Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is PF without any heel pain a possibility?

Posted by phils on 5/28/00 at 13:56 (020986)

Great website! I've been visiting for several months, but this is my first message.

I've had what I think is PF for about five months; my feet get sore, tired, and inflamed after standing or walking for just a few minutes, but there is no heel pain to speak of. My xrays only showed a small spur on the back of each foot, and the podiatrist didn't think that was what was causing my discomfort, but he gave me the standard PF treatments to try: stretching, taping, suggested shots, etc.

The taping only made my feet feel more constricted and inflamed, the stretching seems to feel good, but I'm seeing no improvement. Being on my feet too long once or twice has made things worse each time, with no subsequent 'bouncing back' when I stay off my feet. Since so few people seem to have PF without any heel pain, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm on the wrong track. Any feedback from people with PF without heel pain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Is PF without any heel pain a possibility?

Beth D. on 5/29/00 at 12:34 (021031)

Hi Phil,

You may want to get an MRI to measure the thickness of your fascia. I had one done and found out I had tendonitis, not pf. I had the same symptom that you had-by 3 or 4 pm everyday my feet were killing me. The longer I stood or walked, the worse I felt. I also bounced back for a while. I got orthotics (rigid) early after the initial diagnosis of pf and tt. Somedays I walked up to 2 miles because I thought I was cured. I stretched and stretched and probably overstretched the tendon. For me the MRI was pivitol in figuring out what I had and what to do for it. I have found relief by: not stretching, icing, wearing Birks, and taking various meds and vitamins.

Beth D.

phils on 5/29/00 at 23:17 (021068)

Thanks for your reply and tip on TTS, Beth. Did the orthotics help at all? I've been using stretching as my primary therapy for five months now, and I'm beginning to think a little bit goes a long way, and a lot may be too much. I think I'll ask my doctor about that MRI suggestion, it's great to get ideas from fellow sufferers.

By the way, the only real 'pain' I feel, besides feeling like I've backpacked for ten hours after standing for one minute, is a spot on the outside of one foot, on top!, just behind the toe. Does this square with what you know of TTS?

Re: What's the difference between PF & tendonitis?

Helene M on 5/30/00 at 08:49 (021073)

I, too, have PF with no heel pain. What is the difference between PF & tendonitis if they both occur on the bottom of the foot?

Beth D. on 5/30/00 at 10:22 (021077)

Hi Phil and Helene,

Phil-the only pain I've felt on the top of my foot is right at the big toe joint-the one farthest back from the end of my toe. I think that problem was caused from my birks not being tight enough on my foot. I do take glusanamine chrondroiten for my joints and have felt better. I don't think the orthotics helped my feet. I had major pain and gave them 16 weeks to break them in. I finally started collecting birks after reading about them on this board. They are stiff, but conform to your foot. I also use ice when it feels like my feet are getting inflamed.

Helene-a good website to go to regarding posterior tibial tendonitis is:www.sechrest.com/mmg/foot/ptt/ptt.html#symptoms. Another one is:www.foothealth.net/html/dealer_network.html

Beth D.

ChrisO on 5/30/00 at 11:30 (021078)

Hi Helene - my question exactly! I was under the impression that PF is sort of a form of tendonitis.....

Helene M on 5/31/00 at 08:09 (021100)

Beth, thank you for the websites. After reading them, it seems that post-tib tendonitis occurs in flat-footed people, of which I am the opposite. Or perhaps the flat-footedness is a result of the post-tib tendonitis. Are you flat-footed?
A few more questions: Where on the bottom of your foot is the pain located & how do you distinguish it from PF pain? What is the purpose of measuring the thickness of the fascia? Thanks!

Beth D. on 6/01/00 at 17:31 (021183)

Hi Helene,

I really don't know if I'm flatfooted. The pt's and docs all agree my arch looks ok when non weight bearing. I suspect my foot flattens and/or pronates when I'm weight bearing. The pain on the bottom of my feet feels like an all over soreness. It feels warm. Sometimes in shoes it feels like my feet are just swelling. Another part of this journey was discovering that my feet had gotten bigger-and I wasn't buying shoes big enough. Now that I am in birks it's better.

