Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OssaTron Gang Update

Posted by Scott R on 5/31/00 at 19:15 (021133)

Our 12 week period is finished. It's time to tally the results.

My success has not been as great as last reported. I am taping my feet every other day. But it is noticeably better than before the treatment. This is brief, but it's as accurate as I can get.

I hope everyone else will be able to give a report.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword:

Re: OssaTron Gang Update

GinaC on 5/31/00 at 20:18 (021138)

I am about 50% better than before treatment. Overall, I am on my feet more and my pain is less severe, but unfortunately if I 'overdo' I still experience a flare-up; therefore, I still have to be careful about planning a day's activities and still find myself icing at night. Walking around the block and mowing the grass have been my most challenging activities; I could not spend most of the day on my feet. Yes, I probably would pay for treatment, as this is the only thing I have tried (including night splints, casting, acupuncture, iontonphoresis, NSAID's, stretching, chiropractic, ultrasound, Feldenkrais body work, orthotics,you-name-it,etc.over a 3-year period) that has helped and I am very hesitant about surgery. I am considering retreatment at some point, either with Ossatron or Orbasone . I am pleased that my untreated right foot, with milder PF, does not bother me at present, probably as a result of putting more weight on the treated foot. All in all, I am glad that I had Ossatron done; it has improved the quality of my life.
posted to the eswt board . . . keyword: OssaTron

MattL on 6/01/00 at 08:11 (021152)

Overall, my feelings are similiar to Scott and Gina. Clearly, I benefited from the treatment. The area that was treated is at least 50% better. However, it is subject to flare ups if I try too much- i.e. golf, mowing yard, or wearing hard dress shoes. Other areas that were not treated hurt at times. I guess that is to be expected as eswt treats symptoms not the underlying cause.

Although eswt was not a complete miracle cure for me I do not regret getting the treatment. I have dealt with pf for several years and it is the only non-invasive treatment that has given me any substantial benefit. I also do not believe there is any downside to eswt short of negligence by the operator of the equipment.

john h on 6/02/00 at 20:00 (021214)

scott: just what are you able to do now? Walk a mile or two or three a day? stay on your feet all day? on average what is your daily pain leve between 1-10? i will definitely go the orbasone route sometimes this summer. As a 4 year pf sufferer there does not seem like much to lose except the money. a number of you have tried the ossatron so i will step up with dr z or weil if they will accept me and give it a go in late june or july if they can schedule me at that time. philly or chicago is a long way from little rock but as the saying goes i will take the road less traveled. anyone one of you in chicago or philly who can provide moral support i can use it.

Scott R on 6/02/00 at 20:23 (021215)

I still can't walk 1/2 mile everyday in addition to my regualr house and work distances, which aren't that great (desk job - but i walk around a fair amount). This is more from lack of use for 4 years than from anything else, though. But I can bicycle to my heart's content, though.

Trish on 6/03/00 at 01:16 (021232)

For the last several months, John H., I've been trying to figure out if you are the same John who had surgery several months ago, and had a picture of your foot on the website post-surgery? Are you the same John? In any case, good luck in your battle with PF!!!

john h on 6/03/00 at 10:57 (021241)

trish that is me girl. surgery was august of last year on one foot.. had a PF release which was only a 15-20% release and a tarsal tunnel release. i think the tarsal tunnel was a waste of time. the foot is no better or worse. after much thought i think if you only release 15% of the fascia using the baxter procedure you have not released enough to do any good. the band of fascia that runs from my great toe to heel is the same on both feet (tight). unless that band gets some relief and this is where your problem resides i do not think you will achieve relief. my plan is to go for the orbasone by the end of july and treat the area of pain which is where the band of fascia from great toe joins the heel.. If after 9 months i am at least 90% improved i intend to pay for one of the people on our board to have the procedure. i will let scott pick the person based on need. they will have to furnish air fare as i am not rich.

Karen K on 6/04/00 at 08:33 (021278)

I will say the OssaTron was definately successfull helping my condition a great deal. Before treatment my heels were so painful I walked on my toes 24/7. Now, I do light housework and prepare meals with slight discomfort. I can make it through the supermarket with moderate discomfort and that's while walking with a normal gait. I'm looking forward to another treatment and I expect it will improve my condition further.

