Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

long time sufferer finally found a forum

Posted by Larry D on 6/07/00 at 22:05 (021480)

hi, Ive been suffering from what is now been diagnosed as PF (cant pronounce it, damned if Im gonna spell it), for about 2 yrs now. One Dr told me it was a heel spur and said nothing else about it other than cortisone injections. Well, the next day it felt great, and did for about 6 weeks. Another Dr visit=another injection. He never told me of the long term effects or other options for getting rid of the pain. After 2 more injections over time, he finally said I could not get anymore, and my optins were orthotics (my ins wont cover it, and my ex gets too much of my $$ now, Im broke),physical therapy, and surgery, neither of which was guaranteed. Word of mouth directed me to a Dr. David in Woodbury.(sorry Dr.Z) She actually took an interest in my problem, and even took an xray, imagine that. the first doc didnt seem to think he needed one. Well the xray didnt show a spur, so she diagnosed it as PF (theres that word again). Gave me a whirpool bath (just my foot folks), ultrasound treatment and strapping (as she calls it). I walked out of the office a new man, due to the treatment, however it was temporary, and due mostly to the strapping. I have since learned (self taught) to tape my foot up myself, and have some success with it, but I realy really want a long term cure for this nagging problem(who doesnt right?). Dr Z: read your ad in the newspaper today and thought about calling for an appt, but wanted to do some self research on the Net first,which lead me to this board. From what Ive read so far, it appears that my insurance(Personal Choice) would not cover this treatment, which leaves me up the proverbial creek.
Well, thats my story and Im sticking to it, sorry for being so long winded, I get carried away sometimes. Good luck to everyone.

Re: long time sufferer finally found a forum

Nancy S. on 6/07/00 at 22:36 (021482)

Hi Larry -- Ya, stick to your story; our stories are about the only predictable thing re: PF (plantar fasciitis). It sounds like you've been through quite a run-around for 2 years, especially with your first doc, who sounds like he might be my ex-pod's twin brother. Your second does sound more professional. But, after two years, I don't blame you if you feel impatient for some real answers.
I think you can get more specific advice here if we have a bit more info. What exactly are your symptoms? (E.g., do you have the morning pain, and where is your pain?) What kind of shoes do you wear? (Very important -- probably more important than orthotics.) Have you tried the night splint, any stretching or strengthening exercises, lengthy rest? How functional are you at this point? Are you considering ESWT? It might be a good bet, if you have a typical PF case (Dr. Z. can answer to this).
I'm glad you found this board. I've had PF for over a year now, and the first 8 months were hell -- until I found this board. I would say I've now improved up to about 70%. Still working on it, but much more hopeful now after many months of pain and depression and inability to do much in the way of daily life activities, let alone work. I'm actually getting back to working now, with time and other limitations, but it's going way better than I thought it ever would only several short months ago.
Let us hear more from you, and welcome to the board -- I hope it helps you as much as it has me. --Nancy S.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/07/00 at 23:25 (021489)

Hi, Larry. nice to have someone from the Woodbury area. Why don't you try an over the counter insert before an orthosis if the tapping helped you . I do have a insert called powersteps it costs about $35
has a life time guarantee ( breakage). and a thirty day return if not happy. You don't have to be my patient to get this just call the office (848-3338) and tell them you size pick it up try it out return it if not working. There are other inserts that Scott recommends that you can also look at on this site. Go to the product section. Go over the sections on how to stretch your lower leg and foot muscles. There is a good section about stretching under the personal trainer from Mike W.

Bob G. on 6/08/00 at 00:43 (021495)

Hello Larry,

It sounds like you may have a better than 50/50 shot at curing this yourself. Take Dr. Z's advice (we think he's smart).

I am wearing Birkenstock FuBbett arch supports, also about $35 and had success with simple wall stretches my first time around with this PF pain. It worked for me then. Now, I wished I'd kept up with the stretching when I was well.

Best of luck!

