Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Pod visit

Posted by Brenda K on 6/07/00 at 22:54 (021485)

I finally broke down and saw a Pod yesterday. I am so glad I was well informed about PF from this site, I knew everything he was talking about. My husband went along. He had thought that if it was a heel spur, they could just go in cut it off and be done with it. My explaining never did any good. So He heard about the whole PF thing from the Pod himself. The x-ray showed no visible heelspur, but his exam was very thorough, outlined four possible treatments, custom orthotics, physical therapy, cortisone shots, surgery(very seldom used and not very successful as we all know from this site). He seemed to be very well informed. I went in with my symptoms typewritten, so I wouldn't forget anything, and included the address of this site. He even said he checks internet sites occasionally. For starters, he taped my foot, to leave on for three days, off for three days and see him again next week. Let him know if the taping helped. Then probably start with over-the-counter inserts first (cheapest route) then move to custom orthotics if necessary. The tape feels great! I only wish I had had him tape both feet!

Re: First Pod visit

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 00:25 (021493)

Brenda,

Most people seem to get over PF in a few months; so realize we are mostly the 'bad cases,' but I CAN'T STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET AND REST AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE SO YOU DON'T JOIN OUR CLUB.

I wish I had rested more. (I thought I was resting enough but in retrospect I wasn't.) I also wish I had spent the money on custom orthodics from the beginning. Everyone will have a different opinion about orthodics/inserts. It really depends on your feet. My personal favorite over-the-counter inserts are the 'Green SuperFeet.'

Staying in good quality athletic shoes also helped me. (Go to a store where they know what they're doing.) Call the pod and some PT's for their favorite store. The superstores are full of kids who don't know beans about shoes.

ALSO, GOING BAREFOOTED IS A VERY BAD IDEA. My doctor didn't tell me that. I learned it on the board, and later I asked him about it. He confirmed that 'barefootedness' is very bad. I keep shower shoes in the bathroom.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a mild case.

Beverly

Bob G. on 6/08/00 at 00:32 (021494)

Good luck, Brenda! Sounds like you might get through this ordeal without surgery or long-term pain.

There is a lot of information on this site that may help you avoid unnecessary pain and inconvenience.

Keep us posted!

john h on 6/08/00 at 09:09 (021502)

agree with brenda in that recognizing PF early on and treating it with rest and all the other usual treatments will cure the great majority of people. i personally was a runner and did not recognize my problem and continued to run until it became chronic and now i am a fixture on this board. i suspect most of the chronic cases on this board are type A people or people who are forced to be on their feet all day.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/08/00 at 19:42 (021542)

I guess if I had to pick one treatment besides alot of rest if would be stretching with a boot cast for six weeks. The type of boot cast that you can remove at bed and when sitting for periods of time. You could be throw in physical therapy . But the boot cast will rest the foot . So eary treatment is a must.

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 00:25 (021493)

Brenda,

Most people seem to get over PF in a few months; so realize we are mostly the 'bad cases,' but I CAN'T STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET AND REST AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE SO YOU DON'T JOIN OUR CLUB.

I wish I had rested more. (I thought I was resting enough but in retrospect I wasn't.) I also wish I had spent the money on custom orthodics from the beginning. Everyone will have a different opinion about orthodics/inserts. It really depends on your feet. My personal favorite over-the-counter inserts are the 'Green SuperFeet.'

Staying in good quality athletic shoes also helped me. (Go to a store where they know what they're doing.) Call the pod and some PT's for their favorite store. The superstores are full of kids who don't know beans about shoes.

ALSO, GOING BAREFOOTED IS A VERY BAD IDEA. My doctor didn't tell me that. I learned it on the board, and later I asked him about it. He confirmed that 'barefootedness' is very bad. I keep shower shoes in the bathroom.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a mild case.

Beverly

Bob G. on 6/08/00 at 00:32 (021494)

Good luck, Brenda! Sounds like you might get through this ordeal without surgery or long-term pain.

There is a lot of information on this site that may help you avoid unnecessary pain and inconvenience.

Keep us posted!

john h on 6/08/00 at 09:09 (021502)

agree with brenda in that recognizing PF early on and treating it with rest and all the other usual treatments will cure the great majority of people. i personally was a runner and did not recognize my problem and continued to run until it became chronic and now i am a fixture on this board. i suspect most of the chronic cases on this board are type A people or people who are forced to be on their feet all day.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/08/00 at 19:42 (021542)

I guess if I had to pick one treatment besides alot of rest if would be stretching with a boot cast for six weeks. The type of boot cast that you can remove at bed and when sitting for periods of time. You could be throw in physical therapy . But the boot cast will rest the foot . So eary treatment is a must.