Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I saw the doctor.. both feet torn...

Posted by Beverly on 6/05/00 at 17:54 (021368)

Okay guys.. Good news and bad news. I called.. got very yappy, and got into see my pod today.

Here is what I learned:

1. I only assumed I was talking to the nurse. It was his secretary. He doesn't have a nurse.

2. He says I only have 'torn adhesions,' but I have not torn the fascia itself. I asked how he can tell, and he says my foot would look different if I had torn the fascia, and I would be very sore to the touch. I asked for an MRI or other x-ray, but he said, 'No.. don't need one.'

3. I am suppose to get in a camwalker (removable cast that you can walk on) pronto. Both feet are affected. I am to decided which foot hurts the most and start with that foot. I'm suppose to wear the walking boot cast on the most hurt foot for six weeks. Then, I wear it on the other foot for six weeks. You can't do both at once. I am to wear my orthodics in the boot.

4. Light friction massage is good, but he says, 'no deep stuff and no more hard/bumpy massage ball.' In fact, he thinks my aggressive massaging with the massage ball might have caused this setback.

5. In general, take the rest cure. I can swim. In fact, he likes water therapy, but no water areobics or any other 'bouncing on the feet.' Hey, at the moment, he won't have to sell me hard on that one.

6. He did not give me any instructions about when to return to see him.

Well, I am both relieved that he thinks I only have torn adhesions and furious that after canceling my trip, I don't get an MRI. Also, if I had not been told to use crutches over the phone by the secretary who I thought was a nurse, I would not have my right foot in such bad shape.
There I was for two days balancing on my original injury to trying to take weight off the newer injury!

And yes, I do have that appointment with the second opinion, and tomorrow I'm going to try to speed it up. This second opinion is the most popular pod in town, but I have also found out he did his internship from my current doctor.

I am very interested in the sports medicine route. I'm going to look into that. If you were going to get another opionion from a 'nonpod', would you go with an orthopedic doctor or a sports medicine doctor?

I will say this... People in pod offices are the most 'chatty' patients I've ever met. Usually, no one talks to anyone else in the waiting room. This waiting room is very chatty. And there is always someone worse off than I am. Today, I was sitting next to an elderly man/retired professional who told me he's dead broke, because after his wife's death, he married a 30 year old topless dancer who cleaned him out and then dumped him after getting him to pay for new tits, and it turned out she prefered girls too! Plus, he has foot problems. I know the old geezer should have known better, but I really felt sorry for him. So fellows, if you get depressed, stay away from topless dancers half your age.

Thank you so much for all your support.

Beverly

Re: I saw the doctor.. both feet torn...

Nancy S. on 6/05/00 at 18:20 (021370)

Beverly: Sounds like that poor old geezer had a type of setback too! We're never alone. . . .
Ya, the crutches idea sounded bad from the start. The walking cast sounds better, and I hope it helps you.
Maybe you won't want a return appointment with this pod. He may have saved you a phone call. Good luck in your search for someone better!
--Nancy

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 18:51 (021372)

Well Beverly, I certainly feel better now that you've seen your Pod! And I'll bet that taking charge like that put you in a fine frame of mind too. It would seem that torn adhesions would make more sense than a torn plantar, although once again I remind myself that I'm not a Doc! But I do remember my Pod telling me last year when I was running, playing ball and rehabing my Mother-in-law's house that the only thing I was succeeding in doing was tearing adhesions time after time. Hmmmm.....maybe that's why I couldn't walk!
Good luck with that Cam walker and your search for a Sports Doc.
Watch out for those old geezers though.......I always say beware of someone who buys his girl new body parts!

Re: orthopedic/sports med. dr.

GinaC on 6/05/00 at 20:34 (021384)

Maybe it's just dumb luck, but both sports medicine doctors I've seen were also orthopedic surgeons--so it is possible to get both in the same package.

Re: To Chris on new body parts

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 20:37 (021386)

I don't know about those body parts. I wouldn't do it.. too much could go wrong, but when I was a kid, Mom went from a AA to a generous C cup thanks to plastic surgery. As she got older... even in her sixties, they still looked great. Her line was, 'They,ll never droop, sag, or wrinkle.'

Beverly

PS: As I recall, you're the other southern belle on the board. On the way home from my spoiled vacation, I saw a great bumper sticker. It said, 'Yield to the Princess.' My sweetthing got quite a kick out of that.

Re: Did you get her name?

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 21:46 (021392)

Hi, Bev! Just read your post. Say, do you think you could get the name of that topless dancer? I don't want to get sucked in either! Thanks! BG :P

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 22:27 (021400)

Sorry Bob, I didn't get that friendly with the old guy to get the dancer's name. But in general, I'd advise staying away from topless dancers half your age. I passed the story onto Daddy who has three girlfriends. He says this is why he only dates widows who, like him, remember Glenn Miller the first time around and whose husbands left them good life insurance.

