Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS Sufferers

Posted by Angie on 5/30/00 at 19:00 (021086)

To everyone out there with TTS. What has worked for you the most in getting pain relief from TTS. I am taping the Tarsal Tunnel area with athletic tape and it seems to take the strained feeling away from that area. Of course when it hurt before I iced the area, but it always felt strained again within 2 hours or so. I just was wondering what others have tried and if anyone else taped that area and got relief from it. Also the birk sandals I bought are great. They are really helping. I only tape when I am not wearing the birk sandals and wearing other shoes. When the birks are on I do not have the pain at all. I think I am going to purchase birks dress shoes also for work. Does anyone know of any athletic shoes that are similar to birks in structure. I need a good pair of sneakers. I have tried Nike, New Balance -they are ok, but still have some pain with them. Too many questions so I better stop. Any help from TTS sufferers would be appreciated. Thanks Angie

Re: TTS Sufferers

wendyn on 5/30/00 at 20:50 (021091)

Hi Angie!

If you get lots of relief from Birks - you may want to try a blue Birkenstock insert in a running shoe. I don't think it would matter much which kind. This works fairly well for me, but the pressure from the shoe by my inner ankle still drives me up the wall. I'm thinking of trying a high top shoe that won't push there.

Elevation seems to help a lot. Lay on the floor (on your back) and put a stool or a chair near your butt. Lift your legs so your thighs are at a 90 degree angle to your body, and then drop your legs down at the knees so your lower legs are at a 90 degreee angle to your thighs. (Would like like you're sitting on the chair sideways). In addition to elevating your feet, this is also supposed to help relax your back muscles. When I have to stay in at lunch (and obviously only when I'm not in a skirt!) I do this in my little cube at work. I usually fall asleep. Kind of surprising for people who happen to poke their heads in to see me but people I know are used to my odd behaviour.

Taping works for me too, but I try not to do it much.

Icing works when things are bad.

Acupuncture and B12 supplements seem to be helping as well as leg and gentle foot massage.

Also - rest lots and most importantly - try to find out what caused your problem in the first place and QUIT DOING IT. For me this means, no running, no stairmaster and no orthotics. Because I am also one of those Type A people, this has also meant I've had to slow down and take life at a slower pace than what I'm accustomed to.

Re: TTS Sufferers Re TTS

Laurie R on 5/30/00 at 21:55 (021092)

Hi Angie,
Sometimes ice works for me and other times it drives me crazy .I have been in a hard cast now for 5 weeks and it has helped so much with the PF and the TTS.It took longer for it to help the TTS but it did and I am so happy now the key is when the cast comes off.This is the second time I have had the hard cast ,when it comes off I have to go back in a walking cast for a while.

I only have TTS in one foot but I have PF in both feet The right has both and it is the worse of the two.

Do you have TTS and PF ? and is it in both your feet?

I know it is so hard to figure out what works ,just keep trying everything you can think of to see what is best.Have you tryed a hard cast yet?

Ok I hope this helped a little bit.My very best to you.Laurie R

alan k on 5/31/00 at 07:30 (021097)

I found gentle foot exercises followed by icing the region and elevation to be helpful, but this is uncertain in other peoples' cases.

Also, I gently massage the region, attempting to stretch out the inner ankle and the fibrous tissue there: stoking from the ankle/achilles region down to the 'corners' of the heel/side of foot. Some people have felt negative about massage therapists pressing hard in the tt region, but I feel that soft work there is essential.

Also, I have found that a cheap futuro ankle brace helpful, though not if worn too often or too long. Just when doing exercise, such as cycling, which I can now tolerate due to the progress made from th above therapies.

About shoes, I unfortunately have had no luck. I can't find anything other than classic birks which work for me. The birk-shoes are tolerable but not great. Athletic shoes and orthotics are a disaster. I just ordered the spenco orthotic inserts which you heat up and mold to your feet. Perhaps this will be my answer. I'll let you know.

Does anyone know why birk sandals are good for tts? And which birk inserts have you tried that work?

yours,
alan k

Rick R on 5/31/00 at 12:34 (021112)

I have found Asics running shoes to be the best for a combination of arch support and cushioning of the heels. Good luck!

Rick

Re: WendyN

Angie on 5/31/00 at 16:27 (021118)

Wendy-You have me curious. You said that taping works for you as well-but that you try not to do it. Why would you not continue doing something that works for you? Are you worried about muscle atrophy? I am just curious to find out your reasons. As far as finding the reason I got TTS & PF and stop doing it. That is a hard one. In October 99 I went to Florida and did alot of walking around the parks. That is when I came down with PF in both feet. I kept telling my podiatrist that I had pain behind the ankle bone running down to the arch as well as in the heal. He said it was from inflammation. He never tested me for TTS at all. I am seriously thinking I may have TTS as well. I have read up on it -and my symptoms are there. As far as being tested for it-no I have not. I really am not impressed with what the medical field has offered me so far, therefore I do not have enough confidence in them to treat or test me at this point. I find it very hard to believe that with all the modern medicine that is out there today there is no cure for us. I know some people get better with conservative treatments, but I have not been one of them. My depression is getting worse daily and most days I just do not wish to face the world. That is not me at all- I feel like I have lost who I am. I am wondering if I will ever be 'me' again. Angie

alan k on 5/31/00 at 17:32 (021125)

sorry to butt in, but I just want you to know that most of us went through a bout of depression and came out okay. You do lose yourself, but then you get a new self. Mine's alright. But I wouldn't mind being this me, but with normal feet.

