Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Trip Ruined/It tore/Came Home on Crutches

Posted by Beverly on 6/03/00 at 23:03 (021271)

I drove home to Ft. Worth - an 8 hour drive from my coastal locale.
It thought I was doing ok. I did get out to walk around and stretch my feet every couple of hours, but I was only in mild pain.

The next morning about an hour after getting up, I heard something go 'pop/crunch' in the bottom of my foot in my arch. I didn't think much about it. Except I did think it was weird since it wasn't in a joint. About an hour later, my foot started hurting. Mind you, this was my left foot... my 'only slightly wounded' foot. Within a few hours it really hurt. I called the doctor just for safety since I knew I was about to get on an airplane for the mountains. I was shocked, heartbroken, and very dissapointed when via the nurse I was told that I had most likely torn it, and to 'get off your foot pronto and onto crutches or in a wheelchair for one week.' I asked about my trip. The nurse said, 'no way.'

She went on to say that if I stayed off it real well, then hopefully I'd avoid getting put in a camwalker. By the next day my foot was in agony, and I saw the doctor was right. I got on crutches. That didn't work too well since my right foot is the original injury and I was now putting all my weight on that foot to spare the left/torn foot.

I found a friend to drive me home. I was given a small wheel chair/doorway friendly to get around the house in. I'm trying to stay off my feet. I just got home today.

So here I am... worse than ever. Poor Daddy/no trip for him either. We're hoping to do it again in the fall.

The walkable cast doesn't sound that bad to me... much better than a wheelchair or crutches. The crutches are also a killer on my old shoulder injury. The bad thing is having this in both feet. Before I had a bad case in the right foot, but just a mild case in the left foot. Now it is really bad in both feet.

I'm hoping that a week of rest will take me back to about where I was before... in some pain but able to get around on my feet as long as I didn't have far to walk or stand. I guess it was dumb to try to go on the trip, but I thought I was somewhat better.

The only thing else that was different was that I had gotten a friction massage this past week, but it made me feel good at the time; so I doubt that caused it.

Beverly

Re: Trip Ruined/It tore/Came Home on Crutches

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 00:23 (021272)

Oh No Beverly! Saw your subject line and my heart dropped......you were pretty ready for that trip with your Dad! Have you seen the doctor? Is he going to do an MRI? I'm a little curious as to how it's a nurse who's advising you over the phone - is she/he a screening-type nurse? Maybe that foot just got too stiff during that long drive home.
I'll make a deal with you - 'cept everyone here has to agree....let's all work HARD at getting mended by the fall and then we can ALL go to the mountains with Beverly and her Pop!
But seriously my friend, do stay off those feet - especially given the probability that a tear took place. Getting that wheelchair was a very smart move - and those mountains will still be there (unless they're on the West Coast - you never know about that!)

Bob G. on 6/04/00 at 00:30 (021273)

Sorry Beverly, what a shame!

Best you stay off those feet for awhile! Too much too soon.

It really pays to rest them - completely.

Best of luck, and hope for progress soon.

Nancy S. on 6/04/00 at 07:06 (021276)

Beverly, I'm SO sorry about what happened to you! What a disappointment, especially when your vacation sounded like a good type for PF -- it's not as if you were planning to ignore your feet and go wild and crazy. Life is not fair (duh).
You will see the doctor and find out exactly what happened, yes? Clearly having more than a mild case in both feet is going to mean a new definition of rest -- of the most serious kind.
Have you been able to think of anything that would cause a tear in your mild foot? Do you think it was getting stressed from trying to avoid pressure on the other foot? I have worried about this myself, because my 'good' foot at times has gotten pretty achy from taking more pressure than the bad one. Most days I have very little limp anymore, so I worry about that less -- but still worry about it some.
But I feel so bad for you -- like Chris, my heart sank when I saw your subject line.
I hope you will see the doctor and maybe get some specific guidelines about how to take care of both feet now. Hang in there -- I'm sure you will make progress, and it just may require more patience now. It seems this PF requires a lot from us, and patience may be the biggest challenge of all. Best of luck to you and I hope your mending gets on a good track and you feel progress again soon.
--Nancy

Kim B. on 6/04/00 at 09:50 (021281)

Beverly,

I am so sorry to hear about your ruined trip. Lord bless your heart and miserable feet! I'm leaving in two days to go back home to Memphis to see family and friends. I should be ok, but I'll be extra careful not to let my gaurd down where my feet are concerned. I am flying Dallas to Memphis. I hate flying (stressful for me), and airports are so vast and hard on the feet. (My FM makes long drives almost unbearable 'cause I get so stiff and such.) I'll be on my own with a 4 year old, so that means chasing him around and extra trips to the bathrooms, etc. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

Anyway you get the jest of my situation. I am wondering a few things about your injury. What is 'it' that tore? (your plantar fascia?) What caused it to tear? (stepping out of the car?) Or was it basically inevitable no matter where you would have been and what you would have been doing? Most importantly, what shoes where you wearing?

Regards and mend soon!
Kim B.

