Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One week post op - EPF

Posted by Diane on 6/02/00 at 20:56 (021219)

Well everyone, I am doing very good! Had my first post-op visit today and doc said everything looks good. Didn't get my stitches out though, but will in a week. All the dressing was removed and I now have an ace bandage on both feet. I am in tennis shoes, 1 1/2 sizes bigger than I usually wear, but doc said I will get into my old shoes in time. He said take it easy, when my feet get tired, rest them and use ice as it helps. I am very pleased with my progress. I can actually walk with my heels first instead of the balls of my feet! Only the incisions are sore, but my feet do get tired when standing for long periods. Doc said that is normal and that all the tendons, nerves etc are still healing deep within. Just thought I would give you all an update and write something positive for those thinking of having epf. Oh yea, I don't regret having both feet done at the same time. I was only off work for 3 days, but I must admit while at work I put my feet up on my desk with ice and a pillow and my keyboard is on my lap!! Not very ergonomicly (sp) correct but it sure helps! Good luck to everyone and I will update you with my progress.

Re: One week post op - EPF

Kim B. on 6/02/00 at 21:04 (021220)

Hi Diane, Glad you're on the mend. Yes, it will take time for the incisions to heal. I had a abdominal hysterectomy last July and my belly incision is still a little numb in a few places and still hurts when I overdo the bending (almost a year later!). It takes a long time for all those nerves and etc. to rebuild, regrow, fuse off, whatever it is that they do.

Take advantage of any household and co-worker sympathy while you can, it goes away a lot faster than the pain! :-) Regards, Kim B.

ChrisO on 6/02/00 at 21:28 (021225)

Diane that's excellent news about your post-op status. Thanks so much for keeping us informed - it makes a difference!

john h on 6/03/00 at 10:46 (021239)

diane you are a tougher dude than i getting both feet feet done and i am a war hero. i hereby award you the order of the Iron Foot.

Suzi D on 6/03/00 at 11:08 (021243)

I agree with the others...you are very brave getting both feet fixed at the same time. I broke out in a sweat just reading your message. Good luck with your recovery, and I'll be interested in your results. Thanks for sharing.

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:14 (021267)

Kim, I know what you mean, I had a hysterectomy two years ago. It does take time and you must give your body time to heal. I think alot of people don't let their bodies rest. I have learned to do that in order to get back to normal faster.

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:15 (021268)

Thanks John, I will try to give a weekly update until all mended!

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:17 (021269)

John,

That just cracked me up!!! Thanks for the award!

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:21 (021270)

Chris,

Sorry I sent your reply to John! I got mixed up in the 'thread'!

Kim B. on 6/02/00 at 21:04 (021220)

Hi Diane, Glad you're on the mend. Yes, it will take time for the incisions to heal. I had a abdominal hysterectomy last July and my belly incision is still a little numb in a few places and still hurts when I overdo the bending (almost a year later!). It takes a long time for all those nerves and etc. to rebuild, regrow, fuse off, whatever it is that they do.

Take advantage of any household and co-worker sympathy while you can, it goes away a lot faster than the pain! :-) Regards, Kim B.

ChrisO on 6/02/00 at 21:28 (021225)

Diane that's excellent news about your post-op status. Thanks so much for keeping us informed - it makes a difference!

john h on 6/03/00 at 10:46 (021239)

diane you are a tougher dude than i getting both feet feet done and i am a war hero. i hereby award you the order of the Iron Foot.

Suzi D on 6/03/00 at 11:08 (021243)

I agree with the others...you are very brave getting both feet fixed at the same time. I broke out in a sweat just reading your message. Good luck with your recovery, and I'll be interested in your results. Thanks for sharing.

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:14 (021267)

Kim, I know what you mean, I had a hysterectomy two years ago. It does take time and you must give your body time to heal. I think alot of people don't let their bodies rest. I have learned to do that in order to get back to normal faster.

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:15 (021268)

Thanks John, I will try to give a weekly update until all mended!

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:17 (021269)

John,

That just cracked me up!!! Thanks for the award!

Diane on 6/03/00 at 22:21 (021270)

Chris,

Sorry I sent your reply to John! I got mixed up in the 'thread'!