Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Odds and ends :-)

Posted by Kim B. on 6/11/00 at 00:13 (021637)

Hello PFers,

I found a cute lil trick that I haven't seen mentioned before, so I'll do it. Ya know the 10 oz. frozen water bottles that can be used for foot massage and icing? (don't fill them all the way, btw,) I found that if I put a sock over them they are much more comfortable.

And, remember someone once posted to be careful when you clean out the litter box because of the strain the squating position puts on your arches? Same thing goes for weeding the flower beds. I was out there today, and felt a little pull. Watch out for this. Gardening season is upon us.

One more, no charge... Self foot massage is usually hard for me, but I soaked in a tub this evening and noted that if you have a deep enough tub (or pool) self massage is easier UNDER WATER, cause everything is less heavy and the leg resistance is not as difficult.

Hope these little tidbits make a difference for someone.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Odds and ends :-)

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 08:27 (021643)

In the past week my pf has been starting up again . I also have neuroma pain. Anyway, I have been using the opposite back of of my heel instead of my hands. to do foot massages. It really works. It do them anytime I am sitting. you can control depth, pressure and move the heel ( instead of hand), with good control If this doesn't go away or got worse I will need a podiatrist. I can't figure out what started this except that I started posting on this board. !!!!

Re: We're so sorry Doctor Z.

Beverly on 6/11/00 at 11:53 (021645)

I'm so sorry to hear your PF is acting up again. No wonder you have such an interest in this stuff. I hope you get better soon.
I'm don't know what a nueroma is. I know I keep hearing that mentioned by you and others on this board.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 15:08 (021652)

Neuroma is a pinched nerve in between the metarsal bones. Usually between the third and fourth toes.

Kim B. on 6/11/00 at 16:04 (021655)

Dr. Z, Wow, you're one of us! Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the massage tip I'll see if I can get in the habit too. Massage has definately been a factor in my slow recovery. But I've been paying a professional to do it for me. The more I can do for myself the better.

My Bro-n-law had a neroma near his toes too. He said it was like walking on an marble, ouch. He had his removed not long ago. Haven't had a progress report from him lately. He was just relieved to get it out.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/11/00 at 20:12 (021667)

i posted about getting up on my toes when emptying the kitty litter box. i now do it flat footed with bent knees. sort of stretches the legs. the $6 Ace cold wrap is the best i have come across for icing the foot. you can fit it into any position and it will stay put.

john h on 6/11/00 at 20:14 (021668)

the big question is dr. z : are you going to ge an orbasone treatment???????

Kim B. on 6/11/00 at 20:56 (021674)

Hi John, I thought was you, but I would have had to research it to verify it. (Search on 'litter box') The ace wrap sounds great. The nice thing for newbies to keep in mind about the old water bottle trick is that they will do double duty... icing and massage at the same time. I found the sock trick also keeps them from sliding all over a hard floor so, when needed, I will ice and massage my feet while sitting at the dinner table. This makes me a delightful dinner companion!

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 6/11/00 at 22:20 (021681)

Now John, I guess there were two of us who posted about the best way for PFers to clean out the litter box -- a crucial topic, don't you think? You probably have the better way. (I posted that I had decided to sit right down on the floor and do it, and that's what I do to this day.) I wish there were more daily tasks I could do while sitting on the floor, but the washing machine is just too high a throw for me. And there are critters in the cellar.
--Nancy

Re: massage idea for Dr. Z

alan k on 6/12/00 at 08:26 (021693)

I'm sorry to hear this all too, but glad you are getting relief with self-massage. Try massaging the calves too by taking them with both thumbs and gently circling around.

Then, the important part, press your thumb slowly but firmly on spots for about 2-3 seconds each, beginning about 2' below the knee and go down a line in 1/2' increments to the end of the soleus, making a line. Do three lines, inside, middle, outside calf.

I suspect you will find some tender points in there. These you should press for 7-8 seconds to release.

Then finish with the gentle rubbing around you started with.

Dedicated practice of this will probably releive alot, especially if you are already responding to massage.

Hope this helps,

alan k

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 08:33 (021694)

It helps me, Alan. Thanks for posting this. --Nancy

john h on 6/12/00 at 09:38 (021697)

nancy: you are right i do remember your post about the litter box. if you can do it flat footed with knees bent it seems it would provide a nice stretch to your achilles and lower leg muscles. alan can probably tell us that. i was always amazed in Thailand how the natives could squat flat footed for hours on end. most of us tend to sqaut standing mostly on our toes. our ham strings and will not allow us to stay in the flat footed position for very long.

