Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm back. Actually, I never left. Vacation ruined.

Posted by Kim B. on 6/08/00 at 09:38 (021505)

We never even made it to the Airport. When we were leaving the house to catch our plane, I bent over to kiss our family dog (rottwieller) on the top of his head and he bit my face. Went to the ER. 9 stitches to my right cheek, very deep 2 inch wound. Luckily, no major nerves were damaged.

Our dog, is going to be 'put down' (the dog is a repeat offender.) My husband has had the dog 12 years, and we are all heart broken, but we know we have to do what is best for everyone's saftey. Besides, the dog has a lot of medical problems (arthritis, muscle atropies,) and his 'quality of life' isn't very good anymore. We were hoping to let him die of natural causes. Instead of being able to get that dirty job 'overwith' we have to quarantine him for 10 days to watch for signs of rabies. He is here at the house, locked up in the guest bedroom (so my son can play in the backyard if he wants to). My husband takes him out a few times a day. I'm afraid to go near him, he might smell my fear. My son being near him is completly out of the question, of course.

My face, well, it may have seen it's better years. For future reference... If you have wound to the face, it may be a good idea to insist that the ER call the Plastic Surgeon on call to sew you up. At this point, I wish I had. The MD did a nice job, but it will probably leave a scar, and I will have to have what is called a 'scar revision' in about three months if I want to minimize the scaring. It would have been smarter to just have a plastic surgeon do it in the first place.

The trip has been postponed indefinately. We lost a little money on the airfair cause we can't give them a definate re-ticketing date at the moment.

I'm OK, though still a little depressed and disappointed over the whole screwed up situation. 'If only' I had waved goodbye to the dog and kept walking. Amazing how one moment in time can have such devastation effects.

Scott, I know this has nothing to do with foot pain, but if someone can benifit from knowing what happened to me, it is worth a scolding from you.

Regards to all, Kim B.

Re: I'm back. Actually, I never left. Vacation ruined.

ChrisO on 6/08/00 at 10:21 (021506)

Kim oh Kim oh Kim - you certainly don't need this! What a strange and bazare thing to happen to you. You must be in some serious pain. I've often heard that plastic surgeons are called in routinely, even in the ER, for that kind of injury. I'm surprised that didn't take place for you.

And how devistating to have to put your pet down - but certainly the 'right' thing to do. We had our little family cat for over 14 years when we were forced to put her down - I thought my heart was breaking in two with that experience.

Meanwhile, what with you and Beverly both having to cancel, I've becoome just a little worried about my own vacation slated to begin next Wednesday! My fingers are staying crossed and my best wishes are there for you and recovery - take GOOD care of that wound!

VickiJ on 6/08/00 at 12:54 (021521)

Oh my gosh!!!! What a bizarre, heartbreaking thing all the way around! I'm so sorry you had to go thru all that....is it possible that the airline won't penalize you with proof from the doctors that you were in the emergency room? If they had a heart they'd give you free tickets to your favorite destination.

Susan S on 6/08/00 at 14:15 (021523)

Bless Your Heart! I agree that you should contact the airlines offering proof that you were under emergency care.

But what I really wanted to tell you is to go ahead and see a plastic surgeon. Even though I doubt he can restitch you at this point, he may have some very valuable information on caring for the wound. I had some 'work' done and was instructed not to allow the incisions to scab over and it would heal smoother and be less of a scar. It probably took longer to heal but the scars are very slight. I strongly recommend that you at least call and talk to one. You may be suprised by what he tells you.

BTW Please, no contest to guess what I had done, Bob. Just call me Perky.

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 16:32 (021528)

Kim,

I am so sorry. I feel for you right now... My heart goes out to you.

That is awful to have to put your dog down. Had he had all his shots?

Kim, right now, life must feel very unfair. Don't worry too much about the scar. I had a bad car wreck in my 20's. I had an awful scar on my face since I was sewed up by a regular GP. But a year later, I had plastic surgery, and today, you can just barely see that scar even without makeup. Makeup hides it completely. I have to look for it to see it. Do you have insurance?

About the plane tickets. I just went through this. I was told that with nonrefundable tickets you can exchange them for another ticket but there is a loss. With refundable tickets, I think you get to keep more of the ticket value. A letter from your doctor, might get you a complete refund. It's worth a try. Every airline probably has a different policy.

