Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

skunks need names too.....

Posted by ChrisO on 6/08/00 at 11:39 (021513)

Got back late last nite to find a mama skunk and her three babies living under our back deck!

They need names.

Re: skunks need names too.....

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 16:38 (021530)

Chris,

Call animal control to get those skunks. The last thing you need is to have the stress of getting sprayed and taking a bath in tomato juice or worse yet, getting bitten or having your kids bitten and going through painful rabies shots. That's what animal control is there for.

But I'm a city girl. To me, wild animals are dogs walking the street with no collar.

I may sound heartless. I guess we could name them before they are sent off to skunk heaven.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 6/08/00 at 18:05 (021532)

Chris (but when do we change your name?), I personally would name the mother Maggie, and the three kid skunks Peaches, Scout, and Spotless. --Nancy

Re: now...........

JudyS on 6/08/00 at 18:13 (021534)

Well Nancy, given that LaurieR got very clever very early, I now have time on my hands so let me introduce myself to the rest of our crowd......I'm Judy, pleased to meet you!

Do you remember that I was fed up with my orthotics last week so gave them up? My arch pain is at least 65% better this week. Hmmmmm. Did you ever go back to using your orthotics?

'Peaches, Scout, & Spotless' are perfect. I may have trouble with 'Maggie' because that's the name of an acquaintance who left her family to go marry a fella she found on the internet.......I'm still having trouble with that and it wasn't even MY family!

Re: oops.......

JudyS on 6/08/00 at 18:20 (021535)

sorry you guys..........I didn't make the cross-reference in my introduction! I'm Judy - formerly known as ChrisO! Chris is my son's name and the O comes from O'Neil - Neil is my other son's name and his friends call him O'Neill from the surfing logo.

john h on 6/08/00 at 19:01 (021538)

i have two mama raccoons and about 7 babies that eat cat food in my back yard each night. also a couple of oppussum and the cats, coons, and oppossum have all eaten out of the same bowl at the same time.

Chris..oops..-JudyS on 6/08/00 at 19:51 (021544)

So John, what are their names?

Nancy S. on 6/08/00 at 20:16 (021548)

Hi Judy Judy Judy! There is now a good chance that I won't slip and call you Chris when you arrive at our humble bungalow. Yes, that Laurie, she did get extremely clever, didn't she? Poor John.
Yes, I Wear No Orthotics. (Music please . . .) I haven't worn my hikin boots much lately either, though -- ever since I got the Nebraska Birks a couple of weeks ago. But when I do wear the hikers, no orthotics. I believe I'm through with them all. They all mess up my arch.
Your Maggie 'friend' has joined a nasty bandwagon.
Now Judy, when you set out on your trip, BE CAREFUL. There has certainly been a run of bad luck on this board for vacationers. I was feeling bad that we don't get a vacation this year, but I'm getting the feeling that I'm better off staying home (as if I haven't seen enough of home this year). So take it easy, won't you? --Nancy

Re: vacation

JudyS on 6/08/00 at 23:14 (021555)

Yes Nancy, you're right. I mentioned earlier that, after hearing from poor Kim, I'm starting to reconsider my vacation plans! As if PF didn't give us all enough to think about!

About those orthotics - today was the first day since I removed the orthotics that I've had little or no arch pain. My heels, however, have flared up. A result, I'm sure, of having been on them quite a bit early in the week. But as far as I'm concerned, after reading so much from so many points of view here, I'm certain that with continued conservative treatment and care, I will continue to progress. I'm close to perfecting my own massage (getting strong arms too!) and I adore my new wrap-around cold packs. Having said that, be sure to have room to share on that good ole' hassock of yours!

Re: vacation -- and shoes and massage

Nancy S. on 6/09/00 at 06:52 (021561)

Hi Judy, now that we know the possible animal factor in ruining a vacation, be sure to stay away from those skunks.
Regarding orthotics, what shoes are you going orthoticless in? My hikers seem to have a good combo of support and a bit of heel cushioning, just a little.
My foot pain, when I have it, seems to migrate around now, as others have posted. So I find switching shoes to be important. The Nebraska Birks work best for me, but when my feet get achy in any spot, I switch to my Boston Birks or the hikers, and the switching seems to prevent any one spot from becoming a real flare-up.
The achilles tendon has become a problem for me in my PF foot, but not as bad as it was when I first started trying normal activities are my long rest. By the end of the day, even if I haven't done much that day, the tendon is tight and tender and there is swelling around both sides of it, sort of under the ankles. My routine now is to soak both my feet in hot hot water at the end of the day; then massage; then I tie a freezer pak around the achilles and ankle and roll a frozen ice bottle under my foot for ten minutes. Then I sit still for a while until everything calms down, often with the night splint on. This usually helps and seems to prepare the foot for another day.
I want to see your massage techniques, will you give me a demo? I will have a special upholstered foot stool ready for you. I'll put your name on it, if I can remember what it is!
--Nancy

Beverly on 6/08/00 at 16:38 (021530)

Chris,

Call animal control to get those skunks. The last thing you need is to have the stress of getting sprayed and taking a bath in tomato juice or worse yet, getting bitten or having your kids bitten and going through painful rabies shots. That's what animal control is there for.

