Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is known about the success of walking boot/side effects?

Posted by Beverly on 6/07/00 at 22:13 (021481)

I've probably asked nintey zillion questions now, and I appreciate all you 'veterans' out there. How successful is the walking boot for PF?
What are the side effects? As many of you know, I just got mine, and I'm not finding it to feel good. But I've only been in it one day.
I want to go to the new pod's office tomorrow with some intelligent info. and questions about this boot.

So far, besides being more aware of heel/arch pain, I've noticed that The boot makes me have that 'pins & needles' tingling effect (off and on) - mostly on top of my foot. I've loosened the straps a bit to see if I just had them pulled too tight. (But I was told by the boot fitter they need to be tight.) I also feel a burning feeling. (It's the burning I get after I have been walking in my running shoes for way too long.) But my running shoes don't usually cause this effect just walking around the house or sitting unless I'm having a very bad day. It's almost like my foot is trying to go numb... not quite numb but sort of. My own completely uneducated guess is that this is effecting circulation. But my boot stops at mid-calf, just above the ankle, and I was told that would be unlikely to cause circulation problems. Plus, my calf feels fine. This weird feeling is in the foot.

Also, it's not doing my back any favors, but it's a big improvement over crutches.

I had that tingling effect when I first got my orthodics, and it went away. But I don't recall the orthodics causing the tingling effect on top nor did they cause a burning feeling.

For those of you who have worn a walking boot, did you have any of these symptoms?

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: What is known about the success of walking boot/side effects?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/07/00 at 23:17 (021488)

The velcro straps need to have padding. Usually there is foam padding that comes with the boots to pad areas of irritation. These pads come in addition to any padding already in the boot. What is the name of the company that makes your boot.

Re: In Answer to Dr. Z's questions

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 00:05 (021490)

Hi Doctor Z!

The boot is made by HiTop. It is 'Hi Top II Fixed Ankle Boot.'
I picked that height, because I was given a choice, and I'm down here in the sweltering, humid South. (Plus, safer for circulation.) I have one layer of padding (came with little pads in different sizes) under the velcrow straps going over the top of my foot. (And I'm wearing my orthodics and using a heel cup.) Is there anyway to damage the foot more in the boot? Why does my foot feel better in my athletic shoes?

Also, I sent you an email with my address for the socks, but my email box says I had a 'fatal error' while sending it. I'll try it again.

Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/08/00 at 19:46 (021543)

My e-mail is footcare@home.com The foot shouldn't feel better in your shoe. If it does then you wear the shoe. I still think the gel shocks could do some good except for the heat. At one time when I first got the socks I got them out to my outside postal workers they loved them but the heat is too much with them. Still will send them to you. for the winter.

Re: What is known about the success of walking boot/side effects?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/07/00 at 23:17 (021488)

The velcro straps need to have padding. Usually there is foam padding that comes with the boots to pad areas of irritation. These pads come in addition to any padding already in the boot. What is the name of the company that makes your boot.

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 00:05 (021490)

Hi Doctor Z!

The boot is made by HiTop. It is 'Hi Top II Fixed Ankle Boot.'
I picked that height, because I was given a choice, and I'm down here in the sweltering, humid South. (Plus, safer for circulation.) I have one layer of padding (came with little pads in different sizes) under the velcrow straps going over the top of my foot. (And I'm wearing my orthodics and using a heel cup.) Is there anyway to damage the foot more in the boot? Why does my foot feel better in my athletic shoes?

Also, I sent you an email with my address for the socks, but my email box says I had a 'fatal error' while sending it. I'll try it again.

Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/08/00 at 19:46 (021543)

My e-mail is footcare@home.com The foot shouldn't feel better in your shoe. If it does then you wear the shoe. I still think the gel shocks could do some good except for the heat. At one time when I first got the socks I got them out to my outside postal workers they loved them but the heat is too much with them. Still will send them to you. for the winter.