Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

glucosamine/chondroitin......has it helped anyone?

Posted by Nanafitz on 6/01/00 at 17:33 (021184)

Forgot to ask before.....has glucosamine with or without condroitin helped anyone with pf? If yes, how much is good to start with and how long before you noticed it helped? I'd like an extra 'boost' in addition to the routine of rest, ice, massage,etc. and don't like the idea of taking OTC anti-inflammatories on a regular basis. Would appreciate any info....patience is tough right now. Need to feel I'm doing everything possible. Thanks!

Re: glucosamine/chondroitin......has it helped anyone?

Robin B. on 6/01/00 at 18:10 (021188)

Don't know about the chondroitin part, but I took glucosamine sulfate (1500 mg per day) religiously for 7 months -- saw a little improvement, but not a tremendous one.

Consider bromelain. You can search the board for lots of responses about it and to learn more specifics about when to take it and possible dosages. I have been taking it for nearly a year and may well take it for the rest of my life. Love it. I don't consider myself afflicted in a major way from PF anymore, and my recovery is pretty well documented throughout the message board. It's an enzyme, it's natural, it has been wholly without side effects for me -- and it has definitely relieved the pain. I can't recommend it enough. At the very least, it is worth a try for 3 or 4 weeks to see if it has any impact -- it's a whole lot safer than NSAIDs and not nearly as expensive.

Angie on 6/01/00 at 20:25 (021192)

I agree with Robin. I seen Robin's suggestion a couple of weeks ago about Bromelain. I was originally taking Glucosamine for 2 months and seen no sign of significant improvement. I have been on Bromelain for 2 weeks or so along with the birk shoes. Feet do feel better. I don't know if it is a combination of the two or not. At this point I am just staying with what is working. Angie

Bea K on 6/01/00 at 22:56 (021197)

I took glucoamine/Chondotin for over a year and no improvement. I now take Bromelain and it does help and when I ran out for a few days I noticed quite a difference.

Re: Natural Fish Oil With Omega-3

Bob G. on 6/02/00 at 00:35 (021198)

Can anybody report on fish oil with omega-3?

Last week I went back to jogging on the beach (easy jogs just trying to get back in shape) and over-exerted myself. No PF pain, fortunately, but BOTH knees are giving me moderate pain. So I rested for a week and went back for a brisk walk on the beach this morning. Both knees are sore and I must rest again and figure this out.

I called my Dad, age 79, and mentioned my knee problem. He told me he has had no knee problems for almost two years since his doctor told him to take fish oil with omega-3, which he does 3 times a day. So I just got a large bottle of the stuff.

Ohhhh, if it's not one thing it's another! Here I sit icing my left foot and BOTH knees!

Good to hear the positive reports on Bromelain.

Kim B. on 6/03/00 at 08:38 (021238)

Bob, here is what my 'Prescription for Nutritional Healing' book says:

Fish Oil

Fish oil is a good source of omega-3 essential fatty acids. Salmon, macerel, menhaden, herring and sardines are good sources of fish oil because the have a higher fat content and provide more omega-3 factors than other fishes. For instance, 4 ounces of salmon contains up to 3,600 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids, while 4 ounces of cod (a low fat fish) contains only 300 milligrams.

Carlson Laboratories markets a good Norwegian salmon oil that we recommend. Cod liver oil from Norway is the most commonly used fish oil, and is more mild tasting than other varieties. Author Dale Alexander claims it is excellent for arthritis. He has marketed an oil containing 13,8000 international units of vitamine A and 1,380 international units of vitamin D per tablespoon. However, we do not recommend that you rely on cod liver oil as a source of the essential fatty acids. Yiu wold have to overdose on vitamins A and D to obtain the amount of fatty acits you need.

People with diabetes should not take fish oil supplements because of the high fat content. But htey should consume fish for its essential fatty acids.

Kim B.

Re: Thanks, Kim! eom

Bob G. on 6/03/00 at 14:24 (021246)

Thanks for the heads up! BG

Robin B. on 6/01/00 at 18:10 (021188)

Don't know about the chondroitin part, but I took glucosamine sulfate (1500 mg per day) religiously for 7 months -- saw a little improvement, but not a tremendous one.

Consider bromelain. You can search the board for lots of responses about it and to learn more specifics about when to take it and possible dosages. I have been taking it for nearly a year and may well take it for the rest of my life. Love it. I don't consider myself afflicted in a major way from PF anymore, and my recovery is pretty well documented throughout the message board. It's an enzyme, it's natural, it has been wholly without side effects for me -- and it has definitely relieved the pain. I can't recommend it enough. At the very least, it is worth a try for 3 or 4 weeks to see if it has any impact -- it's a whole lot safer than NSAIDs and not nearly as expensive.

Angie on 6/01/00 at 20:25 (021192)

I agree with Robin. I seen Robin's suggestion a couple of weeks ago about Bromelain. I was originally taking Glucosamine for 2 months and seen no sign of significant improvement. I have been on Bromelain for 2 weeks or so along with the birk shoes. Feet do feel better. I don't know if it is a combination of the two or not. At this point I am just staying with what is working. Angie

Bea K on 6/01/00 at 22:56 (021197)

I took glucoamine/Chondotin for over a year and no improvement. I now take Bromelain and it does help and when I ran out for a few days I noticed quite a difference.

Bob G. on 6/02/00 at 00:35 (021198)

Can anybody report on fish oil with omega-3?

Last week I went back to jogging on the beach (easy jogs just trying to get back in shape) and over-exerted myself. No PF pain, fortunately, but BOTH knees are giving me moderate pain. So I rested for a week and went back for a brisk walk on the beach this morning. Both knees are sore and I must rest again and figure this out.

I called my Dad, age 79, and mentioned my knee problem. He told me he has had no knee problems for almost two years since his doctor told him to take fish oil with omega-3, which he does 3 times a day. So I just got a large bottle of the stuff.

Ohhhh, if it's not one thing it's another! Here I sit icing my left foot and BOTH knees!

Good to hear the positive reports on Bromelain.

Kim B. on 6/03/00 at 08:38 (021238)

Bob, here is what my 'Prescription for Nutritional Healing' book says:

Fish Oil

Fish oil is a good source of omega-3 essential fatty acids. Salmon, macerel, menhaden, herring and sardines are good sources of fish oil because the have a higher fat content and provide more omega-3 factors than other fishes. For instance, 4 ounces of salmon contains up to 3,600 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids, while 4 ounces of cod (a low fat fish) contains only 300 milligrams.

Carlson Laboratories markets a good Norwegian salmon oil that we recommend. Cod liver oil from Norway is the most commonly used fish oil, and is more mild tasting than other varieties. Author Dale Alexander claims it is excellent for arthritis. He has marketed an oil containing 13,8000 international units of vitamine A and 1,380 international units of vitamin D per tablespoon. However, we do not recommend that you rely on cod liver oil as a source of the essential fatty acids. Yiu wold have to overdose on vitamins A and D to obtain the amount of fatty acits you need.

People with diabetes should not take fish oil supplements because of the high fat content. But htey should consume fish for its essential fatty acids.

Kim B.

Re: Thanks, Kim! eom

Bob G. on 6/03/00 at 14:24 (021246)

Thanks for the heads up! BG