Being a spiritual person, I tend to think things happen for a reason. It is possible that had you gone on your trip, something far worse might have happened. That is one of the ways I have coped with my own failed trip. I have convinced myself that God zapped me home in my injured state to spare me from some horrible fate like going off the side of the mountain in the jeep or having a car wreck on narrow mountain roads.

You are in my prayers and thoughts,
Beverly

Kim B. on 6/08/00 at 18:23 (021536)

I appreciate your kind thoughts, moral support and info regarding the scaring situation.

Delta airlines says they handle these kinds of situations on a case by case basis. They said they might be willing to for-go the Reticketing Fee (of $75 per ticket, x 2 in this case) with the doctor's note, IF I were able to tell them what date I will travel on. I can't anwer that question right now. Some things are still 'up in the air.' I think we will attempt the trip again in the fall.

Yes, we have medical insurance. However, cosmetic surgery at a later date may be considered optional and we may have to cover it out of pocket. That's why I wish I had a Plastic Surgeon do it at the ER. His fees would have been bundled in with the other stuff, but more importantly, it would have be overwith.

Yes, the dog is up to date on his shots, but, we still have to quarantine him for 10 days. If we don't, we would have to have his head chopped off and sent to Austin, TX (State Capital) to have his brain tested for rabies. (GROSS!) We don't want to do that. They offered to quarentine him at the shelter of course, but, since it's his last days, we wanted to make him semi-comfortable.

Vicki, I like the way you think, but they've made no such offers!

Susan, my brother gave me the same advice, and so I did call around, got vibes on who the best plastic surgeon in the area is, and spoke to his assistant. They said at this point, give it 3 months, and come in for a consult, and if necessary, have a scar revision done. There is a greater risk of infection with animal bites, (cats more than dogs, and on the hands more than faces, btw,) so in this case, since it's doing well, it's a 'let sleeping dogs lie approach', no pun intended! The nurse at the ER gave me the same no scabbing advice. I'm taking real good care of it. The Plastic Surgerons assistant recommended vitamin E once it's closed up good. I'm on antibiotics, clean it twice a day with soap and water, 50% peroxide, and keep neosporin on it for now. They stressed notletting it get sunburned during the next six months too. The stitches come out on Sunday. Yes, I certianly will be marching my self back down to the ER to let them take them out On SUNDAY. They really ugly up the situation and they itch quite a bit.

Yes Beverly, all things happen for a reason. If me taking this bite keeps my son from getting bit, that's good enough for me. And you're right, no telling what worse fate this may have been to keep me away from.

The face only hurts minimally, where as my arm that got the tectnis shot hurt really bad for a couple of days. It is much better today.

Take care gang, my feet are still doing well, thank God!

Regards, Kim B.

Stephanie S. on 6/08/00 at 22:02 (021552)

I'm still sitting here with my mouth wide opened. I can't believe
such a thing happened. I truely feel for you. I know your worried
about the scarring right now. But I promise...over time...it will
hardley be noticeable. My 2 yr old ( yes, the accident prone one)
has had 2 sets of stitches on her face. The first was caused by her
pulling out the Bissel and pretending to talk through the metal
tube. Although I saw her walking down the hallway doing this ..I
could not get to her in time. I thank god everyday that I have a
Pediatrician for a nieghbor. Within a month ( No joke ) she was in
the shower with my 7 yr old. I'm thinking...she's fine...how in the
world could she possibly hurt herself in there. Within minutes..I hear
screaming. She leaned on the shower door..it opened..and she slashed her face on the metal tracking. O course both times my husband is out of town...and I call screaming for my neighbor to come help. Bless
her heart...both times she went to the ER with me and stayed with
us both until the stitching was completed. Strange...you always
think the obvious will be the things to injure your children. But
sometimes..it's the everyday things..you just don't think about.
The same nurses , same doctors, same surgeon sewed her up again.
Sorry for such the long post. I guess what I was trying to get at
is...you really hardly notice where the stitches once were. And I
understand how important it is to you. My neighbors child was biten
by a dog on the face 2 yrs ago. I had to ask her to point it out to
me...because I couldn't see it. She took 19 stitches in her cheek.
You'll know more in a yr or so. Keep taking that pain medicine. I'll
be thinking of you. I'm still doing okay with the 'feet'. Have good
days and bad. Don't post much but still like to read to keep up
with how everyone's doing. Haven't heard from Salina..in case anyone's
wondering. Steph

Kim B. on 6/09/00 at 08:44 (021564)

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the input. I am optimistic that this will someday be little more than a bad memory. And, I know what you mean about taking the kids to the ER. Don't you just hate that? I've had to take my son 3 times in his 4 year life span. (1. Fell hard on the top of his head., 2. Needed a couple of stiches below the eye., 3. Asthma attack.) You got a pediatrition next door? What luck! I got a teacher... that should come in handy somewhere along the way.

