Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone had a bad experience with massage ball?

Posted by Beverly on 6/06/00 at 02:10 (021413)

Most of you have probably read my most recent sad tale. My pod seems quick to blame the massage ball (hard kind with nodules/size of golf ball) on my relapse and according to him 'torn adhesions.'

Has anyone had a bad experience with massage balls? Has anyone else tried the hard kind with pokey nodules? I think that must be very different from a soft tennis ball. I think the pod might be right about this massage ball as possible culprit. But the confusing thing is that I've been using it for weeks... sometimes more aggressively than other times, and I will admitt, I was going hard on it shortly before I heard the dreaded 'pop, pop, crunch' in my arch. In the past, it always felt good. In fact, it relieved pain. He says to toss it away.
Well, I'm going to take the safe approach and stop using it at least until I see the second opinion doctor.

Beverly

Re: Has anyone had a bad experience with massage ball?

Kim B. on 6/06/00 at 08:22 (021421)

Hi Beverly,

Was the massage ball designed to be used on the arches? If not, save it to use on whatever part of the body it was ment for. It it IS for arch use, maybe it's just not right for YOUR arches. Or, your technique was all wrong. I seriously doubt you will ever trust yourself to use that thing in just the right way again. I know I wouldn't let you near me with it! :-)

Even when your feet heel from this go round, you may be better off with one of those massage logs (roller thingie, on the front page of Scott's site). Come on, loose the cursed ball and get a log.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Has anyone had a bad experience with massage ball?

Kim B. on 6/06/00 at 08:22 (021421)

Hi Beverly,

Was the massage ball designed to be used on the arches? If not, save it to use on whatever part of the body it was ment for. It it IS for arch use, maybe it's just not right for YOUR arches. Or, your technique was all wrong. I seriously doubt you will ever trust yourself to use that thing in just the right way again. I know I wouldn't let you near me with it! :-)

Even when your feet heel from this go round, you may be better off with one of those massage logs (roller thingie, on the front page of Scott's site). Come on, loose the cursed ball and get a log.

Regards, Kim B.