Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NSAIDS and Healing

Posted by BarbaraS on 6/03/00 at 16:08 (021249)

I'm wondering if NSAIDS do indeed speed healing of pf or whether they simply mask symptoms. I have the feeling that the inflammation is there for a reason and its best not to mess with it, but I want to heal most effectively. I can stand going without if NSAIDS aren't going to speed my healing. Thanks so much! B.

Re: NSAIDS and Healing

john h on 6/03/00 at 19:03 (021258)

since doctors prescribe NASIDS for many problems i suspect they do more than mask the symptoms. Reducing inflamation returns athletes and many other people to their activity much quicker than letting nature take its course. and of course NASIDS allow arthritis sufferers to function day to day.

Robin B. on 6/04/00 at 05:15 (021274)

NSAIDs definitely CAN work to help healing, but often they don't help because many people don't use them for that purpose.

NSAIDs reduce inflammation so the affected tissue, if treated properly, can begin to heal. However, this board is filled with examples of people who have used NSAIDs and/or pain relief meds to primarily reduce the pain and inflammation enough that they can go out and pretend they don't have PF--injuring and re-injuring the affected tissue again and again. If you are going to use NSAIDs in a prescribed program of recovery, I would suggest you also use serious rest, perhaps icing and massage, or other methods your doc recommends or that you find here. People who use NSAIDs so they can go out and hike trails or climb mountains usually end up back here in more pain than they had originally.

Inflammation is indeed a symptom, and it IS something you want to 'mess with' -- you want to get rid of it. It's real hard to recover from any kind of tissue injury unless you can reduce the inflammation. But NSAIDs, like any medication, must be used as part of a whole program -- not as a quick fix so you can go out and job again. If you want a more natural aid for inflammation reduction, you might try bromelain. You can search the message board and come up with a ton of information. That's what I have been using for nearly a year and it helps me tremendously. But -- I have used it as part of a healing program that includes rest, proper shoes, exercise and diet.

BarbaraS on 6/04/00 at 11:51 (021298)

Can't thank you enough. I'm completely disabled (unable to walk for two weeks) and I need all the help I can get. Since I'm nursing a baby, maybe Bromelain will help me here. THANKS.

john h on 6/03/00 at 19:03 (021258)

since doctors prescribe NASIDS for many problems i suspect they do more than mask the symptoms. Reducing inflamation returns athletes and many other people to their activity much quicker than letting nature take its course. and of course NASIDS allow arthritis sufferers to function day to day.

Robin B. on 6/04/00 at 05:15 (021274)

NSAIDs definitely CAN work to help healing, but often they don't help because many people don't use them for that purpose.

NSAIDs reduce inflammation so the affected tissue, if treated properly, can begin to heal. However, this board is filled with examples of people who have used NSAIDs and/or pain relief meds to primarily reduce the pain and inflammation enough that they can go out and pretend they don't have PF--injuring and re-injuring the affected tissue again and again. If you are going to use NSAIDs in a prescribed program of recovery, I would suggest you also use serious rest, perhaps icing and massage, or other methods your doc recommends or that you find here. People who use NSAIDs so they can go out and hike trails or climb mountains usually end up back here in more pain than they had originally.

Inflammation is indeed a symptom, and it IS something you want to 'mess with' -- you want to get rid of it. It's real hard to recover from any kind of tissue injury unless you can reduce the inflammation. But NSAIDs, like any medication, must be used as part of a whole program -- not as a quick fix so you can go out and job again. If you want a more natural aid for inflammation reduction, you might try bromelain. You can search the message board and come up with a ton of information. That's what I have been using for nearly a year and it helps me tremendously. But -- I have used it as part of a healing program that includes rest, proper shoes, exercise and diet.

BarbaraS on 6/04/00 at 11:51 (021298)

Can't thank you enough. I'm completely disabled (unable to walk for two weeks) and I need all the help I can get. Since I'm nursing a baby, maybe Bromelain will help me here. THANKS.