I have wondered about Salina. Hope she is doing OK. She is a super nice gal. And, I'm so glad that you're feet are on the mend too. My feet are still on the mending track, and that is a huge blessing, as you know!

I remember, I was so deeply depressed when I realized 'it' was 'PF', and I may have 'it' forever or at least a very long time. Actually, I have had it for a long time, but I ignored it for about the first 6 months. It's been a total of 16 months all together now. I am still very careful not to do anything that will cause a set back. I guess I will always be 'gaurded' where my feet are concerned.

Anyway Steph, thanks for posting, keep in touch and take care of those feet and babies!

Regards, Kim B.

ChrisO on 6/08/00 at 10:21 (021506)

Kim oh Kim oh Kim - you certainly don't need this! What a strange and bazare thing to happen to you. You must be in some serious pain. I've often heard that plastic surgeons are called in routinely, even in the ER, for that kind of injury. I'm surprised that didn't take place for you.

And how devistating to have to put your pet down - but certainly the 'right' thing to do. We had our little family cat for over 14 years when we were forced to put her down - I thought my heart was breaking in two with that experience.

Meanwhile, what with you and Beverly both having to cancel, I've becoome just a little worried about my own vacation slated to begin next Wednesday! My fingers are staying crossed and my best wishes are there for you and recovery - take GOOD care of that wound!

VickiJ on 6/08/00 at 12:54 (021521)

Oh my gosh!!!! What a bizarre, heartbreaking thing all the way around! I'm so sorry you had to go thru all that....is it possible that the airline won't penalize you with proof from the doctors that you were in the emergency room? If they had a heart they'd give you free tickets to your favorite destination.

Susan S on 6/08/00 at 14:15 (021523)

Bless Your Heart! I agree that you should contact the airlines offering proof that you were under emergency care.

But what I really wanted to tell you is to go ahead and see a plastic surgeon. Even though I doubt he can restitch you at this point, he may have some very valuable information on caring for the wound. I had some 'work' done and was instructed not to allow the incisions to scab over and it would heal smoother and be less of a scar. It probably took longer to heal but the scars are very slight. I strongly recommend that you at least call and talk to one. You may be suprised by what he tells you.

BTW Please, no contest to guess what I had done, Bob. Just call me Perky.

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 16:32 (021528)

Kim,

I am so sorry. I feel for you right now... My heart goes out to you.

That is awful to have to put your dog down. Had he had all his shots?

Kim, right now, life must feel very unfair. Don't worry too much about the scar. I had a bad car wreck in my 20's. I had an awful scar on my face since I was sewed up by a regular GP. But a year later, I had plastic surgery, and today, you can just barely see that scar even without makeup. Makeup hides it completely. I have to look for it to see it. Do you have insurance?

About the plane tickets. I just went through this. I was told that with nonrefundable tickets you can exchange them for another ticket but there is a loss. With refundable tickets, I think you get to keep more of the ticket value. A letter from your doctor, might get you a complete refund. It's worth a try. Every airline probably has a different policy.

Being a spiritual person, I tend to think things happen for a reason. It is possible that had you gone on your trip, something far worse might have happened. That is one of the ways I have coped with my own failed trip. I have convinced myself that God zapped me home in my injured state to spare me from some horrible fate like going off the side of the mountain in the jeep or having a car wreck on narrow mountain roads.

You are in my prayers and thoughts,
Beverly

Kim B. on 6/08/00 at 18:23 (021536)

I appreciate your kind thoughts, moral support and info regarding the scaring situation.

Delta airlines says they handle these kinds of situations on a case by case basis. They said they might be willing to for-go the Reticketing Fee (of $75 per ticket, x 2 in this case) with the doctor's note, IF I were able to tell them what date I will travel on. I can't anwer that question right now. Some things are still 'up in the air.' I think we will attempt the trip again in the fall.

Yes, we have medical insurance. However, cosmetic surgery at a later date may be considered optional and we may have to cover it out of pocket. That's why I wish I had a Plastic Surgeon do it at the ER. His fees would have been bundled in with the other stuff, but more importantly, it would have be overwith.

