Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chiro=CYA

Posted by ChrisO on 6/01/00 at 13:18 (021171)

Well folks, I've decided to cut my current Chiro loose - here's why and maybe ya'll can advise me a bit.

He's been doing the ART for about six weeks now. It has absolutely been effective with my heel pain reduced greatly. But I've been dealing with ever-increasing arch pain. The PT says my original, custom orthotics have to be altered so that's on the agenda but meanwhile my Chiro talked me into some generic ones called Alzners, I think. He wanted me to use them right from the start but I'd been reluctant to because they're designed to actually change the shape of a foot and that didn't seem right to me given that I came by my high arches naturally and I have no pain in back and legs. Well anyway I've been trying to use them for two or three weeks but frankly, they cause a bunch of pain. At least I think it's them! So I saw the Chiro yesterday and he wants me in them all the time. He says that at this point I must just 'push through' the pain. Ha! Does that seem right? It really doesn't to me. Honestly, they had me pretty much in tears yesterday afternoon so I took them out. Haven't we all pretty much agreed here that if something hurts, we should stop doing it? The idea of 'pushing through' the pain just doesn't seem right to me even if it's coming from the Chiro. I think I should lose him and his inserts - what do you guys think? The only problem being that it's pretty difficult to find a Chiro who does ART.

Re: Chiro=CYA

Pauline on 6/01/00 at 13:34 (021173)

My opinion for what it is worth! Pushing through pain has never gain me anything. I think this orthotic thing may work for some and for others may never work.

We are people, all individuals and thousands of us walk everyday without the use of a hard or soft plastic insert in our shoes.

It would be wonderful to think that the mere insertion of a man made
device would eliminate all foot pain and put the human body back into
some 'proper' position.

I say if you have them made and they work without causing you extreme
pain, if you want use them. I learned a long time ago not to break
anything in on my feet and they are the better for it and so am I.

If you decide not to use orthotics, like many of us you'll be just
fine.

PF is not a death sentence for our feet or our lives. You find what
works for you and go with it regardless of what others think and say. Your body is much smarter than you think, start giving it credit for knowing how it feels. Keep the Doc if you like him and
tell him to wear the orthotics.
Good Luck

Bob G. on 6/01/00 at 14:49 (021179)

Yep, if it hurts STOP, look, and listen (to your own natural instincts).

Can you just contract with him for ART? Yep, people are 'funny'.

Hope your foot is feeling better SOON! BG

Kim B. on 6/01/00 at 16:25 (021182)

Hi Chris,

Here is my 2 cents worth: Tell him you appreciate his opinion and suggestion, but the bottom line is that you have to do what you feel is best for you. Tell him that his ART threapy is helping alot and you would like to continue with it, but you have to let your feet decide which orthodics are helping, and which ones may actually be aggravating the situation.

Maybe your chiro is afraid that you are going to ask for a refund on the orthodics he sold you. (I don't buy anything that doesn't boast a money back gaurantee anymore.) Could that be why he is so determined to make these work for you? He may have to eat them if you don't keep them. If you want to keep him, you may have to keep the orthodics. Tell him that you can't promise that you will wear them everyday, but, that you want to keep them on hand for times that they are actually what feels the best.

BTW, I'm having a lot of success with massage/reflexology/rolfing/ART type treatments. As my feet have begun to improve, the pain has begun to migrate around a bit. On some days the arches hurt worse, sometimes it's the metatarsal joints, sometimes it's the ankles, and so on. When I overdo, the pain gets worse, but now I bounce back much faster, and the pain and fairups are not as bad or as frequent.

Maybe the changes in your pain are a sign that you truly are getting better. But listen to your feet. Stay the course. 'If it hurts worse, don't do it' is my rule of thumb. But be realistic, you're not out of the woods yet and some pain is going to occur until you are.

Nancy S. once posted that she was having some luck wearing no inserts at all, so I gave that a try. Ya know what? As my feet have begun to change, there are days that wearing nothing more than what came in the shoes is what is the most comfortable. PFers get so used to using inserts and orhodics that we forget to try going without them occassionally, just to see what the status is. So bear in mind that in my case, the answer to 'what inserts are best for me?' changes from day to day. You are wise to let your feet decide what feels best. Some days it may very well be the orthodics he prescirbed (if you keep them), some days it may be some others you have on hand, some days it may be none at all.

Regards,
Kim B.

ChrisO on 6/01/00 at 18:22 (021189)

Kim, as always your thoughts and ideas are sound and I really appreciate that. I especially like the reminder that, perhaps as the PF heals, soreness shows up elsewhere until it's all said and done. Thanks. I'm off those particular inserts now and will paraphrase your words when I go back to the Chiro next Monday.
My best to you.

Angie on 6/01/00 at 20:21 (021191)

Chris - Hi. I agree, STOP if it hurts! I in the beginning pushed through the pain- thinking the more I stretched the sooner I would get better. Boy did I think wrong! It put me months behind. Now if something causes pain I quit doing it and my pain is much less than it has been. I would say about 70% better than I was 2 months ago. Like I said I quit stretching and listened to my feet! Angie

john h on 6/02/00 at 19:42 (021211)

pushing through the pain sucks in my opinion. sounds like a prescription for more pain.

Re: Why does ART make pain migrate?

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 09:13 (021279)

Because massage has helped me at times with upper body aches more than any other thing besides upper body stretches, I have been getting a massage once a week. I've only been brave enough to have the massage therapist do a sports massage mixed with friction massage. Before my most recent foot disaster (see post from yesterday), my feet were doing better and I attributed that at least in part to massage/especially the friction part.

