Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm responsible.......

Posted by JudyS on 6/13/00 at 01:55 (021743)

Hi folks - I've been away from my computer for the last three days (birthday bash and all.....)so just caught up with you. Today is my actual BD and I treated myself to a mile-long jog.........it was breathless heaven! I did the ice, massage, etc. and so far have no painful after-effects. I swear that the smartest thing I've done so far for sore arches is stop wearing the orthotics! I did that about ten days ago and it has made a world of difference. They had created/increased arch pain so much it was ridiculous - above and beyond the heel spur thing! Now my arches are about 65% better with some occasional spasms. I've also been faithfully stretching them (non weight-bearing), massaging them and icing them about three times a day. My order of Ibuprofen cream has not yet arrived so I'm substituting that 'IcyHot' gel and I find it quite effective.

Scott, et al, I apologize sincerely because I'm really the party responsible for the message board having been sidetracked with my silly 'name' contest. I will be better and, by the way, thank you all so much for your Birthday greetings ( I got my first emailed exploding birthday cake from Nancy!).
As far as the possibility of alienating new visitors to the board I thought the point was a good one but I also sort of thought that, if I was new to the Board, the first thing I'd think upon seeing the silliness was that it would not just be an information source, but a friendly information source and I'd want to jump right in and be a part of it. Anyway, again, my apologies Scott and thank you so very much for providing something that really does help us not just help our condition, but gives us an emotional uplift as well.

Re: Happy BD/Keep us posted about "no orthodics"

Beverly on 6/13/00 at 10:11 (021750)

Dear Judy,

Happy Birthday! I'm glad to hear it is going so well.

I too find that orthodics bother my arches. I will be curious to hear how you continue to progess without them. Do you wear over-the-counter inserts or cushions of any kind.

Happy Birthday!
Beverly

alan k on 6/13/00 at 10:57 (021752)

Orthotics made me worse too, and perhaps aggravated tts, though I realize now that I had tts with my pf all along.

I include this just as info, not to knock orthotics in general. Perhaps there are good orthotics and bad orthotics. If I win the lottery (without ever buying tickets), I will do an experiment and report back to the board.

alan k

john h on 6/13/00 at 12:00 (021753)

good orthortics-bad orthotics good doctors-bad doctors good advice-bad advice good wifes-very bad wifes

Re: I'm responsible.......

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 12:28 (021756)

Is this JudyS ChrisO? (You really lost me on that stuff. I just couldn't keep up I guess.)

Anyway, I do well without any inserts at times too. It seems sometimes I need the extra support and sometimes they are a hinderance. Yesterday inserts, today no inserts. I pretty much let my feet tell me what to wear and I throw the inserts in the car so that I have them close by if I need them.

Happy Birthday! Stay young!!

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:52 (021767)

just an opinion but it seems to me constantly wearing or not wearing orthotics is not a good thing. your feet need to get comfortable and able to accomodate what ever is appropriate for you. to wear a shoe with a good arch support one day and then wear a shoe with no arch support the next would seem counter productive.

SueS on 6/13/00 at 19:14 (021772)

What is anyones thoughts for not wearing orthotics with almost flat arch in the PF foot? I started wearing orthotics over 10 years ago because of posterior tibial tendonitis, not PF. And am still wearing them, newer ones. I got PF in Sept. of 1998. I am afraid to try without them. I am not having the traditional PF pain but general aching and some pain . Also heel feels harder than the left. Thanks

Re: John,

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 19:45 (021779)

It's just a difference in the inserts. They both give me good arch support, I wouldn't be able to go very far with out it.

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 6/13/00 at 10:11 (021750)

Dear Judy,

Happy Birthday! I'm glad to hear it is going so well.

I too find that orthodics bother my arches. I will be curious to hear how you continue to progess without them. Do you wear over-the-counter inserts or cushions of any kind.

Happy Birthday!
Beverly

alan k on 6/13/00 at 10:57 (021752)

Orthotics made me worse too, and perhaps aggravated tts, though I realize now that I had tts with my pf all along.

I include this just as info, not to knock orthotics in general. Perhaps there are good orthotics and bad orthotics. If I win the lottery (without ever buying tickets), I will do an experiment and report back to the board.

alan k

john h on 6/13/00 at 12:00 (021753)

good orthortics-bad orthotics good doctors-bad doctors good advice-bad advice good wifes-very bad wifes

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 12:28 (021756)

Is this JudyS ChrisO? (You really lost me on that stuff. I just couldn't keep up I guess.)

Anyway, I do well without any inserts at times too. It seems sometimes I need the extra support and sometimes they are a hinderance. Yesterday inserts, today no inserts. I pretty much let my feet tell me what to wear and I throw the inserts in the car so that I have them close by if I need them.

Happy Birthday! Stay young!!

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 6/13/00 at 17:52 (021767)

just an opinion but it seems to me constantly wearing or not wearing orthotics is not a good thing. your feet need to get comfortable and able to accomodate what ever is appropriate for you. to wear a shoe with a good arch support one day and then wear a shoe with no arch support the next would seem counter productive.

SueS on 6/13/00 at 19:14 (021772)

What is anyones thoughts for not wearing orthotics with almost flat arch in the PF foot? I started wearing orthotics over 10 years ago because of posterior tibial tendonitis, not PF. And am still wearing them, newer ones. I got PF in Sept. of 1998. I am afraid to try without them. I am not having the traditional PF pain but general aching and some pain . Also heel feels harder than the left. Thanks

Re: John,

Kim B. on 6/13/00 at 19:45 (021779)

It's just a difference in the inserts. They both give me good arch support, I wouldn't be able to go very far with out it.

Regards, Kim B.