Yes, the dog is up to date on his shots, but, we still have to quarantine him for 10 days. If we don't, we would have to have his head chopped off and sent to Austin, TX (State Capital) to have his brain tested for rabies. (GROSS!) We don't want to do that. They offered to quarentine him at the shelter of course, but, since it's his last days, we wanted to make him semi-comfortable.

Vicki, I like the way you think, but they've made no such offers!

Susan, my brother gave me the same advice, and so I did call around, got vibes on who the best plastic surgeon in the area is, and spoke to his assistant. They said at this point, give it 3 months, and come in for a consult, and if necessary, have a scar revision done. There is a greater risk of infection with animal bites, (cats more than dogs, and on the hands more than faces, btw,) so in this case, since it's doing well, it's a 'let sleeping dogs lie approach', no pun intended! The nurse at the ER gave me the same no scabbing advice. I'm taking real good care of it. The Plastic Surgerons assistant recommended vitamin E once it's closed up good. I'm on antibiotics, clean it twice a day with soap and water, 50% peroxide, and keep neosporin on it for now. They stressed notletting it get sunburned during the next six months too. The stitches come out on Sunday. Yes, I certianly will be marching my self back down to the ER to let them take them out On SUNDAY. They really ugly up the situation and they itch quite a bit.

Yes Beverly, all things happen for a reason. If me taking this bite keeps my son from getting bit, that's good enough for me. And you're right, no telling what worse fate this may have been to keep me away from.

The face only hurts minimally, where as my arm that got the tectnis shot hurt really bad for a couple of days. It is much better today.

Take care gang, my feet are still doing well, thank God!

Regards, Kim B.

Stephanie S. on 6/08/00 at 22:02 (021552)

I'm still sitting here with my mouth wide opened. I can't believe
such a thing happened. I truely feel for you. I know your worried
about the scarring right now. But I promise...over time...it will
hardley be noticeable. My 2 yr old ( yes, the accident prone one)
has had 2 sets of stitches on her face. The first was caused by her
pulling out the Bissel and pretending to talk through the metal
tube. Although I saw her walking down the hallway doing this ..I
could not get to her in time. I thank god everyday that I have a
Pediatrician for a nieghbor. Within a month ( No joke ) she was in
the shower with my 7 yr old. I'm thinking...she's fine...how in the
world could she possibly hurt herself in there. Within minutes..I hear
screaming. She leaned on the shower door..it opened..and she slashed her face on the metal tracking. O course both times my husband is out of town...and I call screaming for my neighbor to come help. Bless
her heart...both times she went to the ER with me and stayed with
us both until the stitching was completed. Strange...you always
think the obvious will be the things to injure your children. But
sometimes..it's the everyday things..you just don't think about.
The same nurses , same doctors, same surgeon sewed her up again.
Sorry for such the long post. I guess what I was trying to get at
is...you really hardly notice where the stitches once were. And I
understand how important it is to you. My neighbors child was biten
by a dog on the face 2 yrs ago. I had to ask her to point it out to
me...because I couldn't see it. She took 19 stitches in her cheek.
You'll know more in a yr or so. Keep taking that pain medicine. I'll
be thinking of you. I'm still doing okay with the 'feet'. Have good
days and bad. Don't post much but still like to read to keep up
with how everyone's doing. Haven't heard from Salina..in case anyone's
wondering. Steph

Kim B. on 6/09/00 at 08:44 (021564)

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the input. I am optimistic that this will someday be little more than a bad memory. And, I know what you mean about taking the kids to the ER. Don't you just hate that? I've had to take my son 3 times in his 4 year life span. (1. Fell hard on the top of his head., 2. Needed a couple of stiches below the eye., 3. Asthma attack.) You got a pediatrition next door? What luck! I got a teacher... that should come in handy somewhere along the way.

I have wondered about Salina. Hope she is doing OK. She is a super nice gal. And, I'm so glad that you're feet are on the mend too. My feet are still on the mending track, and that is a huge blessing, as you know!

I remember, I was so deeply depressed when I realized 'it' was 'PF', and I may have 'it' forever or at least a very long time. Actually, I have had it for a long time, but I ignored it for about the first 6 months. It's been a total of 16 months all together now. I am still very careful not to do anything that will cause a set back. I guess I will always be 'gaurded' where my feet are concerned.

Anyway Steph, thanks for posting, keep in touch and take care of those feet and babies!

Regards, Kim B.