Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Bob G. on 6/10/00 at 00:37 (021601)

Heel pain is a major annoyance. If you want to get rid of the pain, stop doing whatever it is that is causing the pain. For many, this means resting the foot for a period of time.

For some, streching is the answer. The arch support insert has helped many. For others, total rest is required before recovery. Then, use of the nightsplint and subsequent gentle stretching.

I am thankful to be 13 weeks painfree.

Happy Birthday, Judy! (wish I could be there!)


Re: Heel Pain

Kim B. on 6/10/00 at 12:05 (021606)

Bob forgot to mention what a help shower shoes can be for many. Newbies, do a message board seach (above) with the keywords 'shower shoes' to learn more about it.

(Happy Birthday Judy, we wish we could be there too! :-)

Regards, Kim B.


Re: Heel Pain

Beverly on 6/10/00 at 12:47 (021609)

Bob,

How wonderful that you are painfree for this long! You give me hope.
Beverly


Re: Success

Bob G. on 6/10/00 at 13:14 (021612)

Yes, Beverly, I am very thankful to be painfree this long. I'll never forget the pain and frustration of it all.

I am walking carefully at this point because of a sore knee (it's getting better every day). I want to get back to gradual easy jogging and eventually full jogging with proper gear. I am finding that this additional 'rest' is good for my feet. I no longer feel that I am 'close to the edge' of relapse into PF misery. I say, 'Rest is good. More rest is better. A lot of rest (with common-sense exercise) is best.'

The only reason I am not presently using my NightSplint is because of this sore knee. I am really pampering the knee being careful not to twist or strain it (a la NightSplint tossing and turning during sleep) and taking Fish Oil with Omega 3 per my Dad's suggestion. His knees don't hurt.

All parts are connected I am learning more now than ever. Mental, phisical, spiritual, emotional, social, and even financial aspects have an effect on your well-being. Good health to all and have a great day! BG


Re: Heel Pain

Angie on 6/10/00 at 20:11 (021624)

Bob- I agree totally. I have had PF for 7 months. Never listened to my feet-kept going regardless of pain. The last two months I have listened to them and rested when they began to hurt. I also wear my Birk sandals and take Bromelain. I have pretty much been pain free now for 2 weeks. Sure I get a little pain here and there but nothing like it was and when I get the minor pain now (use to be major pain) I rest my feet. I am confident that it is gonna get better and better. I would say I am presently 85% healed. The other 15% will come I just have to be patient and listen to my feet

Re: Heel Pain

Nancy S. on 6/10/00 at 22:19 (021627)

Angie, you sound like you're making great progress. Do you do any stretching at all, or any special strengthening exercises? I've had PF for over a year now, but have had a lot of improvement in the last 4 or so months. However, I don't think I could put myself at 85% -- probably more like 65 or 70%. There has a been a lot of info., and discussion, on the board over the last several months about the pros and cons of stretching (calf, foot, etc.). I'm just wondering if this has been a part of your recovery so far, and what you think of it. Thanks. --Nancy

Re: Heel Pain

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 00:07 (021636)

Angie, and Nancy,

Rest, rest, rest. Don't be afraid to just rest those poor feet. Give them more rest, and then some.

From what I see on this Board, many are impatient. Hey, lighten up and rest 'em.

Rest, rest and more rest. (Nancy, you know) so just do it! Rest those poor feet.


Re: Heel Pain

Kim B. on 6/10/00 at 12:05 (021606)

Bob forgot to mention what a help shower shoes can be for many. Newbies, do a message board seach (above) with the keywords 'shower shoes' to learn more about it.

(Happy Birthday Judy, we wish we could be there too! :-)

Regards, Kim B.


Re: Heel Pain

Beverly on 6/10/00 at 12:47 (021609)

Bob,

How wonderful that you are painfree for this long! You give me hope.
Beverly


Re: Success

Bob G. on 6/10/00 at 13:14 (021612)

Yes, Beverly, I am very thankful to be painfree this long. I'll never forget the pain and frustration of it all.

I am walking carefully at this point because of a sore knee (it's getting better every day). I want to get back to gradual easy jogging and eventually full jogging with proper gear. I am finding that this additional 'rest' is good for my feet. I no longer feel that I am 'close to the edge' of relapse into PF misery. I say, 'Rest is good. More rest is better. A lot of rest (with common-sense exercise) is best.'

The only reason I am not presently using my NightSplint is because of this sore knee. I am really pampering the knee being careful not to twist or strain it (a la NightSplint tossing and turning during sleep) and taking Fish Oil with Omega 3 per my Dad's suggestion. His knees don't hurt.

All parts are connected I am learning more now than ever. Mental, phisical, spiritual, emotional, social, and even financial aspects have an effect on your well-being. Good health to all and have a great day! BG


Re: Heel Pain

Angie on 6/10/00 at 20:11 (021624)

Bob- I agree totally. I have had PF for 7 months. Never listened to my feet-kept going regardless of pain. The last two months I have listened to them and rested when they began to hurt. I also wear my Birk sandals and take Bromelain. I have pretty much been pain free now for 2 weeks. Sure I get a little pain here and there but nothing like it was and when I get the minor pain now (use to be major pain) I rest my feet. I am confident that it is gonna get better and better. I would say I am presently 85% healed. The other 15% will come I just have to be patient and listen to my feet

Re: Heel Pain

Nancy S. on 6/10/00 at 22:19 (021627)

Angie, you sound like you're making great progress. Do you do any stretching at all, or any special strengthening exercises? I've had PF for over a year now, but have had a lot of improvement in the last 4 or so months. However, I don't think I could put myself at 85% -- probably more like 65 or 70%. There has a been a lot of info., and discussion, on the board over the last several months about the pros and cons of stretching (calf, foot, etc.). I'm just wondering if this has been a part of your recovery so far, and what you think of it. Thanks. --Nancy

Re: Heel Pain

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 00:07 (021636)

Angie, and Nancy,

Rest, rest, rest. Don't be afraid to just rest those poor feet. Give them more rest, and then some.

From what I see on this Board, many are impatient. Hey, lighten up and rest 'em.

Rest, rest and more rest. (Nancy, you know) so just do it! Rest those poor feet.