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 09:54 (021700)

Excellent point, John -- I am a slacker on stretching, or maybe just confused so I have avoidance phases -- but that's an easy way to slip in a stretch. So as of this moment I will convert to flat-footed squatting while cat litter box cleaning. Having three cats, I find this task to be all too frequent! --Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman-thanks on 6/12/00 at 15:47 (021722)

Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/12/00 at 22:14 (021741)

It's the whole pf. Not the insertion.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:56 (021768)

nancy: i have two indoor cats and 3 outdoor strays i feed along with numeous raccoons and oppossum. last week i was on my front poarch about 11pm and a dog was under the street light in front of house. i went out to pet him and when i got within about 10 feet i realized is was a red fox (probably stalking my cats). he trotted on down the street.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 08:27 (021643)

In the past week my pf has been starting up again . I also have neuroma pain. Anyway, I have been using the opposite back of of my heel instead of my hands. to do foot massages. It really works. It do them anytime I am sitting. you can control depth, pressure and move the heel ( instead of hand), with good control If this doesn't go away or got worse I will need a podiatrist. I can't figure out what started this except that I started posting on this board. !!!!

Beverly on 6/11/00 at 11:53 (021645)

I'm so sorry to hear your PF is acting up again. No wonder you have such an interest in this stuff. I hope you get better soon.
I'm don't know what a nueroma is. I know I keep hearing that mentioned by you and others on this board.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 15:08 (021652)

Neuroma is a pinched nerve in between the metarsal bones. Usually between the third and fourth toes.

Kim B. on 6/11/00 at 16:04 (021655)

Dr. Z, Wow, you're one of us! Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the massage tip I'll see if I can get in the habit too. Massage has definately been a factor in my slow recovery. But I've been paying a professional to do it for me. The more I can do for myself the better.

My Bro-n-law had a neroma near his toes too. He said it was like walking on an marble, ouch. He had his removed not long ago. Haven't had a progress report from him lately. He was just relieved to get it out.

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/11/00 at 20:12 (021667)

i posted about getting up on my toes when emptying the kitty litter box. i now do it flat footed with bent knees. sort of stretches the legs. the $6 Ace cold wrap is the best i have come across for icing the foot. you can fit it into any position and it will stay put.

john h on 6/11/00 at 20:14 (021668)

the big question is dr. z : are you going to ge an orbasone treatment???????

Kim B. on 6/11/00 at 20:56 (021674)

Hi John, I thought was you, but I would have had to research it to verify it. (Search on 'litter box') The ace wrap sounds great. The nice thing for newbies to keep in mind about the old water bottle trick is that they will do double duty... icing and massage at the same time. I found the sock trick also keeps them from sliding all over a hard floor so, when needed, I will ice and massage my feet while sitting at the dinner table. This makes me a delightful dinner companion!

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 6/11/00 at 22:20 (021681)

Now John, I guess there were two of us who posted about the best way for PFers to clean out the litter box -- a crucial topic, don't you think? You probably have the better way. (I posted that I had decided to sit right down on the floor and do it, and that's what I do to this day.) I wish there were more daily tasks I could do while sitting on the floor, but the washing machine is just too high a throw for me. And there are critters in the cellar.
--Nancy

alan k on 6/12/00 at 08:26 (021693)

I'm sorry to hear this all too, but glad you are getting relief with self-massage. Try massaging the calves too by taking them with both thumbs and gently circling around.

Then, the important part, press your thumb slowly but firmly on spots for about 2-3 seconds each, beginning about 2' below the knee and go down a line in 1/2' increments to the end of the soleus, making a line. Do three lines, inside, middle, outside calf.

I suspect you will find some tender points in there. These you should press for 7-8 seconds to release.

Then finish with the gentle rubbing around you started with.

Dedicated practice of this will probably releive alot, especially if you are already responding to massage.

Hope this helps,

alan k

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 08:33 (021694)

It helps me, Alan. Thanks for posting this. --Nancy

john h on 6/12/00 at 09:38 (021697)

nancy: you are right i do remember your post about the litter box. if you can do it flat footed with knees bent it seems it would provide a nice stretch to your achilles and lower leg muscles. alan can probably tell us that. i was always amazed in Thailand how the natives could squat flat footed for hours on end. most of us tend to sqaut standing mostly on our toes. our ham strings and will not allow us to stay in the flat footed position for very long.

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 09:54 (021700)

Excellent point, John -- I am a slacker on stretching, or maybe just confused so I have avoidance phases -- but that's an easy way to slip in a stretch. So as of this moment I will convert to flat-footed squatting while cat litter box cleaning. Having three cats, I find this task to be all too frequent! --Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman-thanks on 6/12/00 at 15:47 (021722)

Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/12/00 at 22:14 (021741)

It's the whole pf. Not the insertion.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:56 (021768)

nancy: i have two indoor cats and 3 outdoor strays i feed along with numeous raccoons and oppossum. last week i was on my front poarch about 11pm and a dog was under the street light in front of house. i went out to pet him and when i got within about 10 feet i realized is was a red fox (probably stalking my cats). he trotted on down the street.