Larry D on 6/09/00 at 20:44 (021592)

Thanx for the comments and the feedback...Dr.Z I have tried the Spenko inserts and another brand that I dont know the name of. I was not familiar with the stretching exercises and will look into it. I am almost constantly on my feet at work, I drive a truck, having to load and unload, inside deliveries, mall deliveries etc. So there is also alot of walking involved. I am not permitted to wear sneakers, but found a relatively comfy pair of work shoes (Thom McCann)from K-Mart and the price is good too. At home I wear New Balance walking shoes. I have tried Knapp Shoes, Sears, etc etc. and the main problem I found is most are too wide. I wear a size 11 or 12(depending on fit)but do not really have a wide foot, so finding correctly fitting shoes is a hassle.Also might add that I am not obese, only being 20 lbs overweight and I am in my late 40's. Dr.Z, how do your inserts compare to Spenko's? Ohh, I also wear a gel cup under the inserts I am using now, and a foam rubber pad on top of all this. The pain is bad in the morning, and it is mostly to teh side of the heel,but also on the bottom, depending on my daily activity that day. Vioxx and or Ibuprofen seems to relieve teh pain, or at least make it bearable, temporarily. Thanx again for the feedback.....Larry

Nancy S. on 6/07/00 at 22:36 (021482)

Hi Larry -- Ya, stick to your story; our stories are about the only predictable thing re: PF (plantar fasciitis). It sounds like you've been through quite a run-around for 2 years, especially with your first doc, who sounds like he might be my ex-pod's twin brother. Your second does sound more professional. But, after two years, I don't blame you if you feel impatient for some real answers.
I think you can get more specific advice here if we have a bit more info. What exactly are your symptoms? (E.g., do you have the morning pain, and where is your pain?) What kind of shoes do you wear? (Very important -- probably more important than orthotics.) Have you tried the night splint, any stretching or strengthening exercises, lengthy rest? How functional are you at this point? Are you considering ESWT? It might be a good bet, if you have a typical PF case (Dr. Z. can answer to this).
I'm glad you found this board. I've had PF for over a year now, and the first 8 months were hell -- until I found this board. I would say I've now improved up to about 70%. Still working on it, but much more hopeful now after many months of pain and depression and inability to do much in the way of daily life activities, let alone work. I'm actually getting back to working now, with time and other limitations, but it's going way better than I thought it ever would only several short months ago.
Let us hear more from you, and welcome to the board -- I hope it helps you as much as it has me. --Nancy S.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/07/00 at 23:25 (021489)

Hi, Larry. nice to have someone from the Woodbury area. Why don't you try an over the counter insert before an orthosis if the tapping helped you . I do have a insert called powersteps it costs about $35
has a life time guarantee ( breakage). and a thirty day return if not happy. You don't have to be my patient to get this just call the office (848-3338) and tell them you size pick it up try it out return it if not working. There are other inserts that Scott recommends that you can also look at on this site. Go to the product section. Go over the sections on how to stretch your lower leg and foot muscles. There is a good section about stretching under the personal trainer from Mike W.

Bob G. on 6/08/00 at 00:43 (021495)

Hello Larry,

It sounds like you may have a better than 50/50 shot at curing this yourself. Take Dr. Z's advice (we think he's smart).

I am wearing Birkenstock FuBbett arch supports, also about $35 and had success with simple wall stretches my first time around with this PF pain. It worked for me then. Now, I wished I'd kept up with the stretching when I was well.

Best of luck!

Larry D on 6/09/00 at 20:44 (021592)

Thanx for the comments and the feedback...Dr.Z I have tried the Spenko inserts and another brand that I dont know the name of. I was not familiar with the stretching exercises and will look into it. I am almost constantly on my feet at work, I drive a truck, having to load and unload, inside deliveries, mall deliveries etc. So there is also alot of walking involved. I am not permitted to wear sneakers, but found a relatively comfy pair of work shoes (Thom McCann)from K-Mart and the price is good too. At home I wear New Balance walking shoes. I have tried Knapp Shoes, Sears, etc etc. and the main problem I found is most are too wide. I wear a size 11 or 12(depending on fit)but do not really have a wide foot, so finding correctly fitting shoes is a hassle.Also might add that I am not obese, only being 20 lbs overweight and I am in my late 40's. Dr.Z, how do your inserts compare to Spenko's? Ohh, I also wear a gel cup under the inserts I am using now, and a foam rubber pad on top of all this. The pain is bad in the morning, and it is mostly to teh side of the heel,but also on the bottom, depending on my daily activity that day. Vioxx and or Ibuprofen seems to relieve teh pain, or at least make it bearable, temporarily. Thanx again for the feedback.....Larry