Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

frustrated....

Posted by Sue on 6/05/00 at 20:12 (021382)

Went to my pod today after my initial visit two weeks ago for torn fascia in both feet. He tells me that I am to resume my walking, shopping, etc. No restrictions on anything!!! Initially told me total rest. He did, however, give me this instrument of torture to put in my shoe. It is a pad inside an ace bandage. The pad fits into the arch of my foot. He says it is to support the arch and take pressure off the fascia. How do I wear this thing with shoes? All the shoes I am wearing have arches in them now. When I add this thing into the mix, I am really uncomfortable. I feel worse tonight after wearing the insert than I did before. Also, when he saw my birks, he smirked and said he didn't 'buy into' the whole birks idea. Sorry for being whiny, I'm just frustrated.......Sue

Re: frustrated....

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 20:43 (021388)

Sue,

I am so sorry to hear you have it in both feet and torn to boot! (My most recent diagnosis is PF with 'torn adhesions' in both feet.) I would change doctors fast or at least get a second opinion. I'm less than satisfied with my own doctor, but I will say that he told me to get as much rest as possible. If you read my post from today under 'I saw my doctor' you can see what was done for me.

I can't imagine telling someone to go about 'activities as usual' with torn PF! That is sheer torture.

I'm curious, did you hurt both feet at once or did you hurt one and then the other one later? I hurt my right foot on a track and the left foot was only a little bothersome at first but got worse later.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Sue on 6/05/00 at 21:28 (021389)

Beverly: I hurt both feet at once. No idea how it happened but I just kept aggravating it daily for many months. I did not even KNOW what PF was until two weeks ago. Just knew it hurt really badly to get up in the morning. Finally had pain all day and went to the doc. The pod pressed on the heel of my left foot and I almost knocked him out. He said, 'Oh, did that hurt?'....talk about an urge to kill! ROFL! I am using ice throughout the day and doing massage. Have also spent a fortune on good shoes. Have gotten a wealth of info from this site!

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 22:01 (021394)

Folks, do you think Sue's 'instrument of torture' (I REALLY love that!) is Dr. Roth's inserts - 'Fabs', I think? I have some and that's what it sounds like. Sue, what you'll find here is a bunch of people who will probably say that, with most inserts, you have to sort of 'break them in'. Use them an hour the first day, 2 the second, and so on. Seems like Alan mentioned a while back that the process should take a good six weeks. However, you'll also read that many of us (me especially) totally hate orthotics, period. That could be because it's difficult to give them the long break-in period because they hurt. After all, you're making your feet do something they've never done before. So adding that soreness on top of the good ole' plantar fasciitis is just a rip-roarin' pain. Anyway, you should try to remove from your shoes existing arch stuff if you can - I actually went out and bought some Reeboks that supposedly were for 'normal' feet - no emphasis on arch support - so that the inserts and shoes would break-in together. Now, if the inserts were breakable, I'd break them in over my Chiro's head! He told me to 'push through' the pain! I already don't like your Doc - but if he's a Podiatrist he should know to take your pain seriously.

wendyn on 6/05/00 at 22:02 (021395)

Next time you just pick up one of those Birks and whack him upside the head with it - knock that silly smirk right off. I have not had one doctor poo-poo my birks. They all think that I should preferably be in orthotics but if Birks are the only thing I can wear they say to go with it.

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 22:26 (021399)

I am shocked! Your Pod wants you to continue activities that hurt? Sue, you've got to take charge here. This is ridiculous.

I am not a doctor, but I would prescribe joining this message board and taking the rest of the day off! BG

Pauline on 6/06/00 at 05:55 (021415)

I know what you mean. Every time I visited a Pod my experience has
been 4 x-rays, the same wrap you mentioned that does not fit into
a shoe and causes pain, and a new pair of orthotics that needed to
be ordered. Thats why I changed to Orthopedic people because they never wrap nor order orthotics. I figures even though I wasn't any better I was 2 steps ahead.

I must admit Dr. Zuckerman on this board seems different than most
Pods but not to be mean spirited, I would love to know if he wears orthotics and how many of his patients treated for PF are made a pair of orthotics.

Nancy S. on 6/06/00 at 06:27 (021416)

Sue, another frustrating pod visit to add to our collection! This one sounds a bit all over the map. Resuming walking and shopping etc. as if nothing is wrong is, let's face it, crazy advice.
As for the Birks reaction, I've found that many people selling something -- docs, medical supply store people -- tend to smirk at Birks because They Don't Sell Them. It's the famous Birks Smirk, probably found the world over.
As for that arch pad, I've found, and it seems true from many many posts here, that everyone's arches are different and react differently to different amounts of pressure and support. A generic arch support, in my opinion, is probably going to be right for only a small percentage of people. You can get little foam pads that you can stick right in the arch of your shoes or on your orthotics and trim them as needed until they fit you, individually, just right. This makes a lot more sense to me. --Nancy

Sue on 6/06/00 at 13:58 (021436)

i agree with you. I was down to very little pain until the pod gave me this pad. Someone wrote and told me to build up to it gradually. Sounds like a good idea to me. this is really frustrating. First they tell you one thing, then they tell you another. I am just going to keep doing massage, wear the pad occasionally and wear good shoes all the time. That seems to be doing the trick. It really is trial and error....also, LOVED the Birks Smirks comment.....rofl

Beverly on 6/05/00 at 20:43 (021388)

Sue,

I am so sorry to hear you have it in both feet and torn to boot! (My most recent diagnosis is PF with 'torn adhesions' in both feet.) I would change doctors fast or at least get a second opinion. I'm less than satisfied with my own doctor, but I will say that he told me to get as much rest as possible. If you read my post from today under 'I saw my doctor' you can see what was done for me.

