Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

to Beverly, it's a long post

Posted by Rosie A on 6/09/00 at 13:19 (021581)

Hey Beverly, where in the south do you live? I live in Austin, Texas and we can have some pretty miserable summers! I was diagnosed with PF in both feet back in Nov. 99. I had been stubborned and ignored the pain for about 6 months prior to going to the doctor. I ran the usual course, shots, orthodics, night splint and finally the boot. The shots didn't help, the orthodics hurt and night splint was good and the boot helped somewhat. It did make my right foot hurt worse though since I had to favor it more. Also had to have my back adjusted once or twice by the chiro. that does my massage therapy. To make a long story short, when I went back after 6 weeks in the cast, I was a little better but it still hurt. My pod at the time said, well I guess I can't do anything else for you, so see you later. I was so pissed off it wasn't even funny. So I remembered seeing an ad for a pod., during one of the local wrestling shows. Turns out he was covered by my insurance, so I made an appointment with him. He had me walk for him so he could watch the way I walk. We talked for about a half hour before he messed with my feet. Turns out, PF is not my main problem anymore. I have TTS now. He thinks having my orthodics mis-adjusted hurt more than hurt. He taped my feet up (oh what a relief) and adjusted my inserts differently. I must say that they are actually almost comfortable. He has been alternating ice and heat on the TTS area. I'm feeling much better in my right foot but my left still bugs me. I go back the last week of June. Sorry about the long post. I hope your cast works for you. Just watch the way you walk, try to keep it on as much as you can and try to keep elevated.Let me know how your doing.

Rosie

Re: reply to Rosie

Beverly on 6/09/00 at 21:48 (021597)

Hi Rosie,

I'm in Corpus. Sounds like you have really been through the wringer with your feet! How did you get diagosed with TTS? Out of curiosity,
did your pain come on suddenly or gradually? How much better do you feel now?

I sometimes wonder about TTS, because from time to time I get that 'pins and needles feeling,' but neither pod I've seen thinks I have that. My new pod thinks I may have some nerve entrapment but nothing so serious as to be TTS.

Somewhere in the last few days, I've posted about getting rid of the cast. To sum it up, the new pod did an x-ray... said there was no stress fracture, and that he rarely uses the cast unless there is a fracture, because it causes other problems. Also, the cast made my foot burn, go semi-numb, and tingle. That worried me. But if I took it off, those symptoms went away. I have a history of upperback problems, and even two days of being in the thing was starting to bother my back. So I was very happy to get rid of it. I have wondered if I had the straps too tight and if the numbness was circulation. My feet still hurt, but I am a happy camper just getting rid of the cast.

I have no idea if this new plan will work. It seems very conservative for someone who's had three months of painful PF. But he promises me that if I do it his way for three weeks, if I don't feel much better,
he'll do an MRI. Plus, he seems to really care and seems totally into the study of feet; so I have hope. He's taken me out of my custom orthodics (soft) and put me into thick gel inserts... very cushy. I've only had them for one day. I won't pass judgement of them yet. They were expensive... $65.00 from an orthodics store but alot cheaper than custom orthodics. He has also taken me off Vioxx and put me on Feldane. He says Feldane has been the most successful anti-inflam. in his experience... at least for foot pain, and that a new study are shows cardiac risks with Vioxx. He says that 90% of his patients get well from these inserts, Feldane, and rest.

Don't ever apologize for long posts. I'm a wordy person. By the way, have you been to The Whole Earth Providence Store in Austin? (shoe store) They have one in San Antonio. I haven't been but want to go when I feel up to it.

