Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

It's Gettin Better All the Tiiiime!

Posted by Sweetfeet on 6/01/00 at 08:53 (021158)

My foot does not hurt at all. Here is what I do on a consistent basis: Lots of massage, non-impact aerobic exercise (no more running), foot exercise with my PFTs and NO MORE dropping my heels off of steps. When I can walk without pain, it truly thrills me. I think the number one item off the list is the massage. Now, I know I still have PF, but the times are getting longer between the pain. Even a couple of weeks, it was predictable by the end of the day I would be in pain. This is no longer a given. Besides, even if it creeps in because of how much I have done during the day, I have the solution. I sit down and massage. It really works. I get rid of the pain. It used to be I would sit down and get really depressed. I would say why me? My life is over--no more running, dancing, jazzercise. All the things that I loved. Well, now I sit down and massage. Interesting isn't it? I will re channel that negative energy to help me in a positive way. Okay, sometimes it's not easy to push hard on the foot to break up the 'tightness', but is it worth it? You better believe it. I don't like pain...

Re: It's Gettin Better All the Tiiiime!

Oski on 6/01/00 at 10:50 (021162)

SweetFeet: So glad to hear you're doing better! I'm an avid Jazzerciser as well and haven't been able to go for the last 6 months. Are you able to do Jazzercise now?

Sweetfeet on 6/01/00 at 13:49 (021174)

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I am starting to take longer walks at this point and maybe a bit of dancing on Friday night. I am not sure high impact exercise is for me. I do elliptical and stairclimber machines for my cardio workout, along with Spinning. The way I see, the days of SLAMMING my bones for a workout are over.

ChrisO on 6/01/00 at 14:17 (021175)

Hi Sweetfeet- I really like your take on that SLAMMING stuff. Although, as you probably know, to actually give up running, or to dismiss it even for a PF-free future, is VERY difficult. I guess it's that macho-athlete-push harder-make a challenge attitude we have. If we hadn't had it to begin with, I suspect many of us wouldn't be in this PF boat! I, for one, gotta get over the notion that running is me. Funny how PF forces us to change our self-perception. What's 'spinning'?

Sweetfeet on 6/02/00 at 09:34 (021203)

Are you kidding??! Running is me too. I actually fantasize about 'doing it' again. I used to get so high from running. I would actually do a tour of Washington, D.C. during my runs. It was an incredible sense of freedome. I really miss it. It used to define me. People would say 'running today' etc. Now, spinning is very cool. It will kick your a... A lot of runners use it for cardio-cross training. You have to try it. This may become my new cardio addiction. It is a blast. I have been spinning for about 3 mos. now and find it very rewarding. Try and tell me if you like it. Btw, a good teacher makes a big difference.

ChrisO on 6/02/00 at 09:46 (021204)

Hey SF - I totally understand your inference to DC - my husband and I had always used running to 'tour' whatever new place we were in. Once along the Mississippi in St. Louis, once through the wilds of an Alaskan forest....but hey, I'm hoping for a new mountain bike for my birthday and that'll be the next 'tour' vehicle! My 12-speed just wasn't meant for the more rugged stuff - and it's WAY old!
The funny thing about one's identity being wrapped up in running - where I went wrong was in allowing pretty much nothing else to be a substitute for a very long time. I allowed myself to become quite a victim of PF. Boy was I good at it! Now I've been using a recumbant bike for awhile but it tends to stretch the plantar on each revolution - tell me again, what's spinning?

Sweetfeet on 6/02/00 at 13:39 (021208)

Okay, spinning is a group of people sitting on stationary 'spin' bikes. The group is conducted by the spinmaster so to speak. She choreographs a routine on a bike to music. You set the tension and climb hills, etc. You are supposed to imagine that you are really biking outside. It is trying to replicate that feeling of being on roads, hills...It is a lot of fun because it's group energy. Anyone can do it as you set your own pace. You can have world class athletes next to novices. Also, it is a low impact exercise that really gets the heart rate up. This is by far the best exercise I have found close to running. I like what you said about making yourself a good victim of PF. I kept running and running even when I was in pain. Funny thing is the pain became more intense after I STOPPED running. Go figure...

Rock Cogar on 6/06/00 at 14:54 (021439)

'Funny thing is the pain became more intense after I STOPPED running. Go figure... '

It seems to me that tissues like the PF and achilles tendon do not heal well with total rest because their blood supply is so very limited. The trick is to do enough to stimulate enhanced blood flow without further tearing the attachment of the PF to the heel. My experience is that road biking or stationary biking is most friendly to my PF. Swiming is quite good, but running is bad if I run (rather than walk) up hills. I have done 50 mile training runs where I walk up every hill that resulted in no flare up of PF. By constrast a single uphill run can set me back for weeks.

