Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does consistant heel height matter? Any good 2 inch sandals?

Posted by Beverly on 5/28/00 at 21:13 (021011)

For those of you who have had at least some improvement in your pain,
did consistant heel height play into it?

My doctor said something a couple of weeks ago I am only now starting to really think about. He said to stay consistant with heel height.
That brings me to a question. If my running shoes are about 2 inches, then my walk around the house sandals should be the same. My Eccos are a little over 1 inch. I wear them around the house, and I like them, but I am wondering if this inconsistant heel height is playing into my slow recovery.

Has anyone found 2 inch sandals that they like? Neither Birks nor Eccos are 2 inches.

I have a good shopping opportunity, because on my way to my trip with my Dad on Tuesday, I'll be staying in Dallas/Ft. Worth for a few days... land of much better shopping than my small city.
Thanks,
Beverly

PS: Has anyone met Dr. Z in person?

Re: dr. zuckerman treated me!

iris on 5/28/00 at 21:30 (021012)

if you go to the shock wave therapy board you will see my several postings. an extremely wonderful, caring human being and great doctor. iris

p.s. dr. zuckerman recommended that i stay with the same heel height as well.

Re: Does consistant heel height matter? Any good 2 inch sandals?

Nancy S. on 5/28/00 at 22:40 (021015)

Hi Beverly -- I worry about consistent heel height only because I'm afraid it might cause weakness or vulnerability in other areas of the foot. I do vary heel height, between hiking boots (about 2 inches) and Birks, and my PF has improved a lot in the last few months. The majority of the time I wear Birks; but if I wear them every second, I notice some tightening or soreness in other areas of the foot. Still, they are my mainstay, and perhaps your doctor is right. I'm not sure, obviously. I just think that it must be good to give at least a little variety to your feet in how they hit the ground. Just my thoughts.
I wish you a wonderful vacation, Beverly! --Nancy

VickiJ on 5/29/00 at 10:21 (021025)

I am in the healing process and I find that No matter which shoes I start the day with my feet begin to hurt (if I spend considerable time on them) by lunch time...I find that when I change heel height by either changing shoes or removing the heel cushion from my current shoes my feet feel better and I can still walk/stand around if I am required to.

Despite the advice given by doctors, myself and other posters, you have to listen to your own feet and then weight all the info gathered from all sources to experiment and discover what works for you.

Re: dr. zuckerman treated me!

iris on 5/28/00 at 21:30 (021012)

if you go to the shock wave therapy board you will see my several postings. an extremely wonderful, caring human being and great doctor. iris

p.s. dr. zuckerman recommended that i stay with the same heel height as well.

Nancy S. on 5/28/00 at 22:40 (021015)

Hi Beverly -- I worry about consistent heel height only because I'm afraid it might cause weakness or vulnerability in other areas of the foot. I do vary heel height, between hiking boots (about 2 inches) and Birks, and my PF has improved a lot in the last few months. The majority of the time I wear Birks; but if I wear them every second, I notice some tightening or soreness in other areas of the foot. Still, they are my mainstay, and perhaps your doctor is right. I'm not sure, obviously. I just think that it must be good to give at least a little variety to your feet in how they hit the ground. Just my thoughts.
I wish you a wonderful vacation, Beverly! --Nancy

VickiJ on 5/29/00 at 10:21 (021025)

I am in the healing process and I find that No matter which shoes I start the day with my feet begin to hurt (if I spend considerable time on them) by lunch time...I find that when I change heel height by either changing shoes or removing the heel cushion from my current shoes my feet feel better and I can still walk/stand around if I am required to.

Despite the advice given by doctors, myself and other posters, you have to listen to your own feet and then weight all the info gathered from all sources to experiment and discover what works for you.