Re: What might have led to my disater/Thanks

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 10:02 (021282)

Dear Nancy and all who have posted to me,

Thank you for all your kind and speedy letters.

To answer questions, the nurse relayed this information to me (about the suspected tear to my left foot) after going to the doctor. I described what happened... the popping/crunching sound/it's location/and pain. She put me on hold and spoke to the doctor, and then came back to report that I had more than likely torn it, and to get off it for one week/on crutches or in a wheelchair. No, the doctor does not want to see me now. Very frustrating. He wants me to have a week of total inactivity and then see him to see if the rest will keep me from having to be in a walkable cast. He has yet to suggest x-rays or an MRI. I have good insurance. I really want to see him for peace of mind... to know what I did. It seems only fair since I was told to cancel my vacation.

As to what led up to it, I'm not sure, but I have a hunch. I think the eight hour drive was hard on me. I got out to walk around every couple of hours at truck stops. I walked around a good bit. That was much more walking than I normally do with PF. Also, about five or ten minutes before the popping sound in my arch, I had been using my trusty massage ball (hard kind with nodules). I know I was going deeper than usual. Also, I usually run the ball mostly over my heel and ball of my foot. This time, I was going to town on the arch too. Perhaps, that caused it. But it is confusing, because that massage ball has been a real lifesafer at other times. Perhaps, going over the arch was a mistake.

I've given up on crutches. By this morning, I realized that after only trying them for three days, my right foot (the original injury) is killing me even though the left foot (the one the doctor suspects I tore) is marginally better from being off it. All I have done is to make my right foot worse while trying to tend to the left foot. And the crutches were awful on my shoulder (older injury/now mostly healed/don't want to add it to my problems.)

So, I am giving this wheelchair a try, but I lack patience with it. Sometimes it is just easier to walk to the kitchen. But I am planning to stay in the house all week, and try to go nowhere. Today, my exhusband/current partner/friend (I'd call him a boyfriend but we're past the age for that title) is running errands for me with me sitting in the truck or on an electric cart in stores. Then, my plan is to stay in the house for one solid week and not go anywhere... doing this rest cure... using the wheelchair as much as my sanity will allow.

What makes this hard is that I live alone, and sweetie pie lives hours away from me. He is the friend who drove me home. We see each other about two weeks out of every six weeks. (He's older/semi-retired.) Since my PF, all the traveling has been on his part. One of the reasons I drove to Dallas to catch the plane was to spend time with him
on his 'turf' since I thought I was a little better.

Like many guys, he has a 'tough out the pain' approach to life. It is very hard for him to understand why I can't 'tough it out' on my feet like he does with his knees. It may just be that we have different mindsets. I wish he could understand more, but he did drive me home, and is staying a few days. Caretaking is not his gift, but he is doing sweet things like running lots of errands for me. Somehow, he's happy to go to Walmart, the bank, post office, ect, but he's not so great at thinking to get me a glass of water. When I tried crutches I walked across the room holding a papercup of water in my teeth. Later I said, 'Did it occur to you to help?' He apologized but said that's how he carried his water some years back when he had knee surgery and gave me a 'be independent lecture.' Yet, he is amazingly supportive with 'guy things', like fixing stuff or helping with the yard. He is very spoiled from years of me always waiting on him. (A southern belle who is used to bringing her man coffee in bed every morning and breakfast on a tray.) So this is quite a switch. And yes, this is our third time around, but at least this time, I'm smart enough not to go get married or live together. We love each other dearly but drive each other nuts if we're around each other nonstop.

Beverly

Re: To answer Kim's questions

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 10:15 (021284)

Dear Kim,

I feel for you, because I too have dealt with more than just PF, but that's another story. (Hey, I'm from Dallas/Ft. Worth. I live on the Texas coast, and I was driving home to Ft.Worth when this recent setback happened.)

Anyway, if you will read the reply post I just made it will answer most of your questions. As to what shoes I was in, I was in my very best running shoes/the ones the doctor likes/with my custom orthodics.

If I had it to do all over again, this is what I would have done. I would have made the trip home to Dallas another trip and done that by plane. I would have focused only on this trip to the mountains with Daddy. I would have taken a plane directly to New Mexico. I would have used the wheelchair assistance in the airport. I would have then taken the shuttle bus to the resort and not rented a car to drive through the mountains myself (but of course I never even got that far.)
Dad and I want to try this again in September. If I'm up for it at all, I'll go 'wheelchair' all the way through airports and forget about making a long drive 8 hour drive home to Ft. Worth in route to the mountains. If I did have to drive, I'd cut the drive in half and spend the night in a motel. Next time I decide to go home for a visit to Ft. Worth, I am going to fly! I have found that it is extended walking or standing in long lines that messes me up everytime.

I hope your trip goes better than mine did. I have a good friend with FM; so I know that this makes PF extra hard for you. My prayers are with you on your trip.
Beverly

Re: To Beverly

wendyn on 6/04/00 at 10:20 (021286)

Wow Beverly - I don't know what to say. What an awful experience.