You might try a supplement like SAMe, or see a professional about gettign help. In fact, getting past the depression was the first step in getting better for many of us-- the connection between mind and body is that close...

take care,

alan k

Re: WendyN -- to Angie

Nancy S. on 5/31/00 at 21:08 (021144)

Hi Angie -- You will be you again, probably with some additions that might be hard for you to see right now, such as:
more determination;
more empathy for people with physical (or emotional) ailments;
a broader ability to endure disappointment;
less of a tendency to take things (like feet) for granted;
more gratitude for the simple abilities.
Alan is right, probably everyone on this board has endured depression over this, and sometimes still struggle with it.
I had it bad this past winter and felt exactly as you describe yourself feeling. But I do have faith that this affliction can make me a stronger person; every so often I see glimpses of it, but it will probably be a while before I can really look back and say 'I've grown a lot because of PF' and 'In some ways I'm glad it happened and changed me for the better.'
I know this perspective doesn't come overnight, by any means, especially when you feel in the throes of it as you sound now -- but it will change, you will change: everything does. So have hope -- your underlying energy will get you to a better place.
--Nancy

Re: Response to Angie

wendyn on 5/31/00 at 21:31 (021145)

Angie, first I'll give you a little background - there are so many of us that it's hard to keep everyone straight. A year ago this week my pain in both feet was a constant 6+. I could not sleep, I could not eat and I couldn't think. I was in pain all the time, even at rest. When I had to move at all, I would often hold my breath. I have never ever experienced anything like this. I could not go to the grocery store or the mall, and I avoided driving whenever possible. I cried ALOT. Taping did not help at that time.

Now, if I tape, it helps a bit - but my pain is a constant 2-3 or so. On a bad day (say a bad day in April or May) I think the worst would be a 6 or 7 but that was short lived and mostly from my back. I don't tape simply because I don't feel the need to. Same reason I don't ice. If my pain goes up, I will start taping and icing. Taping can break down your skin, and contribute to atrophy - but you do what you have to do to keep the pain in control.

The depression is tough. I can honestly say I know what it is to become suicidal from chronic pain. Not that I was, but I could certainly see it becoming a potential problem if things didn't improve. Really focus on one day at a time, and what's happening right now - not what will happen later. Take good care of yourself and never rule out some professional counselling and/or medication if need be. Nobody gets a medal for suffering in silence.

Take care and continue to let us know how you're doing.

wendyn on 5/30/00 at 20:50 (021091)

Hi Angie!

If you get lots of relief from Birks - you may want to try a blue Birkenstock insert in a running shoe. I don't think it would matter much which kind. This works fairly well for me, but the pressure from the shoe by my inner ankle still drives me up the wall. I'm thinking of trying a high top shoe that won't push there.

Elevation seems to help a lot. Lay on the floor (on your back) and put a stool or a chair near your butt. Lift your legs so your thighs are at a 90 degree angle to your body, and then drop your legs down at the knees so your lower legs are at a 90 degreee angle to your thighs. (Would like like you're sitting on the chair sideways). In addition to elevating your feet, this is also supposed to help relax your back muscles. When I have to stay in at lunch (and obviously only when I'm not in a skirt!) I do this in my little cube at work. I usually fall asleep. Kind of surprising for people who happen to poke their heads in to see me but people I know are used to my odd behaviour.

Taping works for me too, but I try not to do it much.

Icing works when things are bad.

Acupuncture and B12 supplements seem to be helping as well as leg and gentle foot massage.

Also - rest lots and most importantly - try to find out what caused your problem in the first place and QUIT DOING IT. For me this means, no running, no stairmaster and no orthotics. Because I am also one of those Type A people, this has also meant I've had to slow down and take life at a slower pace than what I'm accustomed to.

Re: TTS Sufferers Re TTS

Laurie R on 5/30/00 at 21:55 (021092)

Hi Angie,
Sometimes ice works for me and other times it drives me crazy .I have been in a hard cast now for 5 weeks and it has helped so much with the PF and the TTS.It took longer for it to help the TTS but it did and I am so happy now the key is when the cast comes off.This is the second time I have had the hard cast ,when it comes off I have to go back in a walking cast for a while.

I only have TTS in one foot but I have PF in both feet The right has both and it is the worse of the two.

Do you have TTS and PF ? and is it in both your feet?

I know it is so hard to figure out what works ,just keep trying everything you can think of to see what is best.Have you tryed a hard cast yet?