Beverly

Rosie A on 6/12/00 at 12:41 (021710)

Hey Beverly,

We have a friend in Corpus that does the morning show on C101. I don't know if you listen to Classic Rock but his name is Rex Gabriel. When my feet first started bothering me it was gradually. Me being the subborn person I am, decided to ignore it, it will go away. I wasn't about to miss out on the tournament season. AFter awhile it became constant and the next thing you know, I'm hobbling around and my mom of 70 plus is walking faster then me. About the TTS, when I described to the new guy where my foot was consistly bothering me, he started tapping around my ankle. The other doc had never done that so I was wondering what was going on. Once he got to a certain spot, it was like little bolts of electricity shooting through my foot. If you've ever banged your elbow really hard and feel something shooting through your arm, well that's what it felt like. He said that TTS is fairly common with people who are involved in martial arts because of the way we shape our feet and the way we stand. My right foot is feeling better. I don't hobble to much anymore. The pain is to the point where it's just a dull ache but my left foot...I'm glad you got the cast off and I hope your doctor can help you out. He sound pretty nice. I've never been to Whole Earth because everything sounds way too expensive when I've looked at their ads. Looks like a really neat place though. I don't know what the dr. going to do next time I see him but I'll keep you posted. Here's to happy feet soon!Rosie

Beverly on 6/09/00 at 21:48 (021597)

Hi Rosie,

I'm in Corpus. Sounds like you have really been through the wringer with your feet! How did you get diagosed with TTS? Out of curiosity,
did your pain come on suddenly or gradually? How much better do you feel now?

I sometimes wonder about TTS, because from time to time I get that 'pins and needles feeling,' but neither pod I've seen thinks I have that. My new pod thinks I may have some nerve entrapment but nothing so serious as to be TTS.

Somewhere in the last few days, I've posted about getting rid of the cast. To sum it up, the new pod did an x-ray... said there was no stress fracture, and that he rarely uses the cast unless there is a fracture, because it causes other problems. Also, the cast made my foot burn, go semi-numb, and tingle. That worried me. But if I took it off, those symptoms went away. I have a history of upperback problems, and even two days of being in the thing was starting to bother my back. So I was very happy to get rid of it. I have wondered if I had the straps too tight and if the numbness was circulation. My feet still hurt, but I am a happy camper just getting rid of the cast.

I have no idea if this new plan will work. It seems very conservative for someone who's had three months of painful PF. But he promises me that if I do it his way for three weeks, if I don't feel much better,
he'll do an MRI. Plus, he seems to really care and seems totally into the study of feet; so I have hope. He's taken me out of my custom orthodics (soft) and put me into thick gel inserts... very cushy. I've only had them for one day. I won't pass judgement of them yet. They were expensive... $65.00 from an orthodics store but alot cheaper than custom orthodics. He has also taken me off Vioxx and put me on Feldane. He says Feldane has been the most successful anti-inflam. in his experience... at least for foot pain, and that a new study are shows cardiac risks with Vioxx. He says that 90% of his patients get well from these inserts, Feldane, and rest.

Don't ever apologize for long posts. I'm a wordy person. By the way, have you been to The Whole Earth Providence Store in Austin? (shoe store) They have one in San Antonio. I haven't been but want to go when I feel up to it.

Beverly

Rosie A on 6/12/00 at 12:41 (021710)

Hey Beverly,

We have a friend in Corpus that does the morning show on C101. I don't know if you listen to Classic Rock but his name is Rex Gabriel. When my feet first started bothering me it was gradually. Me being the subborn person I am, decided to ignore it, it will go away. I wasn't about to miss out on the tournament season. AFter awhile it became constant and the next thing you know, I'm hobbling around and my mom of 70 plus is walking faster then me. About the TTS, when I described to the new guy where my foot was consistly bothering me, he started tapping around my ankle. The other doc had never done that so I was wondering what was going on. Once he got to a certain spot, it was like little bolts of electricity shooting through my foot. If you've ever banged your elbow really hard and feel something shooting through your arm, well that's what it felt like. He said that TTS is fairly common with people who are involved in martial arts because of the way we shape our feet and the way we stand. My right foot is feeling better. I don't hobble to much anymore. The pain is to the point where it's just a dull ache but my left foot...I'm glad you got the cast off and I hope your doctor can help you out. He sound pretty nice. I've never been to Whole Earth because everything sounds way too expensive when I've looked at their ads. Looks like a really neat place though. I don't know what the dr. going to do next time I see him but I'll keep you posted. Here's to happy feet soon!Rosie