Permit me though - to STRONGLY suggest that you see a doctor (a different one) NOW. A diagnosis over the phone is absolutely unacceptable. Especially since you told the nurse who told the doctor who answered the nurse who relayed this to you.

When I was a teenager my GP put me on medicine for pimples (some type of antibiotic). A few weeks later I came down with a throat infection, so he prescribed antibiotics. He did not tell me to stop taking the other pills - and being a stupid kid, I kept taking both. Needless to say - this caused havoc on my system. My mom called him about some symptoms I was having - and he told me to stop the antibiotics and get a prescription for these new symptoms (I won't go in to detail). When I continued to get worse, my mom called and he prescribed a different kind. When that still didn't work I went in and saw him - and it turns out what he was thinking by our descriptions on the phone - was completely different than what he saw in real life. It was a HUGE mistake on our part to allow the diagnosis over the phone.

Go to emergency if you have to and see an orthapedic surgeon. Or something. Please. Or insist on seeing this other doctor right away - although I'd be reluctant to trust his opinion.

Re: To Kim

wendyn on 6/04/00 at 10:21 (021287)

Hi Kim - can you email me at the above address?

Wendyn

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 10:36 (021288)

OK Everybody, here's the deal - Beverly's going to spend this week off her feet and doing a fine job of healing so....she needs a week's worth of jokes relayed to her via this message board! Everybody get busy now and let's keep her from tearing her hair out (and plastering it to her feet? Nevermind...)

Also, Beverly I think you might have gotten some bad information regarding that Southern Belle thing - aren't the SB's the ones who are supposed to have coffee, etc., brought TO them?

Re: To Beverly-- a second

alan k on 6/04/00 at 10:49 (021290)

So sorry to hear about everything, and thank you for your reflective posts which might serve as warnings for others.

Now, you really should get looked at right away, and change doctors forever.

I can't believe the doctor doesn't want to see you for a torn pf. I think the diagnosis is right-- the sound and everything is classic--but the classic treatment is immediate casting for several weeks. Perhaps the classic treatment is not best (like shots), but perhaps it is. You need to get treatment, and the right treatment. You need a doctor that is more concerned. 'Just try to stay off it' is not acceptable treatment for a ruptured plantar fascia, even were it delivered in person.

let us know what happens,

alan k

john h on 6/04/00 at 10:52 (021292)

beverely: bad news! one of my doctors (female orthopedic surgeon) completely tore her fascia away from her heel. she laughed and told me it cured her problem! i have also noticed that several professional football players completely tore the fascia away from the heel and came back to play the same year. do see a different doctor however and soon.

john h on 6/04/00 at 10:54 (021293)

my southern belle prefers tea!

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 11:11 (021294)

this Southern(CA)Belle prefers Margaritas.........which, by the way, is the theme for my decade beach-birthday-bash (well, not really a bash, just some nice folks stopping by at their leisure...)next Saturday....which decade you may ask? A (Southern) lady never tells......
Which brings up another point. My BD is next Monday....so I'm thinking this board needs a contest. The first Annual. Maybe the only Annual! We'll call it 'Name that ChrisO'. I was a little leary when I first posted (my Internet first!) so didn't use my real name. Now, I know ya'll have nothing else to do but spend this week guessing what it is but it may be a kick. And, because I will have the great pleasure of meeting our own Nancy S in her home town when my husband and I travel to Maine on the 14th, I'll ask her to make the disclosure then - unless, of course, one or more of you guess correctly as a result of daily clues - beginning tomorrow.
I guess I better go get a life now......and think of a prize.....

john h on 6/04/00 at 18:54 (021308)

chris : your real name is Monique

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 19:42 (021313)

Incorrect......(sure am glad you didn't come out of the shute with 'Monica'......

Laurie R on 6/04/00 at 21:16 (021323)

Hi Beverly,
First of all I want to tell you how sorry I am to hear about what happened to you and that you had to go back home.PLEASE I am not trying to tell you what to do but here it goes anyways,I just got out of a hard cast that I was in for 5 weeks,before the 5 weeks I was in a hard cast for 4 weeks the reason I got it back on was that I was getting out of bed and I also tore my fascia I was going to PT to rebuild my muscle in my leg since I lost it all due to the first cast,so I went on like that for 2 weeks and could not take the pain anymore so my Pod put me back in the cast. The second time around in the cast helped me so much with the pain,I have PF and TTS ,So rest as much as you can.I know it is very hard to stay off your feet. I got my hard cast off 3 days ago and I have a BIG lump on the bottom of my fascia and it hurts I did ask my Pod if it was a tumor and he said it was scar tissue and to take it easy because he said he was scared that the same thing was going to happen again. So now I am in a walking cast and I ice 3 times a day and I will start back at PT this week.He said if my pain comes back like it was than I am going back in a hard cast to help with the pain.You know everything happens for a reason we don't always understand why at the time .I do understand what you are going through so keep your head up ,we are here for you........ My very best to you.and I hope you feel better soon......Laurie R

Re: Some questions & thanks for all your support

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 22:21 (021325)

Hi guys,

Your support is wonderful! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

I agree. It is incredible that I was told to cancel my trip but told not to bother to come in for a week. Actually, I was told, 'Call us in a week if you're still in bad shape. Sometimes rest takes care of the problem and one does not need a cast.' It seems to me if I had the devistating experience of canceling a vacation I have looked forward to for months (and the doctor knows this), the least he should do is see me right away.

