Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yippee! A friend is taking me shopping for Birks!Thanks for all your advice

Posted by Beverly on 6/12/00 at 13:21 (021714)

Yippee! I have a Birks wearing friend who was delighted over the prospects of a trip to the Big City for Birks. It's a 2.5 hour drive.
I hated asking her to drive me, but I also figured that no one wants to drive that far and back alone... even foot healthy people; so she just perked right up over the idea of a Birks trip.

Thank you so much for all the shopping tips. This board does help.
Without you, I would have ordered the Arizona in two sizes by mail and sent the wrong size back, but still not really known if I got the right size.

So, if I understand right, it should be a snug fit. I'm definitely going to get the Arizona's, and I'll try some of those other styles Robin and Nancy mentioned. I printed out Robin's fitting tips, and I'm taking that with me. My instinct is to get the ones with straps. I'm going to write down what size I wear in every style I like; so I can later order the cheaper way online. But I think I will make my first pair 'store bought.' I'll defer to you veterans.

I hope this works. The Ecco sandals help some; so that makes me encouraged to try Birks.

This sure is getting expensive, but in my quest for well feet, it is worth it.
Thanks a bunch,
Beverly

Re: Yippee! A friend is taking me shopping for Birks!Thanks for all your advice

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 14:26 (021717)

Beverly, that's great! Good for you for asking your friend; it's likely to be a fun trip, you know, since it has a mission and can cause a sort of humorous chaos in the store.
In my hunt for shoes during the last year, for quite a while I tended to just take what I got in the way of salespeople, not wanting to hurt someone's feelings if he or she didn't seem as knowledgeable as someone else in the store. But I've learned that that hanging back can get me nowhere. So I want to suggest that when you enter the store, get more assertive than you ever dreamed you could be. Announce loudly that you have a very bad case of PF and need experienced help. This can all be good-natured, but make the difference between a wasted or life-changing trip. And don't be afraid to try on every style in the store if you want to, and spend a good amount of time in shoes you feel are good possibilities -- at least 20 or 30 minutes. I made a great big mess the last time I went, but I talked enough along with it to sort of bond with the salesperson and enlist her help in this important quest, and she took an interest and it was no problem. Best of luck! --Nancy

Lori K on 6/12/00 at 17:01 (021724)

Beverly,
I know you're leaning towards birks but if they sell Mephistos there and you like them, they gave me a 10% discount since I was buying them for medical reasons. Maybe they would for birks though too. The mephistos I love are sandels, style name Helen, $100. Good luck on your trip!

john h on 6/12/00 at 18:08 (021726)

snug fit--loose fit--etc. take into consideration you may sometimes wear socks and sometimes not and that your feet will be larger in the afternoon than in the morning due to swelling.

Robin B. on 6/12/00 at 18:20 (021728)

Good for you, Bev! Enjoy your trip and take Nancy's good advice. Get real assertive, spends LOTS of time, ask LOTS of questions and walk around the store in all the styles you try on. Hope Birks work for you. Remember -- the absolute worst that will happen is that you blow $80 or $90 on a pair of shoes that don't work. Not a major disaster.

And if they DO work, or even give you moderate relief -- well, I do hope you number among us Birk lovers. They are a great passion to have.

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 19:35 (021731)

Ah, another good point, John, for Beverly to remember. That is a little problem I have with the Boston Birks, which don't have buckles and aren't adjustable -- so I can wear them only when I'm wearing thin socks or no socks (good choice for my only pair of Birks to wear during last winter, eh? What a brain. But I do love them otherwise). The Nebraskas, which have two buckled straps over the foot and one around the back, I can wear with thick, thin, or no socks and adjust the straps accordingly (and I do have to adjust them). This is a good feature of the Arizonas and many other styles. Of course, I probably have 100 pairs of socks, of all colors, thicknesses, vibes, and memories. But I would think most people would want to have that flexibility or choice too. Ya, so Beverly, I agree with John and think you'd be wise to get adjustable buckled straps for your first pair. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 14:26 (021717)

Beverly, that's great! Good for you for asking your friend; it's likely to be a fun trip, you know, since it has a mission and can cause a sort of humorous chaos in the store.
In my hunt for shoes during the last year, for quite a while I tended to just take what I got in the way of salespeople, not wanting to hurt someone's feelings if he or she didn't seem as knowledgeable as someone else in the store. But I've learned that that hanging back can get me nowhere. So I want to suggest that when you enter the store, get more assertive than you ever dreamed you could be. Announce loudly that you have a very bad case of PF and need experienced help. This can all be good-natured, but make the difference between a wasted or life-changing trip. And don't be afraid to try on every style in the store if you want to, and spend a good amount of time in shoes you feel are good possibilities -- at least 20 or 30 minutes. I made a great big mess the last time I went, but I talked enough along with it to sort of bond with the salesperson and enlist her help in this important quest, and she took an interest and it was no problem. Best of luck! --Nancy

Lori K on 6/12/00 at 17:01 (021724)

Beverly,
I know you're leaning towards birks but if they sell Mephistos there and you like them, they gave me a 10% discount since I was buying them for medical reasons. Maybe they would for birks though too. The mephistos I love are sandels, style name Helen, $100. Good luck on your trip!

john h on 6/12/00 at 18:08 (021726)

snug fit--loose fit--etc. take into consideration you may sometimes wear socks and sometimes not and that your feet will be larger in the afternoon than in the morning due to swelling.

Robin B. on 6/12/00 at 18:20 (021728)

Good for you, Bev! Enjoy your trip and take Nancy's good advice. Get real assertive, spends LOTS of time, ask LOTS of questions and walk around the store in all the styles you try on. Hope Birks work for you. Remember -- the absolute worst that will happen is that you blow $80 or $90 on a pair of shoes that don't work. Not a major disaster.

And if they DO work, or even give you moderate relief -- well, I do hope you number among us Birk lovers. They are a great passion to have.

Nancy S. on 6/12/00 at 19:35 (021731)

Ah, another good point, John, for Beverly to remember. That is a little problem I have with the Boston Birks, which don't have buckles and aren't adjustable -- so I can wear them only when I'm wearing thin socks or no socks (good choice for my only pair of Birks to wear during last winter, eh? What a brain. But I do love them otherwise). The Nebraskas, which have two buckled straps over the foot and one around the back, I can wear with thick, thin, or no socks and adjust the straps accordingly (and I do have to adjust them). This is a good feature of the Arizonas and many other styles. Of course, I probably have 100 pairs of socks, of all colors, thicknesses, vibes, and memories. But I would think most people would want to have that flexibility or choice too. Ya, so Beverly, I agree with John and think you'd be wise to get adjustable buckled straps for your first pair. --Nancy