Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I think I found a top sports orthopedic doc & my Walmart find

Posted by Beverly on 6/06/00 at 12:00 (021430)

I have hit my last straw with my pod! I called the store he's sending me to for the camboot (removable cast), and they said, 'What height does the script say?' Turns out they come in three heights, and so I have to wait until after lunch when the doc returns to even ask him which height.

By the way, have any of you worn one of these removable velcro cam boots? How hard is it to drive with one? I forgot to ask the doctor that.

My good news is that I found an orthedic Sports Med doc who specializes in the foot/ankle/knee. I don't know anything about him yet except his very impressive Yellow Pages ad. But listen to this:

*He's the Team doctor for our local university
*He graduated AOA (top ten in his class) and Phi Beta Cappa, Magna Cum Laude (I guess that was several degrees.)
* He is the author of an internally know medical text book on orthopedic rehab.
* He has a TV show (local)
* He is a clinical instructor at a well respected medical school
* He is Fellowship Trained for Lower Extremity. (What does 'Fellowship
Trained mean?)

Well, I don't know beans about the guy except from his ad, but he sounds like a big improvement over my pod. I'm in the process of trying to get an appointment with him.

I found something really good at Walmart when my sweet thing was getting me set up with supplies. They have folding bar stools in various heights - $10.00 - $20.00, depending on style. I bought a tall one that has a comfortable cushion for the kitchen (to cook and wash dishes) and another for my closet and bedroom to put away clothes.
So far, they are very comfortable. They come in several different colors. I wish I had bought more. Anyway, I have great compassion now for anyone who is stuck in a wheelchair. Most of us who use one use it for traveling about, but we can still walk around with effort. I don't know how someone who can't stand manages to brush their teeth or do dishes, because you can't get high enough in a wheelchair.

I had a good sleep last night. I'm not in any terrible pain this morning. Of course, I've not left my small house. Thank God, I could only afford a small house, and I have a yard the size of a postage stamp.

Beverly

Re: I think I found a top sports orthopedic doc & my Walmart find

Laurie R on 6/06/00 at 12:14 (021432)

Hi Beverly,
I am in one of these boot right now.Yes I can drive in it ,I could not drive in a hard cast .The good thing about this soft cast is you can take it off anytime you want.I wear mine all day and I take it off to sleep.I have a stick in my car and I find it real easy to drive but everyone is different so maybe you can try to see if you can drive first somewhere close. Have a good day Laurie R

Rosie A on 6/07/00 at 07:49 (021451)

I wore a removable cast for 5 weeks on my left foot (it was my worse foot) and was able to use my clutch with no problem. I don't know about the gas pedal. I wore mine all day and took it off at night as well. Then I put on my night splint. That boot earned me the name Franken Rosie from the guys at work. Good luck with your boot.

PS, my boot came to right below my knee, where is yours stopping at?

Re: to Rosie about my walking/removable cast

Beverly on 6/07/00 at 10:39 (021455)

Hi Rosie,

My boot is the short one. It stops about the mid-calf. I was given a choice, and I took that one, because I live in the sweltering humid South. Also, the PT guy who fitted me for it, said that most people go with the shorter one.

It is not comfortable. I know the goal is to immobilize my foot and ankle. I hope that works, because it has far less cushion than my quality running shoe. I actually have more heel/arch pain in the boot.
And I am even wearing a heel cup under my orthodics (which also go in the boot.)

I asked the guy who fitted me for this, if this was the usual procedure. He said that in general, pods put people in casts more than orthopedic guys do.

I have an appointment with a very popular orthopedic doctor who specializes in lower body/sports medicine, but I can't get in to see him until July. I'm told he is young, brilliant,
and aggressive. It's the same one I posted about earlier... top of his class... TV show, univeristy team doctor, ect.

Rosie, how are you doing now? What was your injury diagnosis?

Thanks for writing,
Beverly

Suzi D on 6/08/00 at 12:23 (021520)

I'm also in a 'boot'. And I also feel like Frankenstein, but, it's worth it. First time in months I've felt any type of relief from pain. I wear it all day and take it off when I get ready for bed and some relaxing. Mine is just below the knee and is getting easier every day to get into and manuver around in with the insole of my sneaker and heel gel inside of it. I can actually walk without tremendous pain (after the initial out-of-bed-gimps)until I get the temp.cast back on for the day. Going to Chicago this weekend with friends, and hope it works out down there. I'll be on it a lot and I'm a little scared. Been looking forward to this trip for a year and I wasn't going to miss it.

Laurie R on 6/06/00 at 12:14 (021432)

Hi Beverly,
I am in one of these boot right now.Yes I can drive in it ,I could not drive in a hard cast .The good thing about this soft cast is you can take it off anytime you want.I wear mine all day and I take it off to sleep.I have a stick in my car and I find it real easy to drive but everyone is different so maybe you can try to see if you can drive first somewhere close. Have a good day Laurie R

Rosie A on 6/07/00 at 07:49 (021451)

I wore a removable cast for 5 weeks on my left foot (it was my worse foot) and was able to use my clutch with no problem. I don't know about the gas pedal. I wore mine all day and took it off at night as well. Then I put on my night splint. That boot earned me the name Franken Rosie from the guys at work. Good luck with your boot.

PS, my boot came to right below my knee, where is yours stopping at?

Beverly on 6/07/00 at 10:39 (021455)

Hi Rosie,

My boot is the short one. It stops about the mid-calf. I was given a choice, and I took that one, because I live in the sweltering humid South. Also, the PT guy who fitted me for it, said that most people go with the shorter one.

It is not comfortable. I know the goal is to immobilize my foot and ankle. I hope that works, because it has far less cushion than my quality running shoe. I actually have more heel/arch pain in the boot.
And I am even wearing a heel cup under my orthodics (which also go in the boot.)

I asked the guy who fitted me for this, if this was the usual procedure. He said that in general, pods put people in casts more than orthopedic guys do.

I have an appointment with a very popular orthopedic doctor who specializes in lower body/sports medicine, but I can't get in to see him until July. I'm told he is young, brilliant,
and aggressive. It's the same one I posted about earlier... top of his class... TV show, univeristy team doctor, ect.

Rosie, how are you doing now? What was your injury diagnosis?

Thanks for writing,
Beverly

Suzi D on 6/08/00 at 12:23 (021520)

I'm also in a 'boot'. And I also feel like Frankenstein, but, it's worth it. First time in months I've felt any type of relief from pain. I wear it all day and take it off when I get ready for bed and some relaxing. Mine is just below the knee and is getting easier every day to get into and manuver around in with the insole of my sneaker and heel gel inside of it. I can actually walk without tremendous pain (after the initial out-of-bed-gimps)until I get the temp.cast back on for the day. Going to Chicago this weekend with friends, and hope it works out down there. I'll be on it a lot and I'm a little scared. Been looking forward to this trip for a year and I wasn't going to miss it.