Yes, I agree I need another doctor. Before any of this happened, I made an appointment for a second opinion towards the end of June. I will see if I can get in earlier, but I understand this doctor is VERY POPULAR AND NEW PATIENTS CAN TAKE ABOUT TWO WEEKS TO GET AN APPOINTMENT.

What I don't understand is that my own pod has a fabulous local reputation. Both my internist, massage therapist, and dermatolgist all say he is on their top three list for the best pods in our city. So it is confusing.

In the meantime, tomorrow I am going to call and push hard to get in to see the current doctor while waiting for that second opinion.

I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS:

1. If my foot is really torn, why can I rest for a few hours and then do something simple, like get a glass of water and put on a load of laundry and only feel moderate discomfort? And in the morning after that first bit of morning pain passes, it's not so bad, but quickly, boom, the pain builds up much faster than before, but there is that period for a couple of hours in the morning where I'm only in discomfort. If it is torn, wouldn't it hurt everytime I put weight on my foot? The difference between now and before is that it takes very little to get to that 'I can't take another step stage,' but everytime I take even a short rest, I feel temporarily better.

2. Do you think all the driving/walking around is more likely to have caused it or did getting vigerous with that massage ball - going hard over the arch cause it?

3. If I do end up in a cast, how well do the velcro, removable casts you can walk on work? I can't stand the thought of not being able to take a bath. I'd really like the removable kind.

4. Both feet are really bad. After being on crutches on my right foot, it is every bit as sore as the left foot. Why on earth was I told to get on crutches on my original injury to take the weight off the new injury!?! I'm not sure I even want to know, but how would one deal with both feet being torn?

5. What would an MRI show or rule out besides a fracture?

Thanks,
Beverly

PS: Chris, I'm thinking on guessing your name. A southern girl huh? Is it one of those double names like Peggy Sue or Betty Ann?

wendyn on 6/04/00 at 22:49 (021326)

An MRI can show pretty much everything that is happening in your foot. It would be comparable to them going in, opening up your foot and peeling back the layers to check EVERYTHING out. This is what they can do in an MRI.

Don't be too stressed about waiting two weeks to see another doctor. I waited almost 6 months to see mine. I'll be waiting close to that for the MRI.

Re: Chris' name

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 01:16 (021332)

I imagine her name is Christina Olympia. A Southern name a la Greece.

alan k on 6/05/00 at 08:30 (021334)

It is hard to say what the answers to your questions might be, but that is all the reason more to see a doctor. It might be worth it to wait two weeks for a popular doctor. Anyway, maybe your first doc is right but it can't get hurt to get a second opinion from someone who will see you in person rather than relay a few words through a nurse.

Seems like the one sure thing is to stay off it completely. Atrophy is not a serious issue for two weeks, and your questions contain info in them suggesting that rest helps.

good luck,

alan k

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 15:41 (021354)

Hi Beverly - you know, I can really empathize with you right now. As I've read your post here, I can't help but get the feeling that what I'm really reading is frustration and confusion. Sounds like every one of your questions is exactly what you will be asking your doctor. The only thing I find a bit bothersome is that, if your Doc really thinks you've torn the plantar, why isn't he seeing you right away? An MRI will expose the tear (but not a bone fracture). Alan may be right, perhaps the best thing to do while waiting to see any Doc is to get those tootsies up, period. My understanding is that tears can be mended pretty much only by staying off the foot. But then, I have to remember that I'm not a Doc!
P.S. Can I have your dad?

Re: To Chris

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 22:39 (021402)

Chris,

Yes, I am very frustrated. If you read my newer post under 'I saw my doctor,' you'll see what I did learn.

About my Dad. Sorry, I'm so 'high maintenance,' I'm all Daddy can handle.

Here are some possible names for you:

Beth Ann
Billy Jo
Margaret Ann
Her Princess of the High Court
Belle
Belinda Sue

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 22:44 (021405)

YES Beverly - you've GOT it! It's 'Princess of the High Court'! And I thought no one could ever possibly guess!

Too bad I can't get my kids to go for that one.....

Did you see Bob's joke of the day? Can you believe it, he actually found a joke that has the name 'Chris' in it!

Re: To Chris - forgot....

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 22:48 (021406)

No, actually I'm not a southern belle (but I bet I'd be good at it..) I actually said a Southern (CA) girl.......I live in Southern California. But I grew up in the mid-west. I visited Atlanta once, does that count?

