Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

weather must be good everywhere.........

Posted by ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 17:41 (021305)

I'm guessing the whole world has great weather today because nobody's posting this afternoon!
The weather here is perfect - and perfect for baseball. We went out and practiced for a while and I've discovered something....

A couple of years ago my husband had PF - eventually had successful release surgery. There was a time when he was hurting that he would wear his baseball cleats (rubber, not metal) around the house when he was working around here (thank goodness the wood floors could take it!). I thought that was pretty bazaar but he insisted that they were the most comfortable shoes he had.
I just spent a couple of hours in my cleats with just a thin drug-store 3/4 arch pad in them. I had zero pain. Still zero three hours later. And this is not the first time. Now believe me, cleats are nothing to crow about. They're inherently cheap and made for temporary wear (except for the MLB ones). They are by no means meant to be worn 'around' or be supportive. Go figure!

Re: weather must be good everywhere.........

Nancy S. on 6/04/00 at 17:53 (021306)

'Chris,' are cleats actual shoes or those things you stick under them? I always thought the latter and now I'm mixed up.
You know, you are tempting me sorely to enter your naming contest and WIN WIN WIN. I am an encourager of jumping out of closets. I also never win anything, and this is my big chance. Of course, maybe you will give me a prize for keeping my mouth shut . . .
--Nancy

Re: contest etiquette........

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 19:38 (021311)

Now Nancy, be good! - that'll probably earn you a prize!
The term 'cleats' actually applies to a whole shoe.....the cleats themselves are just as you say, spikey things stuck on the bottom of the shoe. Some of our players wear metal ones (like REAL ball players.....), especially pitchers. However, last week my starter was sliding in to third and caught her metal cleat on the bag....yep, you guessed it, she fractured her ankle in four spots, tore her ACL, and, so far, has had surgery on the ankle.........one of my husband's players did the exact thing last year! They say that's the most common ball-playing injury. But it'll never happen to me because I totally don't slide!

Re: The weather is crappy in Texas today

Kim B. on 6/04/00 at 20:07 (021316)

And it has really affected my fibromyalgia. But oddly, my feet are holding their own, which is a very good sign for them. The weather does seem to be clearing up a bit, I hope this front is on the way out!

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Source of water in Abilene

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 00:47 (021331)

I know it was raining in Texas yesterday. But what I REALLY want to know is

does Sweetwater really get their water from Bitter Creek? My friends in Abilene tell me so!

Marshmellows and cushions for you, Tenderfeet!

Re: Water, and leaving town for a week.

Kim B. on 6/05/00 at 11:52 (021339)

I dunno Bob, I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Our water is the pits. That seem to be the story through out Texas from what I've heard. I am a transplant. Moved here from Memphis, TN, 12 years ago.

Which reminds me, I will be out of town June 6 - 12. My sister just got a new 'puter, but I don't know if they have gotten it configured and running yet. If so I may be able to check in while I'm away, but I'm not counting on it. I'm at her house part of the trip and hotellin' it part of the time.

You guys will have to muddle through without me...somehow. (Yes, that's a joke. He He :-) Hope my feet hold out. Don't want to join Beverly's club! The dues are too high!!

Regards,
Kim B. aka Tenderfoot

Re: weather must be good everywhere.........

Nancy S. on 6/04/00 at 17:53 (021306)

'Chris,' are cleats actual shoes or those things you stick under them? I always thought the latter and now I'm mixed up.
You know, you are tempting me sorely to enter your naming contest and WIN WIN WIN. I am an encourager of jumping out of closets. I also never win anything, and this is my big chance. Of course, maybe you will give me a prize for keeping my mouth shut . . .
--Nancy

Re: contest etiquette........

ChrisO on 6/04/00 at 19:38 (021311)

Now Nancy, be good! - that'll probably earn you a prize!
The term 'cleats' actually applies to a whole shoe.....the cleats themselves are just as you say, spikey things stuck on the bottom of the shoe. Some of our players wear metal ones (like REAL ball players.....), especially pitchers. However, last week my starter was sliding in to third and caught her metal cleat on the bag....yep, you guessed it, she fractured her ankle in four spots, tore her ACL, and, so far, has had surgery on the ankle.........one of my husband's players did the exact thing last year! They say that's the most common ball-playing injury. But it'll never happen to me because I totally don't slide!

Re: The weather is crappy in Texas today

Kim B. on 6/04/00 at 20:07 (021316)

And it has really affected my fibromyalgia. But oddly, my feet are holding their own, which is a very good sign for them. The weather does seem to be clearing up a bit, I hope this front is on the way out!

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Source of water in Abilene

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 00:47 (021331)

I know it was raining in Texas yesterday. But what I REALLY want to know is

does Sweetwater really get their water from Bitter Creek? My friends in Abilene tell me so!

Marshmellows and cushions for you, Tenderfeet!

Re: Water, and leaving town for a week.

Kim B. on 6/05/00 at 11:52 (021339)

I dunno Bob, I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Our water is the pits. That seem to be the story through out Texas from what I've heard. I am a transplant. Moved here from Memphis, TN, 12 years ago.

Which reminds me, I will be out of town June 6 - 12. My sister just got a new 'puter, but I don't know if they have gotten it configured and running yet. If so I may be able to check in while I'm away, but I'm not counting on it. I'm at her house part of the trip and hotellin' it part of the time.

You guys will have to muddle through without me...somehow. (Yes, that's a joke. He He :-) Hope my feet hold out. Don't want to join Beverly's club! The dues are too high!!

Regards,
Kim B. aka Tenderfoot