Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Encouragement

Posted by Elise on 6/11/00 at 06:06 (021639)

Hello to all,
This month would've been a year for me with PF. I say would've because I'm back to my old self again. I began a job Monday as a Corrections Officer in a State Prison and you are on your feet for 8 hours (more if you get stuck with mandatory OT) I am back to walking my dog for long walks, beginners running (run, pant, walk, repeat, lol) I am sure I had a less severe case of PF than most of you. I also found myself consumed by a passion to beat the pain and disability, so I RELIGIOUSLY did my stretching. I find myself stretching unconsciously when at the puter or dinner table or even watching TV. When I'm standing, I'm constantly shifting my weight from one foot to the other (sometimes I think mothers do this best because we're used to rocking when holding a child) I appear to be in constant motion and sometimes I'm told to stand still by others who don't know the reason for what I'm doing, too bad for them......I'm back to wearing regular shoes without arch supports or heel pads. Some nights I can tell I've over done it and they're sore, but good old Tylenol usually does the trick. Anyway, I wanted to tell you, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I think of you all daily and pray that success, peace and painlessness will be yours in time. Feel better.................Elise

Re: Encouragement

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 08:22 (021642)

Watch your shoes for replacement in the heels. A little wear on the outside is ok but with all of your standing etc, the shoes need to be checked just like tires on a car except every three months. Think of it as an oil change.

Re: Heels

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 14:13 (021648)

Dr. Zuckerman,

My old shoes show a little more wear on the inside of the heel. Does this mean I am a Suppinator and should re-enforce my heels?

I am learning to watch other people walk and guess what they are (hehehe!). Thanks! BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 15:07 (021651)

Inside wear is a pronator. It is ok to alittle wear on the outside (lateral ) side of the heel. Any wear on the medial inside change the heel . Use a re-enforcement on the heels it sames wear

Pauline on 6/11/00 at 17:24 (021660)

Bob,
You'll probably try guessing belly buttons next. Their more of a challenge because they don't slant. My self------Well I just
took a clip board and pen to the Mall and ask folks walking by to help with my scientific study. Want to know the results?

Steve P on 6/11/00 at 17:40 (021662)

Elise --- Thanks so much for your post. There are many of us out here plugging away at treatment, rejoicing at even the slightest improvement, & hoping fondly to be where you are one day. It's very good of you to return to the board & give us encouragement. It really means a lot! Thanks again.

john h on 6/11/00 at 20:08 (021666)

bob g: walking behind other people and watching their foot movements and foot striking is an education in itself. i wonder why some people do not fractrue their foot with each step

Re: Running Shoes

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 22:12 (021678)

Pauline, a good Pedorthist may help you find the right shoe. Good luck! BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 08:22 (021642)

Watch your shoes for replacement in the heels. A little wear on the outside is ok but with all of your standing etc, the shoes need to be checked just like tires on a car except every three months. Think of it as an oil change.

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 14:13 (021648)

Dr. Zuckerman,

My old shoes show a little more wear on the inside of the heel. Does this mean I am a Suppinator and should re-enforce my heels?

I am learning to watch other people walk and guess what they are (hehehe!). Thanks! BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/11/00 at 15:07 (021651)

Inside wear is a pronator. It is ok to alittle wear on the outside (lateral ) side of the heel. Any wear on the medial inside change the heel . Use a re-enforcement on the heels it sames wear

Pauline on 6/11/00 at 17:24 (021660)

Bob,
You'll probably try guessing belly buttons next. Their more of a challenge because they don't slant. My self------Well I just
took a clip board and pen to the Mall and ask folks walking by to help with my scientific study. Want to know the results?

Steve P on 6/11/00 at 17:40 (021662)

Elise --- Thanks so much for your post. There are many of us out here plugging away at treatment, rejoicing at even the slightest improvement, & hoping fondly to be where you are one day. It's very good of you to return to the board & give us encouragement. It really means a lot! Thanks again.

john h on 6/11/00 at 20:08 (021666)

bob g: walking behind other people and watching their foot movements and foot striking is an education in itself. i wonder why some people do not fractrue their foot with each step

Re: Running Shoes

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 22:12 (021678)

Pauline, a good Pedorthist may help you find the right shoe. Good luck! BG