Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running Shoes

Posted by Pauline on 6/11/00 at 21:34 (021676)

Has anyone else had trouble finding running shoes that feel comfortable? I think I have tried on 100 pair and none really feel
comfortable under my arch. I'm really tired of the size change. I notice in many running magazines they tell you to size up 1/2 to 1 whole size. Why can't they just make shoes to the American last. When was the last time a size 9 shoe was really a 9?

Re: Running Shoes

Shari H. on 6/11/00 at 22:06 (021677)

Pauline, I know what you mean about sizes being different!! It varies from brand to brand too. I work in a sporting goods store in the footwear department. You may want to try New Balance shoes. If you have a normal to low arch, look for their shoes that are an SL-1 last. It usually has it inside the shoe where your heel goes. If you have a high arch, look for SL-2.These are harder to find, some better ones from them are the 878 or 762(761). Most of the other running shoes are an SL-1. I also have had good luck with the high end Nikes, because they have alot of cushion in the entire foot. Good luck!

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 22:15 (021680)

Hello, Pauline! I love my New Balance running shoes. A good Pedorthist may be of help finding the right shoe.

Good luck! BG

sue on 6/12/00 at 00:35 (021683)

Pauline, I tried on so many pairs when I was diagnosed with pf. Finally settled on a pair of Nikes that had a full size insert and an additional arch support insert. I did have to go up 1/2 size.I have heard really good things about New Balance but I think you just have to try different brands and walk around in them for awhile....good luck!

john h on 6/12/00 at 09:41 (021698)

most running shoes if any do not provide arch support just a simple insert. if you are looking for support with running shoes then you will need to purchase an insert that offers it.

Joel K on 6/27/00 at 14:58 (022503)

I've worn Nike Air Max Triax with an extra insert for a few years and they've been the only ones i've had that didn't hurt my knees. 'course they don't make 'em any more and i developed pf while wearing them, but i still recommend them. : oh, and they don't seem to last so well.

Shari H. on 6/11/00 at 22:06 (021677)

Pauline, I know what you mean about sizes being different!! It varies from brand to brand too. I work in a sporting goods store in the footwear department. You may want to try New Balance shoes. If you have a normal to low arch, look for their shoes that are an SL-1 last. It usually has it inside the shoe where your heel goes. If you have a high arch, look for SL-2.These are harder to find, some better ones from them are the 878 or 762(761). Most of the other running shoes are an SL-1. I also have had good luck with the high end Nikes, because they have alot of cushion in the entire foot. Good luck!

Bob G. on 6/11/00 at 22:15 (021680)

Hello, Pauline! I love my New Balance running shoes. A good Pedorthist may be of help finding the right shoe.

Good luck! BG

sue on 6/12/00 at 00:35 (021683)

Pauline, I tried on so many pairs when I was diagnosed with pf. Finally settled on a pair of Nikes that had a full size insert and an additional arch support insert. I did have to go up 1/2 size.I have heard really good things about New Balance but I think you just have to try different brands and walk around in them for awhile....good luck!

john h on 6/12/00 at 09:41 (021698)

most running shoes if any do not provide arch support just a simple insert. if you are looking for support with running shoes then you will need to purchase an insert that offers it.

Joel K on 6/27/00 at 14:58 (022503)

I've worn Nike Air Max Triax with an extra insert for a few years and they've been the only ones i've had that didn't hurt my knees. 'course they don't make 'em any more and i developed pf while wearing them, but i still recommend them. : oh, and they don't seem to last so well.