Rock.
Ultrarunner/Triathlete.

Sweetfeet on 6/13/00 at 09:46 (021749)

Thanks for the response. Actually, I NEVER stopped cardio workouts. I need, my mind needs, my body needs to keep working out. I could never go cold turkey from my workouts. I started with elliptical machines, stairmaster, etc. I guess this didn't get the blood flowing down there. However, I think your situation is unique and will keep it in mind. When I went dancing the other night (thinking I was okay), my foot felt fine. The next day I could not walk...

Oski on 6/01/00 at 10:50 (021162)

SweetFeet: So glad to hear you're doing better! I'm an avid Jazzerciser as well and haven't been able to go for the last 6 months. Are you able to do Jazzercise now?

Sweetfeet on 6/01/00 at 13:49 (021174)

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I am starting to take longer walks at this point and maybe a bit of dancing on Friday night. I am not sure high impact exercise is for me. I do elliptical and stairclimber machines for my cardio workout, along with Spinning. The way I see, the days of SLAMMING my bones for a workout are over.

ChrisO on 6/01/00 at 14:17 (021175)

Hi Sweetfeet- I really like your take on that SLAMMING stuff. Although, as you probably know, to actually give up running, or to dismiss it even for a PF-free future, is VERY difficult. I guess it's that macho-athlete-push harder-make a challenge attitude we have. If we hadn't had it to begin with, I suspect many of us wouldn't be in this PF boat! I, for one, gotta get over the notion that running is me. Funny how PF forces us to change our self-perception. What's 'spinning'?

Sweetfeet on 6/02/00 at 09:34 (021203)

Are you kidding??! Running is me too. I actually fantasize about 'doing it' again. I used to get so high from running. I would actually do a tour of Washington, D.C. during my runs. It was an incredible sense of freedome. I really miss it. It used to define me. People would say 'running today' etc. Now, spinning is very cool. It will kick your a... A lot of runners use it for cardio-cross training. You have to try it. This may become my new cardio addiction. It is a blast. I have been spinning for about 3 mos. now and find it very rewarding. Try and tell me if you like it. Btw, a good teacher makes a big difference.

ChrisO on 6/02/00 at 09:46 (021204)

Hey SF - I totally understand your inference to DC - my husband and I had always used running to 'tour' whatever new place we were in. Once along the Mississippi in St. Louis, once through the wilds of an Alaskan forest....but hey, I'm hoping for a new mountain bike for my birthday and that'll be the next 'tour' vehicle! My 12-speed just wasn't meant for the more rugged stuff - and it's WAY old!
The funny thing about one's identity being wrapped up in running - where I went wrong was in allowing pretty much nothing else to be a substitute for a very long time. I allowed myself to become quite a victim of PF. Boy was I good at it! Now I've been using a recumbant bike for awhile but it tends to stretch the plantar on each revolution - tell me again, what's spinning?

Sweetfeet on 6/02/00 at 13:39 (021208)

Okay, spinning is a group of people sitting on stationary 'spin' bikes. The group is conducted by the spinmaster so to speak. She choreographs a routine on a bike to music. You set the tension and climb hills, etc. You are supposed to imagine that you are really biking outside. It is trying to replicate that feeling of being on roads, hills...It is a lot of fun because it's group energy. Anyone can do it as you set your own pace. You can have world class athletes next to novices. Also, it is a low impact exercise that really gets the heart rate up. This is by far the best exercise I have found close to running. I like what you said about making yourself a good victim of PF. I kept running and running even when I was in pain. Funny thing is the pain became more intense after I STOPPED running. Go figure...

Rock Cogar on 6/06/00 at 14:54 (021439)

'Funny thing is the pain became more intense after I STOPPED running. Go figure... '

It seems to me that tissues like the PF and achilles tendon do not heal well with total rest because their blood supply is so very limited. The trick is to do enough to stimulate enhanced blood flow without further tearing the attachment of the PF to the heel. My experience is that road biking or stationary biking is most friendly to my PF. Swiming is quite good, but running is bad if I run (rather than walk) up hills. I have done 50 mile training runs where I walk up every hill that resulted in no flare up of PF. By constrast a single uphill run can set me back for weeks.

Rock.
Ultrarunner/Triathlete.

Sweetfeet on 6/13/00 at 09:46 (021749)

Thanks for the response. Actually, I NEVER stopped cardio workouts. I need, my mind needs, my body needs to keep working out. I could never go cold turkey from my workouts. I started with elliptical machines, stairmaster, etc. I guess this didn't get the blood flowing down there. However, I think your situation is unique and will keep it in mind. When I went dancing the other night (thinking I was okay), my foot felt fine. The next day I could not walk...