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 23:55 (021409)

Not a belle? Well, my names are all wrong. Southern Calif. calls for different names. Here are my guesses:

1. Moonbeam
2. Flower
3. Sunshine
4. Cool Chick
5. Rising Moon
6. Marlene
7. Hip Chick
8. Apple Blossom
9. Sunbeam
10.Heather

Could you give us a hint as to your decade? Age affects names. If your parents were whispering the sweet nothings that brought you into the world during the Woodstock era, this could be relevant. Also, if you were in your 20's during the Flower Power decade, you just might have changed your name.

CoolChickAKA chrisO on 6/06/00 at 04:37 (021414)

sure wish somebody WOULD call me 'Cool Chick'........

OK OK I give up already! The name has been guessed but, because I wanted to milk this for a week, I'm not going to give in on which it is or who guessed it just yet! I have a whole list of cool (chick) clues that took me forever to make up so ya'll have to put up with PF AND my obnoxiousness!

I'm on the road tomorrow (thank goodness 'cuz my feet are screaming at me as a result of getting the college freshman's room ready for his triumphant return - we switched a couple of rooms so lots of work...) so I don't get to get a Board fix for a few days....but I'm pleased to say that it will come in a different manner - I get to say hello to our own BobG who is in the same town my son is in college in... the world just keeps shrinking.......Nancy, please note the time .....

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 00:23 (021272)

Oh No Beverly! Saw your subject line and my heart dropped......you were pretty ready for that trip with your Dad! Have you seen the doctor? Is he going to do an MRI? I'm a little curious as to how it's a nurse who's advising you over the phone - is she/he a screening-type nurse? Maybe that foot just got too stiff during that long drive home.
I'll make a deal with you - 'cept everyone here has to agree....let's all work HARD at getting mended by the fall and then we can ALL go to the mountains with Beverly and her Pop!
But seriously my friend, do stay off those feet - especially given the probability that a tear took place. Getting that wheelchair was a very smart move - and those mountains will still be there (unless they're on the West Coast - you never know about that!)

Bob G. on 6/04/00 at 00:30 (021273)

Sorry Beverly, what a shame!

Best you stay off those feet for awhile! Too much too soon.

It really pays to rest them - completely.

Best of luck, and hope for progress soon.

Nancy S. on 6/04/00 at 07:06 (021276)

Beverly, I'm SO sorry about what happened to you! What a disappointment, especially when your vacation sounded like a good type for PF -- it's not as if you were planning to ignore your feet and go wild and crazy. Life is not fair (duh).
You will see the doctor and find out exactly what happened, yes? Clearly having more than a mild case in both feet is going to mean a new definition of rest -- of the most serious kind.
Have you been able to think of anything that would cause a tear in your mild foot? Do you think it was getting stressed from trying to avoid pressure on the other foot? I have worried about this myself, because my 'good' foot at times has gotten pretty achy from taking more pressure than the bad one. Most days I have very little limp anymore, so I worry about that less -- but still worry about it some.
But I feel so bad for you -- like Chris, my heart sank when I saw your subject line.
I hope you will see the doctor and maybe get some specific guidelines about how to take care of both feet now. Hang in there -- I'm sure you will make progress, and it just may require more patience now. It seems this PF requires a lot from us, and patience may be the biggest challenge of all. Best of luck to you and I hope your mending gets on a good track and you feel progress again soon.
--Nancy

Kim B. on 6/04/00 at 09:50 (021281)

Beverly,

I am so sorry to hear about your ruined trip. Lord bless your heart and miserable feet! I'm leaving in two days to go back home to Memphis to see family and friends. I should be ok, but I'll be extra careful not to let my gaurd down where my feet are concerned. I am flying Dallas to Memphis. I hate flying (stressful for me), and airports are so vast and hard on the feet. (My FM makes long drives almost unbearable 'cause I get so stiff and such.) I'll be on my own with a 4 year old, so that means chasing him around and extra trips to the bathrooms, etc. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

Anyway you get the jest of my situation. I am wondering a few things about your injury. What is 'it' that tore? (your plantar fascia?) What caused it to tear? (stepping out of the car?) Or was it basically inevitable no matter where you would have been and what you would have been doing? Most importantly, what shoes where you wearing?

Regards and mend soon!
Kim B.

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 10:02 (021282)

Dear Nancy and all who have posted to me,

Thank you for all your kind and speedy letters.

To answer questions, the nurse relayed this information to me (about the suspected tear to my left foot) after going to the doctor. I described what happened... the popping/crunching sound/it's location/and pain. She put me on hold and spoke to the doctor, and then came back to report that I had more than likely torn it, and to get off it for one week/on crutches or in a wheelchair. No, the doctor does not want to see me now. Very frustrating. He wants me to have a week of total inactivity and then see him to see if the rest will keep me from having to be in a walkable cast. He has yet to suggest x-rays or an MRI. I have good insurance. I really want to see him for peace of mind... to know what I did. It seems only fair since I was told to cancel my vacation.