Scott R for Nicole and Helen on 6/04/00 at 10:18 (021285)

In case Nicole and Helen aren't able to post, I wanted to post what they last wrote (which was at the real 12 week period):
======================
Nicole:
===========
I have had significantly more pain this week, actually. I believe that I have gained a few pounds (won't know for sure until I see the doctor next week), and this may be contributing to the pain. Wow! All that pain for a few pounds and I'll probably gain more before I give birth. As soon as I'm able to sit at the computer for a more tolerable period of time, I'm going to investigate ART on this board, since it appears to be a very safe form of treatment.
So how is everyone else from the Toronto trip doing? I'd love to hear some happy stories!
Good luck to all,
nicole.
==============
Helen:
=============
I continue to have a lot of pain, certainly am in a flare up, whereas I was not before Ossatron.
(earlier she had written that she was worse after the OssaTron.
===============

GinaC on 5/31/00 at 20:18 (021138)

I am about 50% better than before treatment. Overall, I am on my feet more and my pain is less severe, but unfortunately if I 'overdo' I still experience a flare-up; therefore, I still have to be careful about planning a day's activities and still find myself icing at night. Walking around the block and mowing the grass have been my most challenging activities; I could not spend most of the day on my feet. Yes, I probably would pay for treatment, as this is the only thing I have tried (including night splints, casting, acupuncture, iontonphoresis, NSAID's, stretching, chiropractic, ultrasound, Feldenkrais body work, orthotics,you-name-it,etc.over a 3-year period) that has helped and I am very hesitant about surgery. I am considering retreatment at some point, either with Ossatron or Orbasone . I am pleased that my untreated right foot, with milder PF, does not bother me at present, probably as a result of putting more weight on the treated foot. All in all, I am glad that I had Ossatron done; it has improved the quality of my life.

MattL on 6/01/00 at 08:11 (021152)

Overall, my feelings are similiar to Scott and Gina. Clearly, I benefited from the treatment. The area that was treated is at least 50% better. However, it is subject to flare ups if I try too much- i.e. golf, mowing yard, or wearing hard dress shoes. Other areas that were not treated hurt at times. I guess that is to be expected as eswt treats symptoms not the underlying cause.

Although eswt was not a complete miracle cure for me I do not regret getting the treatment. I have dealt with pf for several years and it is the only non-invasive treatment that has given me any substantial benefit. I also do not believe there is any downside to eswt short of negligence by the operator of the equipment.

john h on 6/02/00 at 20:00 (021214)

scott: just what are you able to do now? Walk a mile or two or three a day? stay on your feet all day? on average what is your daily pain leve between 1-10? i will definitely go the orbasone route sometimes this summer. As a 4 year pf sufferer there does not seem like much to lose except the money. a number of you have tried the ossatron so i will step up with dr z or weil if they will accept me and give it a go in late june or july if they can schedule me at that time. philly or chicago is a long way from little rock but as the saying goes i will take the road less traveled. anyone one of you in chicago or philly who can provide moral support i can use it.

Scott R on 6/02/00 at 20:23 (021215)

I still can't walk 1/2 mile everyday in addition to my regualr house and work distances, which aren't that great (desk job - but i walk around a fair amount). This is more from lack of use for 4 years than from anything else, though. But I can bicycle to my heart's content, though.

Trish on 6/03/00 at 01:16 (021232)

For the last several months, John H., I've been trying to figure out if you are the same John who had surgery several months ago, and had a picture of your foot on the website post-surgery? Are you the same John? In any case, good luck in your battle with PF!!!

john h on 6/03/00 at 10:57 (021241)

trish that is me girl. surgery was august of last year on one foot.. had a PF release which was only a 15-20% release and a tarsal tunnel release. i think the tarsal tunnel was a waste of time. the foot is no better or worse. after much thought i think if you only release 15% of the fascia using the baxter procedure you have not released enough to do any good. the band of fascia that runs from my great toe to heel is the same on both feet (tight). unless that band gets some relief and this is where your problem resides i do not think you will achieve relief. my plan is to go for the orbasone by the end of july and treat the area of pain which is where the band of fascia from great toe joins the heel.. If after 9 months i am at least 90% improved i intend to pay for one of the people on our board to have the procedure. i will let scott pick the person based on need. they will have to furnish air fare as i am not rich.

Karen K on 6/04/00 at 08:33 (021278)

I will say the OssaTron was definately successfull helping my condition a great deal. Before treatment my heels were so painful I walked on my toes 24/7. Now, I do light housework and prepare meals with slight discomfort. I can make it through the supermarket with moderate discomfort and that's while walking with a normal gait. I'm looking forward to another treatment and I expect it will improve my condition further.

Scott R for Nicole and Helen on 6/04/00 at 10:18 (021285)

In case Nicole and Helen aren't able to post, I wanted to post what they last wrote (which was at the real 12 week period):
======================
Nicole:
===========
I have had significantly more pain this week, actually. I believe that I have gained a few pounds (won't know for sure until I see the doctor next week), and this may be contributing to the pain. Wow! All that pain for a few pounds and I'll probably gain more before I give birth. As soon as I'm able to sit at the computer for a more tolerable period of time, I'm going to investigate ART on this board, since it appears to be a very safe form of treatment.
So how is everyone else from the Toronto trip doing? I'd love to hear some happy stories!
Good luck to all,
nicole.
==============
Helen:
=============
I continue to have a lot of pain, certainly am in a flare up, whereas I was not before Ossatron.
(earlier she had written that she was worse after the OssaTron.
===============