my knee and have my foot flat on the floor then I am fine.

I am not sure that I would have changed my car just because of the PF.
I am in the Uk and drive on the left but I am not sure that this could make any difference at all. Isnt the clutch pedal on the same side which ever side of the road you drive on?

Yours
Mel

Nancy S. on 5/28/00 at 08:45 (020977)

Hi Phil. I too have PF in left foot only; it's been a year now. I had changed to an automatic about a year before PF hit, but think if I hadn't before that I would have after. When the PF was really bad, for about 8 months, I couldn't drive my husband's manual truck. I don't know for a fact that using the clutch makes PF worse, but it certainly made me feel more pain, so I was suspicious of it and wouldn't drive it. My case seems to be gradually improving, but I still don't like to drive the manual truck. I figure why take a chance that it might make it worse. Also, if you have a secret desire for a new vehicle, I think PF is an excellent excuse to get one! --Nancy

HankC on 5/28/00 at 15:26 (020992)

I drive a manual transmission (Mazda pickup truck) and have pf
in my left foot. Every time I come to a stop light I shift the
gears to neutral, release the clutch, and put the right foot on
the brake. This may seem silly but it sure beats killing my left
foot for those long light cycles! Geez, the things we have to
do for our feet!
best, Hank

Rosie A on 5/30/00 at 09:19 (021075)

I think it definately doesn't help have to working the clutch. I drive a standard and since I am very small person I have to put the clutch in with my tip toes. Since my feet would start hurting worse during rush hour traffic, (clutch in, clutch out)my husband and I decided to experiment. So now he drops me off at work most of the time and I only drive highway (non peak times, of course) or small trips. What a great excuse to not have to deal with traffic!

KarenK on 5/31/00 at 10:45 (021108)

I got rid of my manual transmission sports car a year ago. I noticed a marked improvement in my left foot and knee almost immediately. Rush hour traffic always brought on more pain.

Phil in Richland on 6/13/00 at 22:02 (021782)

Thank you, and others, for your replies. Based on several responses, it looks like the manual transmission can't be helping. Since my case is relatively mild so far, I really don't want to aggravate it.

I realized after I posted my query that those who drive on the other side of the road probably still had a left-footed clutch. Kind of silly of me.

Melody on 5/28/00 at 05:17 (020972)

I have an automatic car - not because of PF though. I have noticed that I can drive when my foot is very painful which I could not do before. I need to position my foot very carefully or it can hurt like crazy when I try to get out. I think if you strecth your foot out it can make things bad. If I bend my knee and have my foot flat on the floor then I am fine.

I am not sure that I would have changed my car just because of the PF.
I am in the Uk and drive on the left but I am not sure that this could make any difference at all. Isnt the clutch pedal on the same side which ever side of the road you drive on?

Yours
Mel

Nancy S. on 5/28/00 at 08:45 (020977)

Hi Phil. I too have PF in left foot only; it's been a year now. I had changed to an automatic about a year before PF hit, but think if I hadn't before that I would have after. When the PF was really bad, for about 8 months, I couldn't drive my husband's manual truck. I don't know for a fact that using the clutch makes PF worse, but it certainly made me feel more pain, so I was suspicious of it and wouldn't drive it. My case seems to be gradually improving, but I still don't like to drive the manual truck. I figure why take a chance that it might make it worse. Also, if you have a secret desire for a new vehicle, I think PF is an excellent excuse to get one! --Nancy

HankC on 5/28/00 at 15:26 (020992)

I drive a manual transmission (Mazda pickup truck) and have pf
in my left foot. Every time I come to a stop light I shift the
gears to neutral, release the clutch, and put the right foot on
the brake. This may seem silly but it sure beats killing my left
foot for those long light cycles! Geez, the things we have to
do for our feet!
best, Hank

Rosie A on 5/30/00 at 09:19 (021075)

I think it definately doesn't help have to working the clutch. I drive a standard and since I am very small person I have to put the clutch in with my tip toes. Since my feet would start hurting worse during rush hour traffic, (clutch in, clutch out)my husband and I decided to experiment. So now he drops me off at work most of the time and I only drive highway (non peak times, of course) or small trips. What a great excuse to not have to deal with traffic!

KarenK on 5/31/00 at 10:45 (021108)

I got rid of my manual transmission sports car a year ago. I noticed a marked improvement in my left foot and knee almost immediately. Rush hour traffic always brought on more pain.

Phil in Richland on 6/13/00 at 22:02 (021782)

Thank you, and others, for your replies. Based on several responses, it looks like the manual transmission can't be helping. Since my case is relatively mild so far, I really don't want to aggravate it.

I realized after I posted my query that those who drive on the other side of the road probably still had a left-footed clutch. Kind of silly of me.