As to what led up to it, I'm not sure, but I have a hunch. I think the eight hour drive was hard on me. I got out to walk around every couple of hours at truck stops. I walked around a good bit. That was much more walking than I normally do with PF. Also, about five or ten minutes before the popping sound in my arch, I had been using my trusty massage ball (hard kind with nodules). I know I was going deeper than usual. Also, I usually run the ball mostly over my heel and ball of my foot. This time, I was going to town on the arch too. Perhaps, that caused it. But it is confusing, because that massage ball has been a real lifesafer at other times. Perhaps, going over the arch was a mistake.

I've given up on crutches. By this morning, I realized that after only trying them for three days, my right foot (the original injury) is killing me even though the left foot (the one the doctor suspects I tore) is marginally better from being off it. All I have done is to make my right foot worse while trying to tend to the left foot. And the crutches were awful on my shoulder (older injury/now mostly healed/don't want to add it to my problems.)

So, I am giving this wheelchair a try, but I lack patience with it. Sometimes it is just easier to walk to the kitchen. But I am planning to stay in the house all week, and try to go nowhere. Today, my exhusband/current partner/friend (I'd call him a boyfriend but we're past the age for that title) is running errands for me with me sitting in the truck or on an electric cart in stores. Then, my plan is to stay in the house for one solid week and not go anywhere... doing this rest cure... using the wheelchair as much as my sanity will allow.

What makes this hard is that I live alone, and sweetie pie lives hours away from me. He is the friend who drove me home. We see each other about two weeks out of every six weeks. (He's older/semi-retired.) Since my PF, all the traveling has been on his part. One of the reasons I drove to Dallas to catch the plane was to spend time with him
on his 'turf' since I thought I was a little better.

Like many guys, he has a 'tough out the pain' approach to life. It is very hard for him to understand why I can't 'tough it out' on my feet like he does with his knees. It may just be that we have different mindsets. I wish he could understand more, but he did drive me home, and is staying a few days. Caretaking is not his gift, but he is doing sweet things like running lots of errands for me. Somehow, he's happy to go to Walmart, the bank, post office, ect, but he's not so great at thinking to get me a glass of water. When I tried crutches I walked across the room holding a papercup of water in my teeth. Later I said, 'Did it occur to you to help?' He apologized but said that's how he carried his water some years back when he had knee surgery and gave me a 'be independent lecture.' Yet, he is amazingly supportive with 'guy things', like fixing stuff or helping with the yard. He is very spoiled from years of me always waiting on him. (A southern belle who is used to bringing her man coffee in bed every morning and breakfast on a tray.) So this is quite a switch. And yes, this is our third time around, but at least this time, I'm smart enough not to go get married or live together. We love each other dearly but drive each other nuts if we're around each other nonstop.

Beverly

Re: To answer Kim's questions

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 10:15 (021284)

Dear Kim,

I feel for you, because I too have dealt with more than just PF, but that's another story. (Hey, I'm from Dallas/Ft. Worth. I live on the Texas coast, and I was driving home to Ft.Worth when this recent setback happened.)

Anyway, if you will read the reply post I just made it will answer most of your questions. As to what shoes I was in, I was in my very best running shoes/the ones the doctor likes/with my custom orthodics.

If I had it to do all over again, this is what I would have done. I would have made the trip home to Dallas another trip and done that by plane. I would have focused only on this trip to the mountains with Daddy. I would have taken a plane directly to New Mexico. I would have used the wheelchair assistance in the airport. I would have then taken the shuttle bus to the resort and not rented a car to drive through the mountains myself (but of course I never even got that far.)
Dad and I want to try this again in September. If I'm up for it at all, I'll go 'wheelchair' all the way through airports and forget about making a long drive 8 hour drive home to Ft. Worth in route to the mountains. If I did have to drive, I'd cut the drive in half and spend the night in a motel. Next time I decide to go home for a visit to Ft. Worth, I am going to fly! I have found that it is extended walking or standing in long lines that messes me up everytime.

I hope your trip goes better than mine did. I have a good friend with FM; so I know that this makes PF extra hard for you. My prayers are with you on your trip.
Beverly

wendyn on 6/04/00 at 10:20 (021286)

Wow Beverly - I don't know what to say. What an awful experience.

Permit me though - to STRONGLY suggest that you see a doctor (a different one) NOW. A diagnosis over the phone is absolutely unacceptable. Especially since you told the nurse who told the doctor who answered the nurse who relayed this to you.

When I was a teenager my GP put me on medicine for pimples (some type of antibiotic). A few weeks later I came down with a throat infection, so he prescribed antibiotics. He did not tell me to stop taking the other pills - and being a stupid kid, I kept taking both. Needless to say - this caused havoc on my system. My mom called him about some symptoms I was having - and he told me to stop the antibiotics and get a prescription for these new symptoms (I won't go in to detail). When I continued to get worse, my mom called and he prescribed a different kind. When that still didn't work I went in and saw him - and it turns out what he was thinking by our descriptions on the phone - was completely different than what he saw in real life. It was a HUGE mistake on our part to allow the diagnosis over the phone.

Go to emergency if you have to and see an orthapedic surgeon. Or something. Please. Or insist on seeing this other doctor right away - although I'd be reluctant to trust his opinion.