I was getting the thickness of my fascia measured to see if I were a candidate for one of the shockwave treatments. Now that my diagnosis changed, I'm taking it slowly in hopes of recovering. I've scheduled an appointment with an orthopedist in July to get another opinion and I may talk to him about casting my worse foot.

Beth D.

Re: Thank you, Beth eom

Helene M on 6/02/00 at 09:51 (021206)

Beth D. on 5/29/00 at 12:34 (021031)

Hi Phil,

You may want to get an MRI to measure the thickness of your fascia. I had one done and found out I had tendonitis, not pf. I had the same symptom that you had-by 3 or 4 pm everyday my feet were killing me. The longer I stood or walked, the worse I felt. I also bounced back for a while. I got orthotics (rigid) early after the initial diagnosis of pf and tt. Somedays I walked up to 2 miles because I thought I was cured. I stretched and stretched and probably overstretched the tendon. For me the MRI was pivitol in figuring out what I had and what to do for it. I have found relief by: not stretching, icing, wearing Birks, and taking various meds and vitamins.

Beth D.

phils on 5/29/00 at 23:17 (021068)

Thanks for your reply and tip on TTS, Beth. Did the orthotics help at all? I've been using stretching as my primary therapy for five months now, and I'm beginning to think a little bit goes a long way, and a lot may be too much. I think I'll ask my doctor about that MRI suggestion, it's great to get ideas from fellow sufferers.

By the way, the only real 'pain' I feel, besides feeling like I've backpacked for ten hours after standing for one minute, is a spot on the outside of one foot, on top!, just behind the toe. Does this square with what you know of TTS?

Helene M on 5/30/00 at 08:49 (021073)

I, too, have PF with no heel pain. What is the difference between PF & tendonitis if they both occur on the bottom of the foot?

Beth D. on 5/30/00 at 10:22 (021077)

Hi Phil and Helene,

Phil-the only pain I've felt on the top of my foot is right at the big toe joint-the one farthest back from the end of my toe. I think that problem was caused from my birks not being tight enough on my foot. I do take glusanamine chrondroiten for my joints and have felt better. I don't think the orthotics helped my feet. I had major pain and gave them 16 weeks to break them in. I finally started collecting birks after reading about them on this board. They are stiff, but conform to your foot. I also use ice when it feels like my feet are getting inflamed.

Helene-a good website to go to regarding posterior tibial tendonitis is:www.sechrest.com/mmg/foot/ptt/ptt.html#symptoms. Another one is:www.foothealth.net/html/dealer_network.html

Beth D.

ChrisO on 5/30/00 at 11:30 (021078)

Hi Helene - my question exactly! I was under the impression that PF is sort of a form of tendonitis.....

Helene M on 5/31/00 at 08:09 (021100)

Beth, thank you for the websites. After reading them, it seems that post-tib tendonitis occurs in flat-footed people, of which I am the opposite. Or perhaps the flat-footedness is a result of the post-tib tendonitis. Are you flat-footed?
A few more questions: Where on the bottom of your foot is the pain located & how do you distinguish it from PF pain? What is the purpose of measuring the thickness of the fascia? Thanks!

Beth D. on 6/01/00 at 17:31 (021183)

Hi Helene,

I really don't know if I'm flatfooted. The pt's and docs all agree my arch looks ok when non weight bearing. I suspect my foot flattens and/or pronates when I'm weight bearing. The pain on the bottom of my feet feels like an all over soreness. It feels warm. Sometimes in shoes it feels like my feet are just swelling. Another part of this journey was discovering that my feet had gotten bigger-and I wasn't buying shoes big enough. Now that I am in birks it's better.

I was getting the thickness of my fascia measured to see if I were a candidate for one of the shockwave treatments. Now that my diagnosis changed, I'm taking it slowly in hopes of recovering. I've scheduled an appointment with an orthopedist in July to get another opinion and I may talk to him about casting my worse foot.

Beth D.

Re: Thank you, Beth eom

Helene M on 6/02/00 at 09:51 (021206)