Beverly

Re: Glenn Miller

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 22:40 (021403)

Great music, Beverly! I love Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington, and THE ROLLING STONES!

I hope to be back on the dance floor soon (this year)! BG

Sue on 6/05/00 at 23:56 (021410)

Loved that! My 16 yr old daughter is into the swing thing now. Takes lessons to learn how to do the 'dances that Grandma did'! She listens to Brian Setzer, Benny Goodman, Harry Connick, Duke Ellington, etc. She and my mother trade CD's! I love it!

VickiJ on 6/06/00 at 08:06 (021419)

Hi Beverly,
I made a long post below...before I read this one...

if it were me I would ask the local university/high school/pro athletic people (trainers and physicians)...or a local professional dance troupe...who the most responsive, caring and 'up to date' ortho/sports medicine people are in your area.

'Soccer moms and dads' who have had injured kids can also be a good source of finding good doctors...which is how my sister found a good dr to help her with her foot/leg problems (non pf) maybe in your congregation there are people who have had sports injuries? The trick is to find the doctor who stays up to date, attends conferences, reads and talks with other doctors, etc.....AND LISTENS TO HIS/HER PATIENTS

john h on 6/06/00 at 09:25 (021425)

bev: did he say why you would have adhesions? normally you would have them following some sort of surgery but just to have adhesions on the bottom of your foot sounds odd to me.

Nancy S. on 6/05/00 at 18:20 (021370)

Beverly: Sounds like that poor old geezer had a type of setback too! We're never alone. . . .
Ya, the crutches idea sounded bad from the start. The walking cast sounds better, and I hope it helps you.
Maybe you won't want a return appointment with this pod. He may have saved you a phone call. Good luck in your search for someone better!
--Nancy

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 18:51 (021372)

Well Beverly, I certainly feel better now that you've seen your Pod! And I'll bet that taking charge like that put you in a fine frame of mind too. It would seem that torn adhesions would make more sense than a torn plantar, although once again I remind myself that I'm not a Doc! But I do remember my Pod telling me last year when I was running, playing ball and rehabing my Mother-in-law's house that the only thing I was succeeding in doing was tearing adhesions time after time. Hmmmm.....maybe that's why I couldn't walk!
Good luck with that Cam walker and your search for a Sports Doc.
Watch out for those old geezers though.......I always say beware of someone who buys his girl new body parts!

Re: orthopedic/sports med. dr.

GinaC on 6/05/00 at 20:34 (021384)

Maybe it's just dumb luck, but both sports medicine doctors I've seen were also orthopedic surgeons--so it is possible to get both in the same package.

Re: To Chris on new body parts

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 20:37 (021386)

I don't know about those body parts. I wouldn't do it.. too much could go wrong, but when I was a kid, Mom went from a AA to a generous C cup thanks to plastic surgery. As she got older... even in her sixties, they still looked great. Her line was, 'They,ll never droop, sag, or wrinkle.'

Beverly

PS: As I recall, you're the other southern belle on the board. On the way home from my spoiled vacation, I saw a great bumper sticker. It said, 'Yield to the Princess.' My sweetthing got quite a kick out of that.

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 21:46 (021392)

Hi, Bev! Just read your post. Say, do you think you could get the name of that topless dancer? I don't want to get sucked in either! Thanks! BG :P

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 22:27 (021400)

Sorry Bob, I didn't get that friendly with the old guy to get the dancer's name. But in general, I'd advise staying away from topless dancers half your age. I passed the story onto Daddy who has three girlfriends. He says this is why he only dates widows who, like him, remember Glenn Miller the first time around and whose husbands left them good life insurance.

Beverly

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 22:40 (021403)

Great music, Beverly! I love Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, Duke Ellington, and THE ROLLING STONES!

I hope to be back on the dance floor soon (this year)! BG

Sue on 6/05/00 at 23:56 (021410)

Loved that! My 16 yr old daughter is into the swing thing now. Takes lessons to learn how to do the 'dances that Grandma did'! She listens to Brian Setzer, Benny Goodman, Harry Connick, Duke Ellington, etc. She and my mother trade CD's! I love it!

VickiJ on 6/06/00 at 08:06 (021419)

Hi Beverly,
I made a long post below...before I read this one...

if it were me I would ask the local university/high school/pro athletic people (trainers and physicians)...or a local professional dance troupe...who the most responsive, caring and 'up to date' ortho/sports medicine people are in your area.

'Soccer moms and dads' who have had injured kids can also be a good source of finding good doctors...which is how my sister found a good dr to help her with her foot/leg problems (non pf) maybe in your congregation there are people who have had sports injuries? The trick is to find the doctor who stays up to date, attends conferences, reads and talks with other doctors, etc.....AND LISTENS TO HIS/HER PATIENTS

john h on 6/06/00 at 09:25 (021425)

bev: did he say why you would have adhesions? normally you would have them following some sort of surgery but just to have adhesions on the bottom of your foot sounds odd to me.