Ok I hope this helped a little bit.My very best to you.Laurie R

alan k on 5/31/00 at 07:30 (021097)

I found gentle foot exercises followed by icing the region and elevation to be helpful, but this is uncertain in other peoples' cases.

Also, I gently massage the region, attempting to stretch out the inner ankle and the fibrous tissue there: stoking from the ankle/achilles region down to the 'corners' of the heel/side of foot. Some people have felt negative about massage therapists pressing hard in the tt region, but I feel that soft work there is essential.

Also, I have found that a cheap futuro ankle brace helpful, though not if worn too often or too long. Just when doing exercise, such as cycling, which I can now tolerate due to the progress made from th above therapies.

About shoes, I unfortunately have had no luck. I can't find anything other than classic birks which work for me. The birk-shoes are tolerable but not great. Athletic shoes and orthotics are a disaster. I just ordered the spenco orthotic inserts which you heat up and mold to your feet. Perhaps this will be my answer. I'll let you know.

Does anyone know why birk sandals are good for tts? And which birk inserts have you tried that work?

yours,
alan k

Rick R on 5/31/00 at 12:34 (021112)

I have found Asics running shoes to be the best for a combination of arch support and cushioning of the heels. Good luck!

Rick

Angie on 5/31/00 at 16:27 (021118)

Wendy-You have me curious. You said that taping works for you as well-but that you try not to do it. Why would you not continue doing something that works for you? Are you worried about muscle atrophy? I am just curious to find out your reasons. As far as finding the reason I got TTS & PF and stop doing it. That is a hard one. In October 99 I went to Florida and did alot of walking around the parks. That is when I came down with PF in both feet. I kept telling my podiatrist that I had pain behind the ankle bone running down to the arch as well as in the heal. He said it was from inflammation. He never tested me for TTS at all. I am seriously thinking I may have TTS as well. I have read up on it -and my symptoms are there. As far as being tested for it-no I have not. I really am not impressed with what the medical field has offered me so far, therefore I do not have enough confidence in them to treat or test me at this point. I find it very hard to believe that with all the modern medicine that is out there today there is no cure for us. I know some people get better with conservative treatments, but I have not been one of them. My depression is getting worse daily and most days I just do not wish to face the world. That is not me at all- I feel like I have lost who I am. I am wondering if I will ever be 'me' again. Angie

alan k on 5/31/00 at 17:32 (021125)

sorry to butt in, but I just want you to know that most of us went through a bout of depression and came out okay. You do lose yourself, but then you get a new self. Mine's alright. But I wouldn't mind being this me, but with normal feet.

You might try a supplement like SAMe, or see a professional about gettign help. In fact, getting past the depression was the first step in getting better for many of us-- the connection between mind and body is that close...

take care,

alan k

Re: WendyN -- to Angie

Nancy S. on 5/31/00 at 21:08 (021144)

Hi Angie -- You will be you again, probably with some additions that might be hard for you to see right now, such as:
more determination;
more empathy for people with physical (or emotional) ailments;
a broader ability to endure disappointment;
less of a tendency to take things (like feet) for granted;
more gratitude for the simple abilities.
Alan is right, probably everyone on this board has endured depression over this, and sometimes still struggle with it.
I had it bad this past winter and felt exactly as you describe yourself feeling. But I do have faith that this affliction can make me a stronger person; every so often I see glimpses of it, but it will probably be a while before I can really look back and say 'I've grown a lot because of PF' and 'In some ways I'm glad it happened and changed me for the better.'
I know this perspective doesn't come overnight, by any means, especially when you feel in the throes of it as you sound now -- but it will change, you will change: everything does. So have hope -- your underlying energy will get you to a better place.
--Nancy

Re: Response to Angie

wendyn on 5/31/00 at 21:31 (021145)

Angie, first I'll give you a little background - there are so many of us that it's hard to keep everyone straight. A year ago this week my pain in both feet was a constant 6+. I could not sleep, I could not eat and I couldn't think. I was in pain all the time, even at rest. When I had to move at all, I would often hold my breath. I have never ever experienced anything like this. I could not go to the grocery store or the mall, and I avoided driving whenever possible. I cried ALOT. Taping did not help at that time.

Now, if I tape, it helps a bit - but my pain is a constant 2-3 or so. On a bad day (say a bad day in April or May) I think the worst would be a 6 or 7 but that was short lived and mostly from my back. I don't tape simply because I don't feel the need to. Same reason I don't ice. If my pain goes up, I will start taping and icing. Taping can break down your skin, and contribute to atrophy - but you do what you have to do to keep the pain in control.

The depression is tough. I can honestly say I know what it is to become suicidal from chronic pain. Not that I was, but I could certainly see it becoming a potential problem if things didn't improve. Really focus on one day at a time, and what's happening right now - not what will happen later. Take good care of yourself and never rule out some professional counselling and/or medication if need be. Nobody gets a medal for suffering in silence.

Take care and continue to let us know how you're doing.