Re: To Kim

wendyn on 6/04/00 at 10:21 (021287)

Hi Kim - can you email me at the above address?

Wendyn

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 10:36 (021288)

OK Everybody, here's the deal - Beverly's going to spend this week off her feet and doing a fine job of healing so....she needs a week's worth of jokes relayed to her via this message board! Everybody get busy now and let's keep her from tearing her hair out (and plastering it to her feet? Nevermind...)

Also, Beverly I think you might have gotten some bad information regarding that Southern Belle thing - aren't the SB's the ones who are supposed to have coffee, etc., brought TO them?

Re: To Beverly-- a second

alan k on 6/04/00 at 10:49 (021290)

So sorry to hear about everything, and thank you for your reflective posts which might serve as warnings for others.

Now, you really should get looked at right away, and change doctors forever.

I can't believe the doctor doesn't want to see you for a torn pf. I think the diagnosis is right-- the sound and everything is classic--but the classic treatment is immediate casting for several weeks. Perhaps the classic treatment is not best (like shots), but perhaps it is. You need to get treatment, and the right treatment. You need a doctor that is more concerned. 'Just try to stay off it' is not acceptable treatment for a ruptured plantar fascia, even were it delivered in person.

let us know what happens,

alan k

john h on 6/04/00 at 10:52 (021292)

beverely: bad news! one of my doctors (female orthopedic surgeon) completely tore her fascia away from her heel. she laughed and told me it cured her problem! i have also noticed that several professional football players completely tore the fascia away from the heel and came back to play the same year. do see a different doctor however and soon.

john h on 6/04/00 at 10:54 (021293)

my southern belle prefers tea!

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 11:11 (021294)

this Southern(CA)Belle prefers Margaritas.........which, by the way, is the theme for my decade beach-birthday-bash (well, not really a bash, just some nice folks stopping by at their leisure...)next Saturday....which decade you may ask? A (Southern) lady never tells......
Which brings up another point. My BD is next Monday....so I'm thinking this board needs a contest. The first Annual. Maybe the only Annual! We'll call it 'Name that ChrisO'. I was a little leary when I first posted (my Internet first!) so didn't use my real name. Now, I know ya'll have nothing else to do but spend this week guessing what it is but it may be a kick. And, because I will have the great pleasure of meeting our own Nancy S in her home town when my husband and I travel to Maine on the 14th, I'll ask her to make the disclosure then - unless, of course, one or more of you guess correctly as a result of daily clues - beginning tomorrow.
I guess I better go get a life now......and think of a prize.....

john h on 6/04/00 at 18:54 (021308)

chris : your real name is Monique

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 19:42 (021313)

Incorrect......(sure am glad you didn't come out of the shute with 'Monica'......

Laurie R on 6/04/00 at 21:16 (021323)

Hi Beverly,
First of all I want to tell you how sorry I am to hear about what happened to you and that you had to go back home.PLEASE I am not trying to tell you what to do but here it goes anyways,I just got out of a hard cast that I was in for 5 weeks,before the 5 weeks I was in a hard cast for 4 weeks the reason I got it back on was that I was getting out of bed and I also tore my fascia I was going to PT to rebuild my muscle in my leg since I lost it all due to the first cast,so I went on like that for 2 weeks and could not take the pain anymore so my Pod put me back in the cast. The second time around in the cast helped me so much with the pain,I have PF and TTS ,So rest as much as you can.I know it is very hard to stay off your feet. I got my hard cast off 3 days ago and I have a BIG lump on the bottom of my fascia and it hurts I did ask my Pod if it was a tumor and he said it was scar tissue and to take it easy because he said he was scared that the same thing was going to happen again. So now I am in a walking cast and I ice 3 times a day and I will start back at PT this week.He said if my pain comes back like it was than I am going back in a hard cast to help with the pain.You know everything happens for a reason we don't always understand why at the time .I do understand what you are going through so keep your head up ,we are here for you........ My very best to you.and I hope you feel better soon......Laurie R

Beverly on 6/04/00 at 22:21 (021325)

Hi guys,

Your support is wonderful! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

I agree. It is incredible that I was told to cancel my trip but told not to bother to come in for a week. Actually, I was told, 'Call us in a week if you're still in bad shape. Sometimes rest takes care of the problem and one does not need a cast.' It seems to me if I had the devistating experience of canceling a vacation I have looked forward to for months (and the doctor knows this), the least he should do is see me right away.

Yes, I agree I need another doctor. Before any of this happened, I made an appointment for a second opinion towards the end of June. I will see if I can get in earlier, but I understand this doctor is VERY POPULAR AND NEW PATIENTS CAN TAKE ABOUT TWO WEEKS TO GET AN APPOINTMENT.

What I don't understand is that my own pod has a fabulous local reputation. Both my internist, massage therapist, and dermatolgist all say he is on their top three list for the best pods in our city. So it is confusing.

In the meantime, tomorrow I am going to call and push hard to get in to see the current doctor while waiting for that second opinion.

