Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Never heard of this one.

Posted by cindyp on 6/05/00 at 18:40 (021371)

This stupid orthopedist calls me today and said they did'nt feel the emg would serve any purpose and that they being the ortho guys felt after viewing my records in house could do anything for my foot pain at this time. Their big thing is that when they start messing with nerves I could be worse off. Funny me being in constant pain and unable to get off the couch and walk most days? Worse than that?

Re: Never heard of this one.

wendn on 6/05/00 at 22:12 (021396)

I don't know Cindy - you just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I guess I can see where they may be coming from with the EMG. All the EMG really does is help pinpoint nerve compression or nerve involvment which they already know you have (you're the one with the nerve tumor right?).

BUT - if they can't help you what do they suggest you do now???

With respect to 'being worse off'....my mom has had back problems her whole life. She had a fusion a few months after I was born and then it started to fall apart a few years ago. She was in so much pain her blood pressure sky-rocketed and she thought she was going to lose her mind. One surgeon suggested to her that maybe she was having marital problems and that she was making her problems up.

Anyway, I digress....they offered her some type of temporary fix that involved something like cortisone injections right into the facets. They warned her of the risks and that she could be worse off than before - maybe even in a wheelchair. She told them that the only thing would be worse than what she was living with was being in the wheelchair AND still in so much pain. She was willing to take the wheelchair over the pain (and faced that real possiblity). It's infuriating when a doctor can imply that you must just live with your little problem because you may be worse off. Living in excruciating pain isn't exactly being 'well off' in the first place.

Beverly on 6/06/00 at 00:20 (021411)

Kim,

Do you have an HMO? I don't have that, and so I don't follow HMO stuff alot. I do know that you can push for their review board, and I've heard the yappy people get the most service.

If you don't have an HMO, how about trying a different doctor in your PPO network? That's what I'm going to do since my pod won't let me have an x-ray or MRI.

I had an EMG two years ago on my arm to rule out Carpal Tunnel or a pinched nerve. It didn't show anything. The doctor finally concluded it was a bad cervical strain, and I got better through PT. The EMG was uncomfortable but not horrible. I think I took a Valium before the test.

I know that people with terminal illnesses have it worse than us, and we can be greatful that most of us do get better. But chronic pain has got to be high on the list of awful things to endure. For me, I keep reminding myself that most people do get better. That gives me hope and hope is powerful medicine. In the meantime, I'm a big bookworm, and one way I am coping with being stuck in the house alot is reading trashy fiction with no literary merit and mindcurling suspense thrillers.

A friend of mine with Chronic Fatigue/FM took up painting when she was housebound.

My Mom had MS all my adult life. The telephone was her hobby. She kept up with all her friends on the phone. I think it was attached to her body. She could also tell me so much about 'As the World Turns' that I often thought they were her personal friends.

I heard that Margaret Mitchell wrote 'Gone With the Wind' after being knocked down by a car and confined to her bed. Perhaps, we could all get together and write 'Gone with the Foot.'

Seriously though, the only way I am learning to cope with this to do something mental. It helps take my mind off of the pain.

Kim, are you the one who is leaving for Memphis? I hope your trip goes well. Please take care of yourself.

Beverly

Re: Oops, I meant to address that to Cindy

Beverly on 6/06/00 at 00:22 (021412)

Sorry Cindy... I got confused... The above message was to you. My beddy bye pain pills are kicking in and I got the names mixed up.

Night Night,
Beverly

wendn on 6/05/00 at 22:12 (021396)

I don't know Cindy - you just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I guess I can see where they may be coming from with the EMG. All the EMG really does is help pinpoint nerve compression or nerve involvment which they already know you have (you're the one with the nerve tumor right?).

BUT - if they can't help you what do they suggest you do now???

With respect to 'being worse off'....my mom has had back problems her whole life. She had a fusion a few months after I was born and then it started to fall apart a few years ago. She was in so much pain her blood pressure sky-rocketed and she thought she was going to lose her mind. One surgeon suggested to her that maybe she was having marital problems and that she was making her problems up.

Anyway, I digress....they offered her some type of temporary fix that involved something like cortisone injections right into the facets. They warned her of the risks and that she could be worse off than before - maybe even in a wheelchair. She told them that the only thing would be worse than what she was living with was being in the wheelchair AND still in so much pain. She was willing to take the wheelchair over the pain (and faced that real possiblity). It's infuriating when a doctor can imply that you must just live with your little problem because you may be worse off. Living in excruciating pain isn't exactly being 'well off' in the first place.

Beverly on 6/06/00 at 00:20 (021411)

Kim,

Do you have an HMO? I don't have that, and so I don't follow HMO stuff alot. I do know that you can push for their review board, and I've heard the yappy people get the most service.

If you don't have an HMO, how about trying a different doctor in your PPO network? That's what I'm going to do since my pod won't let me have an x-ray or MRI.

I had an EMG two years ago on my arm to rule out Carpal Tunnel or a pinched nerve. It didn't show anything. The doctor finally concluded it was a bad cervical strain, and I got better through PT. The EMG was uncomfortable but not horrible. I think I took a Valium before the test.

I know that people with terminal illnesses have it worse than us, and we can be greatful that most of us do get better. But chronic pain has got to be high on the list of awful things to endure. For me, I keep reminding myself that most people do get better. That gives me hope and hope is powerful medicine. In the meantime, I'm a big bookworm, and one way I am coping with being stuck in the house alot is reading trashy fiction with no literary merit and mindcurling suspense thrillers.

A friend of mine with Chronic Fatigue/FM took up painting when she was housebound.

My Mom had MS all my adult life. The telephone was her hobby. She kept up with all her friends on the phone. I think it was attached to her body. She could also tell me so much about 'As the World Turns' that I often thought they were her personal friends.

I heard that Margaret Mitchell wrote 'Gone With the Wind' after being knocked down by a car and confined to her bed. Perhaps, we could all get together and write 'Gone with the Foot.'

Seriously though, the only way I am learning to cope with this to do something mental. It helps take my mind off of the pain.

Kim, are you the one who is leaving for Memphis? I hope your trip goes well. Please take care of yourself.

Beverly

Re: Oops, I meant to address that to Cindy

Beverly on 6/06/00 at 00:22 (021412)

Sorry Cindy... I got confused... The above message was to you. My beddy bye pain pills are kicking in and I got the names mixed up.

Night Night,
Beverly