But I'm a city girl. To me, wild animals are dogs walking the street with no collar.

I may sound heartless. I guess we could name them before they are sent off to skunk heaven.

Beverly

Nancy S. on 6/08/00 at 18:05 (021532)

Chris (but when do we change your name?), I personally would name the mother Maggie, and the three kid skunks Peaches, Scout, and Spotless. --Nancy

JudyS on 6/08/00 at 18:13 (021534)

Well Nancy, given that LaurieR got very clever very early, I now have time on my hands so let me introduce myself to the rest of our crowd......I'm Judy, pleased to meet you!

Do you remember that I was fed up with my orthotics last week so gave them up? My arch pain is at least 65% better this week. Hmmmmm. Did you ever go back to using your orthotics?

'Peaches, Scout, & Spotless' are perfect. I may have trouble with 'Maggie' because that's the name of an acquaintance who left her family to go marry a fella she found on the internet.......I'm still having trouble with that and it wasn't even MY family!

Re: oops.......

JudyS on 6/08/00 at 18:20 (021535)

sorry you guys..........I didn't make the cross-reference in my introduction! I'm Judy - formerly known as ChrisO! Chris is my son's name and the O comes from O'Neil - Neil is my other son's name and his friends call him O'Neill from the surfing logo.

john h on 6/08/00 at 19:01 (021538)

i have two mama raccoons and about 7 babies that eat cat food in my back yard each night. also a couple of oppussum and the cats, coons, and oppossum have all eaten out of the same bowl at the same time.

Chris..oops..-JudyS on 6/08/00 at 19:51 (021544)

So John, what are their names?

Nancy S. on 6/08/00 at 20:16 (021548)

Hi Judy Judy Judy! There is now a good chance that I won't slip and call you Chris when you arrive at our humble bungalow. Yes, that Laurie, she did get extremely clever, didn't she? Poor John.
Yes, I Wear No Orthotics. (Music please . . .) I haven't worn my hikin boots much lately either, though -- ever since I got the Nebraska Birks a couple of weeks ago. But when I do wear the hikers, no orthotics. I believe I'm through with them all. They all mess up my arch.
Your Maggie 'friend' has joined a nasty bandwagon.
Now Judy, when you set out on your trip, BE CAREFUL. There has certainly been a run of bad luck on this board for vacationers. I was feeling bad that we don't get a vacation this year, but I'm getting the feeling that I'm better off staying home (as if I haven't seen enough of home this year). So take it easy, won't you? --Nancy

Re: vacation

JudyS on 6/08/00 at 23:14 (021555)

Yes Nancy, you're right. I mentioned earlier that, after hearing from poor Kim, I'm starting to reconsider my vacation plans! As if PF didn't give us all enough to think about!

About those orthotics - today was the first day since I removed the orthotics that I've had little or no arch pain. My heels, however, have flared up. A result, I'm sure, of having been on them quite a bit early in the week. But as far as I'm concerned, after reading so much from so many points of view here, I'm certain that with continued conservative treatment and care, I will continue to progress. I'm close to perfecting my own massage (getting strong arms too!) and I adore my new wrap-around cold packs. Having said that, be sure to have room to share on that good ole' hassock of yours!

Re: vacation -- and shoes and massage

Nancy S. on 6/09/00 at 06:52 (021561)

Hi Judy, now that we know the possible animal factor in ruining a vacation, be sure to stay away from those skunks.
Regarding orthotics, what shoes are you going orthoticless in? My hikers seem to have a good combo of support and a bit of heel cushioning, just a little.
My foot pain, when I have it, seems to migrate around now, as others have posted. So I find switching shoes to be important. The Nebraska Birks work best for me, but when my feet get achy in any spot, I switch to my Boston Birks or the hikers, and the switching seems to prevent any one spot from becoming a real flare-up.
The achilles tendon has become a problem for me in my PF foot, but not as bad as it was when I first started trying normal activities are my long rest. By the end of the day, even if I haven't done much that day, the tendon is tight and tender and there is swelling around both sides of it, sort of under the ankles. My routine now is to soak both my feet in hot hot water at the end of the day; then massage; then I tie a freezer pak around the achilles and ankle and roll a frozen ice bottle under my foot for ten minutes. Then I sit still for a while until everything calms down, often with the night splint on. This usually helps and seems to prepare the foot for another day.
I want to see your massage techniques, will you give me a demo? I will have a special upholstered foot stool ready for you. I'll put your name on it, if I can remember what it is!
--Nancy