I can't imagine telling someone to go about 'activities as usual' with torn PF! That is sheer torture.

I'm curious, did you hurt both feet at once or did you hurt one and then the other one later? I hurt my right foot on a track and the left foot was only a little bothersome at first but got worse later.

Good Luck,
Beverly

Sue on 6/05/00 at 21:28 (021389)

Beverly: I hurt both feet at once. No idea how it happened but I just kept aggravating it daily for many months. I did not even KNOW what PF was until two weeks ago. Just knew it hurt really badly to get up in the morning. Finally had pain all day and went to the doc. The pod pressed on the heel of my left foot and I almost knocked him out. He said, 'Oh, did that hurt?'....talk about an urge to kill! ROFL! I am using ice throughout the day and doing massage. Have also spent a fortune on good shoes. Have gotten a wealth of info from this site!

ChrisO on 6/05/00 at 22:01 (021394)

Folks, do you think Sue's 'instrument of torture' (I REALLY love that!) is Dr. Roth's inserts - 'Fabs', I think? I have some and that's what it sounds like. Sue, what you'll find here is a bunch of people who will probably say that, with most inserts, you have to sort of 'break them in'. Use them an hour the first day, 2 the second, and so on. Seems like Alan mentioned a while back that the process should take a good six weeks. However, you'll also read that many of us (me especially) totally hate orthotics, period. That could be because it's difficult to give them the long break-in period because they hurt. After all, you're making your feet do something they've never done before. So adding that soreness on top of the good ole' plantar fasciitis is just a rip-roarin' pain. Anyway, you should try to remove from your shoes existing arch stuff if you can - I actually went out and bought some Reeboks that supposedly were for 'normal' feet - no emphasis on arch support - so that the inserts and shoes would break-in together. Now, if the inserts were breakable, I'd break them in over my Chiro's head! He told me to 'push through' the pain! I already don't like your Doc - but if he's a Podiatrist he should know to take your pain seriously.

wendyn on 6/05/00 at 22:02 (021395)

Next time you just pick up one of those Birks and whack him upside the head with it - knock that silly smirk right off. I have not had one doctor poo-poo my birks. They all think that I should preferably be in orthotics but if Birks are the only thing I can wear they say to go with it.

Bob G. on 6/05/00 at 22:26 (021399)

I am shocked! Your Pod wants you to continue activities that hurt? Sue, you've got to take charge here. This is ridiculous.

I am not a doctor, but I would prescribe joining this message board and taking the rest of the day off! BG

Pauline on 6/06/00 at 05:55 (021415)

I know what you mean. Every time I visited a Pod my experience has
been 4 x-rays, the same wrap you mentioned that does not fit into
a shoe and causes pain, and a new pair of orthotics that needed to
be ordered. Thats why I changed to Orthopedic people because they never wrap nor order orthotics. I figures even though I wasn't any better I was 2 steps ahead.

I must admit Dr. Zuckerman on this board seems different than most
Pods but not to be mean spirited, I would love to know if he wears orthotics and how many of his patients treated for PF are made a pair of orthotics.

Nancy S. on 6/06/00 at 06:27 (021416)

Sue, another frustrating pod visit to add to our collection! This one sounds a bit all over the map. Resuming walking and shopping etc. as if nothing is wrong is, let's face it, crazy advice.
As for the Birks reaction, I've found that many people selling something -- docs, medical supply store people -- tend to smirk at Birks because They Don't Sell Them. It's the famous Birks Smirk, probably found the world over.
As for that arch pad, I've found, and it seems true from many many posts here, that everyone's arches are different and react differently to different amounts of pressure and support. A generic arch support, in my opinion, is probably going to be right for only a small percentage of people. You can get little foam pads that you can stick right in the arch of your shoes or on your orthotics and trim them as needed until they fit you, individually, just right. This makes a lot more sense to me. --Nancy

Sue on 6/06/00 at 13:58 (021436)

i agree with you. I was down to very little pain until the pod gave me this pad. Someone wrote and told me to build up to it gradually. Sounds like a good idea to me. this is really frustrating. First they tell you one thing, then they tell you another. I am just going to keep doing massage, wear the pad occasionally and wear good shoes all the time. That seems to be doing the trick. It really is trial and error....also, LOVED the Birks Smirks comment.....rofl