I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS:

1. If my foot is really torn, why can I rest for a few hours and then do something simple, like get a glass of water and put on a load of laundry and only feel moderate discomfort? And in the morning after that first bit of morning pain passes, it's not so bad, but quickly, boom, the pain builds up much faster than before, but there is that period for a couple of hours in the morning where I'm only in discomfort. If it is torn, wouldn't it hurt everytime I put weight on my foot? The difference between now and before is that it takes very little to get to that 'I can't take another step stage,' but everytime I take even a short rest, I feel temporarily better.

2. Do you think all the driving/walking around is more likely to have caused it or did getting vigerous with that massage ball - going hard over the arch cause it?

3. If I do end up in a cast, how well do the velcro, removable casts you can walk on work? I can't stand the thought of not being able to take a bath. I'd really like the removable kind.

4. Both feet are really bad. After being on crutches on my right foot, it is every bit as sore as the left foot. Why on earth was I told to get on crutches on my original injury to take the weight off the new injury!?! I'm not sure I even want to know, but how would one deal with both feet being torn?

5. What would an MRI show or rule out besides a fracture?

Thanks,
Beverly

PS: Chris, I'm thinking on guessing your name. A southern girl huh? Is it one of those double names like Peggy Sue or Betty Ann?

wendyn on 6/04/00 at 22:49 (021326)

An MRI can show pretty much everything that is happening in your foot. It would be comparable to them going in, opening up your foot and peeling back the layers to check EVERYTHING out. This is what they can do in an MRI.

Don't be too stressed about waiting two weeks to see another doctor. I waited almost 6 months to see mine. I'll be waiting close to that for the MRI.

Re: Chris' name

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 01:16 (021332)

I imagine her name is Christina Olympia. A Southern name a la Greece.

alan k on 6/05/00 at 08:30 (021334)

It is hard to say what the answers to your questions might be, but that is all the reason more to see a doctor. It might be worth it to wait two weeks for a popular doctor. Anyway, maybe your first doc is right but it can't get hurt to get a second opinion from someone who will see you in person rather than relay a few words through a nurse.

Seems like the one sure thing is to stay off it completely. Atrophy is not a serious issue for two weeks, and your questions contain info in them suggesting that rest helps.

good luck,

alan k

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 15:41 (021354)

Hi Beverly - you know, I can really empathize with you right now. As I've read your post here, I can't help but get the feeling that what I'm really reading is frustration and confusion. Sounds like every one of your questions is exactly what you will be asking your doctor. The only thing I find a bit bothersome is that, if your Doc really thinks you've torn the plantar, why isn't he seeing you right away? An MRI will expose the tear (but not a bone fracture). Alan may be right, perhaps the best thing to do while waiting to see any Doc is to get those tootsies up, period. My understanding is that tears can be mended pretty much only by staying off the foot. But then, I have to remember that I'm not a Doc!
P.S. Can I have your dad?

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 22:39 (021402)

Chris,

Yes, I am very frustrated. If you read my newer post under 'I saw my doctor,' you'll see what I did learn.

About my Dad. Sorry, I'm so 'high maintenance,' I'm all Daddy can handle.

Here are some possible names for you:

Beth Ann
Billy Jo
Margaret Ann
Her Princess of the High Court
Belle
Belinda Sue

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 22:44 (021405)

YES Beverly - you've GOT it! It's 'Princess of the High Court'! And I thought no one could ever possibly guess!

Too bad I can't get my kids to go for that one.....

Did you see Bob's joke of the day? Can you believe it, he actually found a joke that has the name 'Chris' in it!

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 22:48 (021406)

No, actually I'm not a southern belle (but I bet I'd be good at it..) I actually said a Southern (CA) girl.......I live in Southern California. But I grew up in the mid-west. I visited Atlanta once, does that count?

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 23:55 (021409)

Not a belle? Well, my names are all wrong. Southern Calif. calls for different names. Here are my guesses:

1. Moonbeam
2. Flower
3. Sunshine
4. Cool Chick
5. Rising Moon
6. Marlene
7. Hip Chick
8. Apple Blossom
9. Sunbeam
10.Heather

Could you give us a hint as to your decade? Age affects names. If your parents were whispering the sweet nothings that brought you into the world during the Woodstock era, this could be relevant. Also, if you were in your 20's during the Flower Power decade, you just might have changed your name.

CoolChickAKA chrisO on 6/06/00 at 04:37 (021414)

sure wish somebody WOULD call me 'Cool Chick'........

OK OK I give up already! The name has been guessed but, because I wanted to milk this for a week, I'm not going to give in on which it is or who guessed it just yet! I have a whole list of cool (chick) clues that took me forever to make up so ya'll have to put up with PF AND my obnoxiousness!

I'm on the road tomorrow (thank goodness 'cuz my feet are screaming at me as a result of getting the college freshman's room ready for his triumphant return - we switched a couple of rooms so lots of work...) so I don't get to get a Board fix for a few days....but I'm pleased to say that it will come in a different manner - I get to say hello to our own BobG who is in the same town my son is in college in... the world just keeps shrinking.......Nancy, please note the time .....