I am interested in ART and rolfing, but not very brave. Two months ago I tried reflexology and it gave me such horrible pain, I was set back by a couple of weeks. I would not try reflexology again. But as I read about ART success, I am curious about that. Why does it make the pain leave the heel and move to the arch? This would be significant for me, because my worst pain is often in my arch. Also, what does ART feel like?

I can say good things about friction massage. If I had the money, I'd do it several times a week. As it is, I have only been able to afford a general sports massage that includes some time for friction massage done to my feet once a week, most weeks. So far we have not gone deep with the friction, because my massage therapist is hesitant to do that.

Beverly

Pauline on 6/01/00 at 13:34 (021173)

My opinion for what it is worth! Pushing through pain has never gain me anything. I think this orthotic thing may work for some and for others may never work.

We are people, all individuals and thousands of us walk everyday without the use of a hard or soft plastic insert in our shoes.

It would be wonderful to think that the mere insertion of a man made
device would eliminate all foot pain and put the human body back into
some 'proper' position.

I say if you have them made and they work without causing you extreme
pain, if you want use them. I learned a long time ago not to break
anything in on my feet and they are the better for it and so am I.

If you decide not to use orthotics, like many of us you'll be just
fine.

PF is not a death sentence for our feet or our lives. You find what
works for you and go with it regardless of what others think and say. Your body is much smarter than you think, start giving it credit for knowing how it feels. Keep the Doc if you like him and
tell him to wear the orthotics.
Good Luck

Bob G. on 6/01/00 at 14:49 (021179)

Yep, if it hurts STOP, look, and listen (to your own natural instincts).

Can you just contract with him for ART? Yep, people are 'funny'.

Hope your foot is feeling better SOON! BG

Kim B. on 6/01/00 at 16:25 (021182)

Hi Chris,

Here is my 2 cents worth: Tell him you appreciate his opinion and suggestion, but the bottom line is that you have to do what you feel is best for you. Tell him that his ART threapy is helping alot and you would like to continue with it, but you have to let your feet decide which orthodics are helping, and which ones may actually be aggravating the situation.

Maybe your chiro is afraid that you are going to ask for a refund on the orthodics he sold you. (I don't buy anything that doesn't boast a money back gaurantee anymore.) Could that be why he is so determined to make these work for you? He may have to eat them if you don't keep them. If you want to keep him, you may have to keep the orthodics. Tell him that you can't promise that you will wear them everyday, but, that you want to keep them on hand for times that they are actually what feels the best.

BTW, I'm having a lot of success with massage/reflexology/rolfing/ART type treatments. As my feet have begun to improve, the pain has begun to migrate around a bit. On some days the arches hurt worse, sometimes it's the metatarsal joints, sometimes it's the ankles, and so on. When I overdo, the pain gets worse, but now I bounce back much faster, and the pain and fairups are not as bad or as frequent.

Maybe the changes in your pain are a sign that you truly are getting better. But listen to your feet. Stay the course. 'If it hurts worse, don't do it' is my rule of thumb. But be realistic, you're not out of the woods yet and some pain is going to occur until you are.

Nancy S. once posted that she was having some luck wearing no inserts at all, so I gave that a try. Ya know what? As my feet have begun to change, there are days that wearing nothing more than what came in the shoes is what is the most comfortable. PFers get so used to using inserts and orhodics that we forget to try going without them occassionally, just to see what the status is. So bear in mind that in my case, the answer to 'what inserts are best for me?' changes from day to day. You are wise to let your feet decide what feels best. Some days it may very well be the orthodics he prescirbed (if you keep them), some days it may be some others you have on hand, some days it may be none at all.

Regards,
Kim B.

ChrisO on 6/01/00 at 18:22 (021189)

Kim, as always your thoughts and ideas are sound and I really appreciate that. I especially like the reminder that, perhaps as the PF heals, soreness shows up elsewhere until it's all said and done. Thanks. I'm off those particular inserts now and will paraphrase your words when I go back to the Chiro next Monday.
My best to you.

Angie on 6/01/00 at 20:21 (021191)

Chris - Hi. I agree, STOP if it hurts! I in the beginning pushed through the pain- thinking the more I stretched the sooner I would get better. Boy did I think wrong! It put me months behind. Now if something causes pain I quit doing it and my pain is much less than it has been. I would say about 70% better than I was 2 months ago. Like I said I quit stretching and listened to my feet! Angie

john h on 6/02/00 at 19:42 (021211)

pushing through the pain sucks in my opinion. sounds like a prescription for more pain.

Re: Why does ART make pain migrate?

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 09:13 (021279)

Because massage has helped me at times with upper body aches more than any other thing besides upper body stretches, I have been getting a massage once a week. I've only been brave enough to have the massage therapist do a sports massage mixed with friction massage. Before my most recent foot disaster (see post from yesterday), my feet were doing better and I attributed that at least in part to massage/especially the friction part.

I am interested in ART and rolfing, but not very brave. Two months ago I tried reflexology and it gave me such horrible pain, I was set back by a couple of weeks. I would not try reflexology again. But as I read about ART success, I am curious about that. Why does it make the pain leave the heel and move to the arch? This would be significant for me, because my worst pain is often in my arch. Also, what does ART feel like?

I can say good things about friction massage. If I had the money, I'd do it several times a week. As it is, I have only been able to afford a general sports massage that includes some time for friction massage done to my feet once a week, most weeks. So far we have not gone deep with the friction, because my massage therapist is hesitant to do that.

Beverly